Rope length discrepancy

WBLskier

• Baller
We measured three ropes against each other a couple of weeks ago. Two of them were the generic ropes made by Overtons and one was mine (Accurate). I know...we need to buy better ropes, but the Overtons ropes were a full 2 feet longer than mine, and one of them was 6" longer than the other. Maybe you get 6" of stretching over time (to explain the difference between the same model handle), but no way do you get 2 feet. Has anyone else done this before? I was shocked that there could be that big a difference between ropes.

I bought a couple of airhead ropes, nice looking and good quality, but they were about four feet to long, for a couple of days I thought I was skiing like a pro. I ended up cutting and retying them then they were great. I even called them and told them that they were way off, now I just buy masterline.

• Baller
The majority of those ropes are made in China. There is no quality control in the production. The only way you are going to get a good quality rope is to buy from a vendor in the USA. Ie Masterline ,US Gear or Intow. I know for a fact every Masterline is measured prior to shipping I cant speak for the other mentioned companies.

• Baller_
It surprises me that a cost conscious supplier would "allow" long ropes to go out the door, that simply reduces profit margin. Long is obviously better than too short and not be able to adjust to proper tolerance. It is amazingly simple to have a board with a few nails at correct lengths to use as a go-no go gauge. I would certainly not be very willing to assist off shore manufacturers to improve the product, much rather see the stateside manufactuers succeed based on a higher quality product.

• Baller
Should measure your rope when it's new, if you're skiing tournaments. Masterline, in 15 years of measuring for tournaments, maybe 1% have been off, and it was a simple couple inches in the mainline.