The Big Dawg is Flawed

CWhite

I had the opportunity to ski in the Big Dawg at Abbotsford this past weekend. I think it is safe to say that of the 28 or 29 skiers who signed up, I was the only one who was over 200 pounds. Watching some of those guys who weigh a buck-fifty run 38 and 39 just doesn’t seem fair. Todd Kuykendall ran a 39 in round 2 that was crazy. If I tried stuff like that I would either rip my arms from the sockets, rip the pylon from the boat, break the rope, break the handle or break the ski in half (I have done the last four). It just isn’t fair. I am 6’3”, 205 pounds. I worked out like crazy this last offseason and dropped about 20 pounds but it still isn’t enough , I think I still need to lose another 10-15 pounds to have any hope of competing with these guys. I mean have you seen Dave Miller? Most eight graders weigh more than him!

I have thought long and hard about this and I think the only way to address this inequity is to approach it in the same manner that they do in horse racing where they make all of the horses carry the same weight. It would be quite easy to do, simply establish a baseline weight that every skier must weigh (my vote would be for 190 pounds) and if a skier is under that weight they must carry extra weight. This would level the playing field. If Dave Goode can design the Bubble Buoys and the Power Vest I am sure he can design a vest that can be fitted with weights. I would like to see Dave Miller run 39 wearing a 40 pound vest*.

I am writing this on behalf of all of the other 200 pound plus skiers out there, please take up the cause and contact Greg Davis and support this idea.

All kidding aside, the Big Dawg was a great event. All of the skiers I met are great guys and amazing skiers who deserve every buoy they get.

*He probably could

• Baller
It's strength to weight ratio. You have the potential to be stronger at 200 lbs. You need to look at your body fat. If your 200 lbs at 10% body fat you would be very strong and you would need that kind of strength to compete with a 150lb guy who's body fat is 10 %. It's not so much loosing weight it's more gaining strength. (muscle) Using this recipe we are all on even ground. And of course I could be all wrong!

• Baller
We were just talking about the Pro Skiers' height and weight just the other day at the ski club. Today, most of the pros with the exception of a few are incredibly light. Wasn't the case in the old days. I have wondered why today the pro skiers are lighter. You still need height. I wouldn't advise a weighted vest, good way to drown. Like they have in running events, maybe they should have a Clydesdale division where all the contestants are at least 215 pounds. I can tell you from experience, that at 215 I ski three passes better than at 250, so here we go with inequitity even at the top weights. I believe a Clydesdale division would be good for the sport.

• Baller
only way to be heavy these days is be really tall.... The difference gets multiplied under load. The older systems didn't act like a freight train pulling you. The big skier/heavier skier could slow the boat down more and have the slingshot effect to get wide at next bouy---it wasn't a huge disadvantage. It is now.

• Baller

FAT Setting = C

Also, seems more dramatic for bigger guys at 34 than 36 since you tend to get deeper there. Even skiing 35mph in practice I like B better, but seem to migrate back to C (FAT) at 34. Trying to fix the real issue now, but never that easy. Especially when I only ski every 3 weeks.

C1 in my opinion. You want to minimize the speed variance (overall speed delta) as much as possible. If you think about it, that's basically what a very light individual does. They "hide" from Zero Off better because of the lighter load.

C1 engages the soonest (less negative speed delta to initiate) and with the strongest power response over the shortest duration therefore keeping the steadiest speed.

A3 on the other hand is the opposite.

JIII

Just a question, if we are going to add weight to guys that only weight 155 pounds like I do are we also going to give the short guys me (5'6" on a good day) extra line? I am no where near Cwhite's level( 28 off guy at best)and if he can compete at a Big Dawg then congrats on even being at that level. But the reason the top level guys are the way they are is because they are committed. My ski partner and I just had this conversation. The Big Dawg top guys are willing to put in more work and fully commit to winning. That means diet, training, living someplace where you can ski year round, and not letting anything stand in the way of that success. My ski partner has a freind that has done that exact thing and his results are showing it. Its like any sport, the top 1% are willing to do what everyone else isnt. And for the record even at 5'6" and 155, zero off isnt really my freind. Not exaclty a light on the line skier, but thats my deal not the boats.

ML

Forget Zero Off, if you want a good spray go old school and go with the hand throttle and a driver that will juice it right at the ball! ML is right, those top guys are committed and as I said they deserve every buoy they get. I would gladly give the shorter guys extra rope as a trade off for the added weight.

• Baller

This reminds me of discussions about equalizing the playing field due to differences in height.

If it's true that the heavier guys are also generally a bit taller then perhaps the two offset.

Big guys - Higher load and more response from ZO, but better reach,

Smaller guys - Lower load and less response from ZO, but less reach.

I agree with @skiboyny its all about strength to weight ratio. We have a MM skier in UT Bryce Tolman who has to be over 200lbs he is built like a truck. He does stuff on a waterski that I simply don't have the strength to do (I actually spent all winter trying to gain 7-8lbs because I thought my strength to weight ratio would go up) I think its paying off I'm skiing better than last year. If you can do 40 pull ups it doesn't matter how big you are you will be strong on a waterski. Not that I wouldn't like trying to ski with a 40lb weighted vest on sounds kinda fun. ha ha ha.