Junior Slaloms for 6 year old and 8 year old skiing 21-25 mph?

RLW

• Baller
My 6 year old weighs 50 lbs and is running the course at 21 mph on an O'Brien Jr. Amigo. My 8 year old weighs 60 lbs and is nearly running the course at 25 mph - he is also on a Jr. Amigo. I am trying to decide on a new junior ski, possibly 59-61" for my 6 and 8 year old. We have a 61" O'Brien Mapple Siege, but it seems very narrow and didn't seem stable when my older child used it. I am hoping for a quality junior ski that is competitive yet forgiving/stable. Any ideas for them?

• Baller
I have a 6 and 8 year old sharing a 63" D3 Z7 (Between 17 and 23 mph). Seems to be working well. I would recommend going large on the ski size for those ages and speeds. My thought is that as the kids size increases so will their speed and the ski should still be appropriate. It also seems that any D3 makes a pretty good kids stick b/c of the stability.

• Baller_

Once he gets into the high 20's, you could go with a D3 62" RCX. From watching lots of kids, the 62 RCX is the best 30mph ski out there and good through 100lbs or so.

For the slower speeds, the wider shaped Amigo is great. The older style 59-61" skis are way to small for the slower speeds. If you want to try others, pick a D3 between 63 and 65".

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Thanks for the ideas. My older child (who is 10 yo) didn't like the 61" O'Brien, but I tried my 8 yo on it and it seems to work for him. I previously tried the 8 yo on a used 62" 9900 but it seemed too long and fast for him. He controls the 61" better. I guess it's possible that a different brand of longer ski would work well too. It seems like the options are really limited for the young course skiers.

• Baller
I just went through this with my daughter 8yrs. I talked to Seth stisher and he recommended any of the kids skiis, ho, d3 radar etc. he told me to stay with a 62" anything more is too big. The 62's are rated up to 120lbs. We bought the ho slash from wakehouse with bindings for $284. They are still advertising it I think it's down to $265. This ski is a a3 mold. My daughter is loving it

• Baller
I put my youngster on a 63" D3 Nomad RC when he was 7 and could just about run the course. He was on that ski til he was around 5' and 100 lbs and went with a 64.5" ski. He ran 22 off @ 34 with his old d3. His younger brother has got the d3 now, he's 8 yo, 70 lbs, runs the mini-course at 21 mph and looks good on it. I believe the bigger ski helps him with his deep water starts. He's running slow speeds still, so the 63 gives him a good platform. I think that he would have to be running a lot faster speeds if I'm to put him on a smaller ski. I can really recommend the D3's skis for young kids (on the other hand - we never tried any other brands...).

Thanks. My daughter is currently on the jr. amigo and running the course at about 19 mph. She handles the wakes pretty well, but I'm wondering when to transition her to a more traditional shaped slalom. She still struggles with deep water starts. I just want to keep it fun for her and help her build her confidence.