Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

DIY lighted buoys??? How is this done...

skihart

• Baller
Did my last set yesterday in almost complete darkness. Perfect conditions but at this time of the year it is getting tougher to get in sets after dinner/work as the days are getting much shorter. Really tough on the driver, and skier of course. My buddies and I have always talked about getting buoys that light up to extend the evenings....anyone have a good DIY for LED buoys or similar? The Goode ones are not an option on our lake.

We have done a few night tournaments. Here is what we came up with. These are the only pictures I still have. We put the flashlights in zip lock bags before putting them in the noodles. The device gets buckled under each buoy. Very quick, easy and BRIGHT! Yellow buoys are the brightest. Orange isn't bad. Green doesn't work well at all.

I found these LED flashlights at HomeDepot. Haven't seen them since. They were $8 for 10 flashlights with batteries. They are not waterproof, but they still work well. I just take out the batteries when we are done so it can dry. The zip lock bags keep them pretty dry.

Cut a floating noodle just shorter than the flashlight.

Cut a hole in the noodle just smaller than the flashlight.

Insert the flashlights into good zip lock bags (don't use cheap ones).

Zip tie each noodle to a strap with clips.

• Baller

The led flashlight rig looks like a great idea! That's alotta lights to do a full course, though.

Ed, most of the cheap lightsticks are good for 4-6 hours. We duct tape them on every ball standing upright on top, go in for a bit and then come out later to ski. Not my proudest skiing moment, but lots of fun.

• Baller

@clemsondave I love the idea of lighting from below and not the buoy itself, good thinking.......

I was told they do cut open the buoys and put in LEDs sometimes right? How do they seal them afterwards?

I am working on an idea that would allow me to turn them on and off with a remote. It would light the buoys from below like @clemsondave did......

I really have wanted to have slalom night events for so long, but we just stick to the fun rounds too. The best we ever did was clear duct tape and color coordinated glow sticks taped to buoys. We found out you have new buoys that have no algae build up otherwise the duct tape will not hold.

The fun thing was we had all kinds of extra glow sticks too. You can actually put them inside of the slalom rope, light up your soap bottles and tape them to skis.

This year we are going to do the event and rent a dance floor so its going to be more than just skiing. Yee haw!