Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

When do you start making your toughest pass each season?

Razorskier1

• Baller

Here in MN we usually get rid of the ice in April. After some open water skiing, I pull up the course by the end of the month. In May I just try to work technique and get in shape. Historically I haven't shortened beyond 32 off (my typical second tournament pass) through May. In June I usually start running 35s. By the end of the month or early July I'm making some of my 38s (my shortest complete pass).

This year I started running 35s in early May, but my schedule and the weather conspired against me, I lost my mojo for a couple weeks and I ended up dinking my back and almost not skiing for 2.5 weeks. Then on Saturday, June 30, I decided to just go down the line tournament style. 28, 32, 35, miss the 38. Go to the other end and run the 38. So, I posted my first 38 basically three months into the season.

Reflecting on it now, it seems like a long time to burn each season just getting back to where I was at the end of the last one. However, it also appears that when I push too fast, the back gets me.

How long before you run your toughest pass each season?

• Baller
Here in Colorado, we start skiing the last week of April at our lake. I typically start running 35's (my hardest full pass) in the middle of June. I'm not so sure it is the timeframe, I think it is more water temp related. I don't think I've run my hardest pass with the water in the mid 60's. Now that it is mid 70's, everything seems easier.

• Baller

October.

I'm only half kidding. I've run 38 four times in my life, and the practice ones were august, october, october.

If you consider 35 as my tough pass, I usually get that in early june. This year got it mid may on 1st try. Hoping that's a sign!

• Baller

MN is goofy cuz we may start skiing early if the ice goes out, but the weather is such a cluster for so long that getting sets is super inconsistent and who knows when the courses get up.

I started running 35's early May this year...earliest for sure. I think that was more so because I decided to poke at them earlier instead of running piles of 28 and 32. Now running a number of 35's every time out and first successful 38 (after around five 5 times in 10 days) was last week, also early. Hoping it translates to more 38's than what I can count on one hand this season.

Also have not skied a 28 off now in a month...going out at 32. Will keep the 28 for tourneys, but hoping the 6 foot differential between 32 and 38 starts bagging me more 38's. Have been deep a lot and thru once so not changing much for now. Back is a little fussy so trying to balance health/strength.