D3 X7 vs Fusion

webbdawg99

• Baller

The Fusion and X7 are identicle in every way except for the bevels. The X7 has bigger bevels so it rides deeper in the water. Deeper means it is a bit more work to go the same speed, but it is also slightly more stable (especially in rough water), easier to slow down, and a little more forgiving. The Fusion delivers the same speed with less effort, but it's nimbleness comes at the cost of a bit less stability.

Generally speaking, if you are a powerful skier, go X7. If you are a finesse skier, the Fusion may be your choice. Paul Crawford of D3 recommends demoing both though because he has been surprised at how often power skiers have chosen the Fusion and visa versa.

I'm on an Elite, and just finished demoing both. The Fusion felt very nearly as fast as the Elite but was more forgiving. The X7 was still quick, but noticeably more work with a solid dependable ride. Nate Smith tested the X7 for weeks along side the Elite and found both delivered his deepest passes, but the X7 delivered them every set while the Elite had a 50/50 chance of coming up a pass short ... for him.

• Baller

@Webbdawg99 When demoing, start with the factory settings for the distance from the front boot to the rear of the ski. Neither ski is happy with non-standard front boot placement (according to D3's Paul Crawford), especially the X7. The fin specs are important too. Today I skied with a guy who was struggling at -28 on a new Fusion. When I measured it, all was good except FL was .013" longer than stock. We set it to stock and he ran straight into -35.

After you've had a chance to demo both, feel free to share your impressions here. They are both nice skis. Enjoy!

• Baller
@SkiJay. This may be crazy to some, but I have never demoed a ski before....much less compared 2 head to head. How do you think I should go about it to minimize variables as much as possible? Obviously, I want only the ski to affect my skiing and nothing else. Almost need to apply the old scientific method! What process do y'all suggest?

• Baller

@Horton is the authority on testing.

I'd recommend making sure someone who knows what they are doing sets up both skis to stock (maybe that's you), then spend a few days on one before trying the other for a few days. Try to be physically fresh for each session. Take notes of your impressions after each ride. Repeat.

If you are well versed with ski tuning, see if a few tweaks can improve your performance on each, otherwise, just leave them stock.

• Baller
I'm thinking X7 may be more what I'm looking for at 36 mph. I typically dont have much problem building speed....inconsistent and unstable turns seem to be more of my problem. But I won't make any per-judgments. I almost wanna ski on both and not know which one I'm on. Blind taste test!