Tournament Ethics

ScarletArrow

• Baller

So there is a record tournament, maybe even a pro event, at lake "A".

Skier #1 knows that he/she doesn't ski until later in the day and has access to a course at lake "B".

Other skiers in the tournament may or may not have access (or the time before they are up) to lake "B".

Is it unethical for the Skier to go to lake "B" early to get in warm-up set before heading over to lake "A" to ski for their official score?

Does this even happen?

Thought just crossed my mind since we have 6-7 lakes in a 20 mile radius where someone could pull it off if they really felt that it would help them.

I have to believe that with all the lakes in FL that someone has already done it.

Thoughts?

• Baller
This thread brings to mind the 2010 Nats up in Illinois. They decided to have people stand in line for tickets for practice runs and the parents just acted like those people who fight at WalMart on Black Friday. People breaking line. Some folks getting tickets for others. It was just plain disrespectful. I watched with disbelief. This was mostly G2 and G3 practice for Slalom. In my opinion, kinda gave the sport a black eye.

• Baller
Last year I drove ten hours to a 3 event tourney only to blow up on my second pass. I was really bummed that I had to wait 24 hours to redeem myself - especially when the neighboring lake sat unused all day. I started drinking early on that day!

• Baller

interesting comments about water sking. In just about any other sport I have done it would be OK to practice

on an adjacent court or field. Not only would it be OK, its kind of expected. In no other sport I have done was I expected to work also. Water sking is different, thats for sure. You train for hours to ski for a couple of minutes, and work at the competition.

• Baller
Saw it happen often in college tournaments when we we held them at Jack's. Some of his ski school students and pros who skied there would ski on the second lake while the tournament went on. Never really thought that was fair.

• Baller
I don't have a problem with it, seen it often. Not sure if it helps the skier that much. Like Jipster43 said, if you had a bad round, or day, wouldn't you like to get to ski a few more passes if you have the opportunity? Most of us are out there skiing against ourselves anyway.

• Baller
Right I think the point is that in the ski lake situation, unlike most other sports, the opportunity to practice only exists to a select few of the competitors because of their connections. I'm with most people in that I wouldn't mind because lakes seem to ski quite different but I can see why it would be considered unfair to some people. At any rate I don't think it's a big enough issue to warrant being addressed with any kind of rule. Even if I didn't like my competitors skiing at the lake next door when I can't a rule against it would seem even worse. I mean, hey, there may be a day when I'm the guy that can ski next door.

• Baller
I agree with eyepeeler... As long as they are at the tournament to help with all the different jobs that need to be done then my hat is off to them! I would love to be in that position where I could practice to get the jitters out, but practicing a day or two before is fine with me...

• Baller

If you can't ski on a separate lake during your downtime, shouldn't you be mingling with others and making connections/friends? I don't know about everyone else but going to a tournament, driving hours to get there, and paying a bunch of money for 1-2 passes before I eat it isn't exactly something I would do for fun. It's more of something I would do for the experience or to meet people who love doing what I do. If I wanted to have fun, I would've probably done a slalom lake close by and skied til I was pooped for less money. If I were to ski at another lake prior to competing, I would want to do that because it was fun and not because it might give me an edge.

I didn't really think slalom skiing was a big enough sport that we could hate each other for skiing in our downtime.