Ski Wing/Fin settings?

aswinter05

• Baller

Hey all. Sorry if there has already been a discussion about this, however, I'm very new to BOS.

I'm getting ready to put a different fin on my 65" HO Coefficient X SL. The old one didn't match. I've heard various things about the wing that goes on the fin (I think that's what they are referred to as). Some people say they remove the wing, some people swear by it. What is your opinion and what should I do?

I consider myself an intermediate to advanced skier. I'm strictly open water at the moment but after Coble Ski School I'm hoping to learn the course :) The fin I am about to put on the ski is an "HO Comp Fin". Also, I have the option to set the wing at 7, 5, and 3 degrees (if a fin at all). Currently I ski right around 30/32 mph.

What are your recommendations. By the way, thank you all very much for the support when I post questions. I can tell this is a strong community that knows what they are talking about!

• Administrators

@aswinter05 Wait! Hold on. If you do not have the tools and know how to set your fin, leave the old one in there. When you say does not match do you mean the color? Trust me if you swap fins and you do not put the new one very close to the right place it could really mess with your skiing. High level skiers adjust to the .001 and trust me .1 of an inch is like a freak'n mile.

You do not need a wing. It if is for running the balls at 28 off or shorter at 36 mph and for sissies like @ShaneH

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@ShaneH

Well on Wednesday I ran 0 @ 39 with no wing. (stupid 39)

@jipster43

All I can say is try it. It is the easiest adjustment to undo. If you ski better great. If not put it back on.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@horton , my fin isnt the kind with lots of adjustments. I changed the fin because the color clashed with the ski. Bought a demo ski and they had clearly replaced the fin. It was a bright red Syndicate fin with multiple adjustment capabilities. Didnt quite match the blue, green, and black ski. So i put the fin from my HO Triumph on. Its a silver, standard looking fin. I also like it better because it has the preset angles/degrees printed on it for the wing. It just has 6 screws and 3 hole options for the screw placement. Also, im not that great of a skier yet so hopefully it doesnt throw me off too much.

I found a thread on MasterCrafts website concerning fins and wings. A lot of individuals said unless you ski 34 to 36 mph and atat short lines, there's no need for the wing. Can anyone confirm this?

Next time i go out will be my first time on the new ski. Ive decided to leave the wing completely off for now. I guess ill never know which i like better until i try it. I've also heard that wings make deepwater starts easier?

Hoping to learn a lot about stuff like this at Coble Ski School. I've got a lot of questions for them!

Here is an image of the original fin for the 2010 Co X SL. Something must have happened to it that they switched to the 2012 red Syndicate fin (comes on the 2012 Co X SL). But the SL has always come with a fully adjustable fin. You will want the red fin. I would recommend taking it to Coble and having them help you set it up.

• Baller

@tfriess, helpful comments would be appreciated. I realize the fin is under water while skiing.

I was more concerned about the SETTINGS on a wing or fin and how it impacts skiing when I posted this thread.

@slalomboy96, I did a side by side compare of the two fins I have and could definitely notice the Syndicate fin was thinner. I still have the Syndicate fin on the ski.

Called an HO tech person and he informed me that the fin that originally came with the 2010 Coefficient X SL is the exact same as the Syndicate fins with an exception for the color. He said the shop owner clearly changed the fin but it shouldn't impact the skiing at all since the fins are very similar if not exact.

I've been skiing with the Syndicate fin and no wing. I used to ski with a wing on my old ski. So far I don't really notice a whole lot. I'm also a very intermediate skier as mentioned.

So maybe it's true what I've heard? Wing settings don't make much of a difference until you are skiing at faster speeds and shorter line lengths?

The problem with the fin that has the lines (markings) for wing angle printed on it is if you change the fin setting (ie. add tip) then the lines are not accurate anymore as you have now changed the lines' angle as related to the bottom of the ski.

But as has been stated already. You don't need the wing. I put mine back on every now and then just to remind myself of that fact. I ski 34 mph, working on running a complete 32 off.