Older OB Ski Nautique Question

akale15

• Baller

Are the older OB's the same hull design as the CB ski nautique?

example: http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=19680

Hoping to get a boat next summer after I graduate and think I would like an open bow. We have a place on a public lake and although the boats main purpose will be to ski I will also use the boat to take our neighbor kids tubing and girlfriends sister wakeboarding. I am wondering if the hull design is the same so that way I can use it more than just to ski as i enjoy those activities and driving the boat. If not, I am not willing to sacrifice the wake of a CB SN and since I am buying and refuse to get anything other than a SN (and cant afford a new 200) the neighbors and others will have to deal with it.

Also if anyone is planning on selling a boat next summer for no more than 15k let me know as I will be interested.

• Baller
I have a friend that has a 95 SNOB, which I ski behind once in a while. I also have a 96 closed bow myself. I believe that they are the same hull, and all that was done was moved the dash and front seats back slightly to allow for the open bow. The only bummer with that is there is not much if any room to walk behind the drivers seat (to get to the back of the boat) as the motor box is only about 4-6 inches from the drivers seat. I would guess you would just get used to walking to the back of the boat on the other side or squeezing thru or stepping over the drivers seat. As far as skiing goes, both ski and driver very well.

• Baller

I have a 94 SNOB, and it's true you can't get between the drivers seat and the engine box. Aside from that it's a great boat for a good price. I think 94-96 are the same hull, and the wake at 22 is better than other same era boats due to the engine being further back (bump more prevelant at 15 off). Wake is better as the line get's shorter.

I wouldn't plan on loading the bow heavily, but it's fine for several smallish kids or a couple of lighter teenagers.

For reference I paid 13,500 for mine w/o PP about 10 years ago. Good condition, but not pristine.

You could probably find a 97 in your price range and I think the wakes are still better on that vintage.

• Baller
I owned the '96 version of that boat - w/o tower. Hull is the same as the CB except that the motor box is in a different location leading to a different prop shaft angle - which some say makes for better slalom wakes then the CB. The trick wakes on the NWZ nautiques are wonderful - but that means the slower speed slalom wakes are not up to the '97 and up 196 standard (they are still better than alot of boats out there). It also mean that its a great beginner wakeboard boat. But, if slower speed slalom wakes are really important to you a 97 or later SNOB may be the ticket.