Binding plate and ski flex

T8skier

• Baller
I have been meaning to test this, but that means a lot of work to test the flex with and without the G10 with dual loc, then with two metal plates without bindings. Maybe a winter project...

• Baller
My unscientific test on my Strada 55 going from a Sequence plate to a G10 plate seemed to indicate the ski turned better, so maybe slightly softer flex... Same fin and approx same binding setup, Strada boots.

No proof, but I would certainly think a G10 plate with dual lock is more flexible than aluminum plates screwed to the ski. The G10 is more flexible and the dual lock will give some as well. If there was a large gap between the two aluminum plates, it might change my opinion.

• Baller

One guy here in the East uses no aluminum plates at all on his D3 T-factors: He drilled through the bottom of a G10 plate directly into the holes that usually attach the alumimum plate to the binding.

He swears that the ski flexes better and turns better like this, although I don't know what means he has used to convince himself of this.

Of course, removing material almost has to allow it to flex more. The question would be how much and whether that's actually a good thing.

• Baller

Imho, it´s far more important that the screws that attach the plate to the ski are able to slide in slotted holes than what material/thickness/stiffnes the plates are made out of to prevent added stiffness to the ski.

It only takes one pair of screws to keep dft constant.