Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Opinions on my Reflex binding setup please (with pics)

Spesh

I recently purchased a reflex front boot for my A2 as my previous system had no release mechanism, so was borderline dangerous. However, once the retention plate was installed with the boot attached, I noticed some lift at the front by the horse shoe. The place of purchase have told me that only the Reflex skis make use of the holes located at the very front of the plate, so I shouldn't worry if the plate bows slightly. But I thought I'd get a second opinion on here just in case.

Pics below give better detail...

• Baller

Are you referring to the boot moving under the horseshoe? Or the plate bowing up off the ski in the front? If you are referring to the plate bowing....its pretty normal. If you have a tendency to rock back pretty hard, pulling on the horseshoe, you can increasingly bend the plate over time. And that's a good indication that you need to change your skiing style!

Someone I ski with has a steel plate that he bent in the front pretty bad over time. He just took it off and flattened it back out. Then over time, bent it again. I don't know if you can straighten out a carbon plate or not.

I know you most likely will not want to do this but I know a few skiers who have had the same problem and to avoid the plate bending more or even breaking they have drilled holes in the ski to use the front 2 slots on the reflex plate. They either then put self tapping screws into the ski or put inserts in. I know drilling into your ski doesn't sound like an attractive idea but it is a good solid fix!

Cheers for the input guys. Drilling into the ski is a definite no no for me, as I don't want to risk damaging the core and it will void the warranty.

The boot is completely solid within the binding (there is literally no movement at all), so I think I will just ski with it like this for now and if problems materialise, I'll have to have a re-think.

Ok, so I went out on the lake today, with the new binding. No problems at all in terms of functionality. However, I can tell that it is certainly going to take a few sets to get used to the reflex boot, over my old boot.

The sensation of having a completely stiff shell over the foot was quite alien to me. I will probably have to play around with getting the placement just right too. I felt slightly stiffer in the turns. Still, I guess it's just a case of getting used to it.

• Baller
@dave_n since you have been using your reflex set up for 5 years, can you comment on how effective you think the release mechanism is for times when you stuff the tip and need the front foot to release? (if you ever do this)

@Zman I think everybody has stuffed the tip at some time, I try to avoid it if I can. The system has released every time it should have and never when it shouldn't have. After initial set-up, if it releases too easily, just tighten down the screw a couple of turns.

I had a few more sets on the Reflex boot today. I've come to the conclusion that it is superb. I now feel completely comfortable on it even after only five sets or so. I feel much more connected with the ski now. I'm still yet to have a big OTF on it, but certainly seems to be money well spent so far.

• Baller

Ran into the same issue when getting my son onto the same setup, Reflex indicated they were working on some plate solution to fix this and offered us a free beta test version.

Turned out to be a non issue as the force from the boot pressing forward into the horseshoe keeps the plate down anyway.