How do I thread the gates?

Taelan28

There's a competition next month in Korea. My boat driver says I should do it and he wouldnt tell that to anyone. When Im on my game free skiing Im an animal, but this hasnt translated well into buoys--because I dont practice buoys. Running an UGLY 14m this week gives me confidence though, and running 13m isnt out of the question if I tighten things up.

First, I need to drop extra cash and pay for the inboard boat. That outboard has reached its limits at 14 meters and 13 meters today is too much of a drag on it. It causes too much slack and the pull is not consistent. I'll do one warm up of free skiing then 8 passes of buoys.

Second, do I need to worry about running longer rope lengths or can I just holler at them FOURTEEN METERS! and have it be done?

Third and most important. I need to go through the opening gates. Any suggestions on that? It looks really difficult threading those things at 34mph. I noticed when the boat passes the gates thats when the skier cuts. Any other reference points?

I just want to run a pass at 28 off. Thanks guys.

• Baller
Initially in practice, start to turn in as the nose of the boat gets to the gates. Don't let up through the gates. If you miss 2 ft outside, then turn when the boat is a touch closer or through the gates. If you miss to the inside, turn in sooner. This is where it takes practice to know when to go.

I would suggest finding a way to get some practice sets in with a tournament boat. If you haven't had any practice behind a inboard ski boat with speed control, you will be in for a big surprise at this tournament. Even then, you should start 2 or 3 passes before your best pass. Tournament conditions are different than home conditions.

I just talked to a ski athlete at my club. He says the record in korea is 14 meters at 36 mph. Part of me doesnt want to believe that as this guy can run 35 off at 34 mph but why would he lie? if you want to set a national record come to seoul the weekend of the 22-23 entree fees are about $20.