Big Dawgs and the HO S2

bhs

• Baller

Just watched yesterday's video and I saw that Greg Badal was on the A2. I heard someone else was on the A2 as well. Who knows what beast KLP was skiing on. But where there any BD/34mph skiers on the S2?

Wouldn this venue lend legitimacy to the 34mph ski?

• Baller
@Horton Congratulations on your PB'S! You deserve it. The S2 is a terrific ski, but there seems to be inconsistency's with what some of the HO sponsored skiers ski on, vs. what the products are advertised for (speed wise). You would think that their 34 mph skiers would be on the promoted 34 mph ski, since it is supposed to be more designed for 34 than the A2 (for 36). Another example, is it seems that many of their skiers aren't using HO bindings. It just seems odd, leaving a big question mark. Maybe someone can shed some light here?

• Baller

Another thing is that the revised S2 was kind of a late entry to the dance this year. They revised the flex and rocker over the winter and the new skis didn't come out til the spring. So there wasn't a lot of time for the team skiers to really try them out.

Also...... test, prototype and preproduction skis in a lot of cases have the old graphics. Like Radar did with the S55. That ski had the graphics from either of 2 other skis. So you can't tell for sure what ski a team skier is really on.

And finally, although two of the top 4 were on the new Goode the question becomes "Which new Goode were they really on?" Because there are a bunch of iterations of the new Goode floating around now. If you were to order the new ski today, you have no way to know if that's the ski Chad or Jay were on or not.

• Baller_

Skiers like Chad and Regina are involved with Goode's product design and development on a daily basis. Goode sends them the latest iteration of a idea or concept on a fairly regular basis. If they like these skis then they will continue until another iteration comes their way. They do keep in their arsenal a couple of tried and true in case of disaster or a unfavorable ski comes their way.

We can only assume that high end team skiers on other ski company's products are developmental or laid up especially for them, though their are a number of skiers that can and do ski world record level on off the rack equipment.

• Baller_
If you all think that you will get a ski like Chad, Regie or Jay, think again. You will not. You will get a ski that is molded after it but not the same. If you could get 4 skis sent to you, you may find one that works well for you.

While I believe that the manufacturers probably do custom mold skis for their pros, I cant help to think what a sham it is to make us believe the ski we just plunked 1000-1500 is not the one we just saw "John Doe" skiing on at the Masters. The one in fact we think we are seeing used by the pro and possibly influencing our buying decision. I understand that it is A: Marketing, and B: R&D and I can live with it. But after hearing @horton say that he can ski any of the top skis within a statistical draw of one another (correct me if I am misquoting you) I dont see the value in the Pro NOT skiing on the ACTUAL off the shelf ski. Clearly we are scratching our heads and saying, "well is it or isnt it" seems all we can do is recognize the color or logo. I think it would be a cool marketing plan to sell their skis as "you are skiing on the exact ski John Doe set the world record on" sorry, a little off topic

• Baller
Honestly, what's to fix? Why is it a big deal that a pro be on a ski you or I buy now when the majority of us are on a new ski every year or so anyway? Myself, I would prefer they be testing something now for me to be on later. With the line of thinking I'm seeing here, that new Goode ski wouldn't make it out because it's not ethical for a team skier to be on a test ski prior to it being generally available. You can't have your cake and eat it to.

it sounds like some folks in here think that maybe they could run 39 if they had the right stick......but the reality is if you are not running 38 consistantly and easily on a stick off the shelf then you are probably not going to be running 39 on Chris Parrishes ski either. IMHO Having the perfect setup on the ski you have .......and being a world class athlete have more to do with the scores.

• Baller_
Maple had a G4 with one of that adjustable plate on the front. Cool, just like mine. Saw him at a pro tour stop, got up close to him and his ski. Gold plate was painted on. Total disappointment. Then I realized ....duh of course his ski isn't exactly like mine. He builds them. Got over it in about 40 seconds.

• Baller
I think KLP just takes a ski, sands, grinds, bondos, paints and then puts bandaids, along with a few nuts and bolts on his ski just to keep us guessing. then does the same thing with his boots.

• Baller
I believe that if I could just get one of those prototypes the pros ride, I could probably run my 15 off pass. I really need a better ski because my daughter has never driven a boat so I need to offset that. :)