Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

How much fitter and stronger do you need to be !

Stevie Boy

• Baller
So how much fitter and stronger, do you need to be to ski behind a competition ski boat ie: Mastercraft - Nautique - Malibu etc, running perrfect pass or zero off, as opposed to a boat with, let,s say a 150hp outboard motor on it, with no speed control ?

• Baller
I don't think it is so much fitter and stronger but your technique needs to be much better. Being stronger probably will let you muscle am outboard but it won't let you muscle an inboard. Watch some girls 3 skiers run through 35 off and they aren't anywhere near as strong as I am but ski much better than I am

• Baller
Being fit helps with the stamina to let you ski longer, but flexibility is everything. Water skiing is a hard sport to train for. You want to be as strong as possible, but also be as light weight as possible. I am researching doing P90X over the winter using what they call the lean schedule. I am built more like a wrestler or football player more so than a water skier. Skiing when you are not tired helps make your technique better..

• Baller
@Stevie Boy That is my ideal way to grip that handle but you have to have decent grip strength to be able to do that and you can't have stubby fingers. There are some people I ski with that physically can't hold the handle in their fingertips...not even to ski straight and not even using a skinny elliptical handle. I can hold the handle in my right hand fingertips but my left hand is a little weaker and unfortunately I have to grip it a little deeper in my palm which causes calluses on one hand only.

• Baller
@GAJ0004 - I have done P90X, twice, and also 2/3's of P90X2. Let me tell you, it works. First two times out skiing this year I was barely sore. I'll be doing more rounds of P90X2 and P90X this winter. Keeps you in shape and really builds the core. Pushups, pullups, and lots of balance! Highly recommend it.

• Baller

LOL! I started doing the Gillian Michaels "Ripped in 30" DVD's with my wife, and they are essentially P90x lite according to my understanding. Helped a ton! I will be looking into some P90x related workouts for this coming year, now that I am comfortable with the Gillian stuff.

Coming from an outboard background, and skiing more often behind my buddy's comp boat this year, I can say that strength is important, but not necessarily more so behind a comp boat as opposed to the outboard. Yes, you can yank an outboard around some, but I think what is more important moving to the comp boat is one's technique!! With good proper technique, I think a comp boat is much easier to ski behind given the consistent pull and tracking.

My brother, skiing with me this summer behind my parents' old outboard, coming off of his normal comp boat, complained of the "bungy" feeling behind the outboard. He said it was hard to know where you were. I feel that I am starting to understand what he means.

• Baller
I think any program of regular strength training in the offseason inclusive of daily core work will put you in great shape to ski. When I'm not "fighting with the boat" my hands never hurt, my body doesn't ache and I could ski all day. When I revert to my old, bad habits, my body breaks down. I think skiing behind a strong inboard is probably easier on the body than skiing behind a weaker inboard or an outboard when done correctly, as the boat will enable you to ski faster with less effort.

• Baller

Thanks @Skoot1123 I have talked to lots of people about it, and everyone likes P90X. I ride a 44'' trick ski. They only make 1 size bigger.. I did weight training 3 days a week last winter, and I bulked up too much. I am thinking I could save some money on the gym membership and the gas.

@Skoot1123 are you keeping up with the videos during ski season? If so what's your ski schedule vs. when you're doing the videos? I did X and X2 over winter but since I started skiing I've mostly been taking a break and was going to pick up again in the fall.

• Baller
@buski - I have not kept up with the videos during ski season as my schedule gets crazy during the late spring/summer months. Yard work to keep up with (although mowing was very rare this summer!!) and a 2 year old to keep happy. However, I do plan on getting back into during the fall/winter. No better way to stay in shape than those workouts. Now that I think about it, I did continue to do Ab Ripper two to three times a week for a while during the early part of ski season. Then I just had to take a break from it. In the meantime I'm keeping up with hockey once a week and skiing as much as I can. That has at least helped me stay in some shape. I'm ready to go at it again though starting this fall!

• Baller
I stay out of the gym during ski season. I do tons of rollerblading in the spring and fall. I tried working out on the days I did not ski, but ended up with a minor injury to my shoulder from overuse. I save my energy to ski..

• Baller

I have tried to keep up with the gym over the summer and until the last three weeks or so it worked out pretty well where I wrapped in two strength workouts a week along with skiing 4-6 days a week. I have been travelling a ton the last 5 weeks for work and ski tournaments and it has killed my gym time.

When I was working out and skiing I was feeling pretty good overall and I have been skiing as well this year as ever. For the record I am not doing P90X but more of a cross fit based program put together by a trainer.

• Baller_
One of my ski partners is probably the most fit 55 year old in the world and he loves to ski and he tries hard. He can ski non stop forever turning and burning,,,,problem!! It is called talent! as much as he tries to run the course his success is minimal yet he keeps banging at it when we ski the course, also he is not new to water skiing and is an accomplished snow skier the course just escapes him. he though is helping me with my PT and gives me instruction to better wellness.