warm up suggestions

itch2ski

I recently purchased my own boat and now get to ski 3-4 times a week (previously it was only once or twice a week). After about 4 weeks of this my body is no longer my friend. I have sore ribs, strained back, and sore neck/shoulder. I'm guessing a lot of this has to do with the fact that I just jump in and ski. I was wondering what kind of advice I could get as far as a warm up routine or stuff I should be doing daily to keep my body ski happy.

PS. I'm only 31 yrs old, 5'8" 170 lbs, freeski @ 32 mph, just started the course @ 15 off 28 mph (pretty sure I shouldn't be feeling like I'm 60).

• Baller
I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with technique. As a newer course skier, the tendency is to fight the boat and take huge hits which will definitely make you sore. When you ski correctly and efficiently, the load and wear on the body is greatly reduced. As far as warm ups go, I always like riding my mountain bike around the lake a couple times.

• Baller
Sounds like a diet problem to me. I'm 35 and was feeling as you described earlier this year. Was so sore I didn't feel like skiing! Massively increased my protein intake and it was fixed within a week! You should be starting to get ski fit after about 4 weeks at that level but you would need a lot of protein for muscle growth and repair. I have 4 eggs on toast for breakfast, 2 tins of tuna for lunch and a good servo of protein for dinner too. Include lots of vegetables etc. Try it for two weeks, you'll know by then. I'm suggesting to add protein in addition to what you already eat rather than take away anything you currently eat. And if you are going to watch your weight, do it on scales that measure % body fat. Changes in % body fat is much more important than actual weight. You may put on a few pounds for a while but it will be muscle.

I'm quite close to your age and size. I ski 2-4 days a week too. I am usually as sore as a dog after the first month of abuse, but then either my body gets in better shape or my early season bad habits start ironing out. I've been told your back and upper body shouldn't be that sore if you are skiing correctly, your legs should be the first to grow tired...I'm still trying to find that correct way to ski. My way to deal with sore days are:

1. lots of water

2. hot tub

3. Stand Up Paddling (really helps stretch everything out)

4. Booze

5. Rest

I now stretch a bit at home before and after skiing, this seems to help a lot too. I get extremely sore when all four days are back to back, with some wakeboarding mixed in after a morning set of turns....and yes I still hop on a wakeboard from time to time when friends need a 3rd, if I'm on the water I'm happy!

Also how far do you ski when open water skiing? I try to ski no longer than 4 miles per set. Or 6 passes in the course.

• Baller

@Joeprunc and @itch2ski, you guys both sound like me and about the same age too. I do know my technique isn't very good but I get really sore and feel quite old as well.

I completely agree with Greyhind on his diet kick. I've noticed in the summer when I ski, wakeboard, mt bike, and standup jetski that my protein requirement is through the roof. If I don't binge on proteins and vegetables, I will typically ache 3-4 days after doing anything strenuous. Since I don't wait 3-4 days before doing something else, I usually ache all summer long. The problem is that a couple days of protein and vegetable binge doesn't fix the problem and eating healthier is a pain in the butt if you're always cooking for one. However, the diet is the ultimate fix and I can vouch for that. Protein shakes can help with that extra bit but won't solve the problem by themselves. Stretching before (not just after) does help with pulling muscles but my joints still hurt unless I eat right consistently. Drinking more water than you think you need helps also.

If you can eat right consistently, you're a better man that I am. I know it works but it's tough for me to buckle down indefinitely.