Where to put the course???

ctsmith

I always like to preference my post by saying I'm a greenhorn and ski very little with dedicated slalom skiers so my slalom knowledge is very limited (Jody and Jeff help me out a bunch, Thanks!!!). Here's a pic of the lake where I ski. The course currently is on the west side of the island. The water level was dropped 8' from where its at in the pic for maintenance. There is still plenty of water (its a deep lake) but there was an old dam exposed between the the mainland and the island (used it for accessing the island with equipment). The dam has cut off the slalom course so now I'm moving it to the east side of the island , at least until the lake fills back up (EZ Ed's floating course).

Which location looks best (red is course and white is pregates). You can see in the pic the effects of the wind the further out into the main body of water. The position deeper in the finger is more protected but the further out into the main body the more north and south the course.

Thoughts?

course1.jpg

• Baller

I'd try deeper in the finger to start. Overall looks better protected. And you can always move the course if it doesn't work out. Have you run both those proposed paths to see if either might give you some unanticipated rollers coming back off the shoreline?

I haven't ran the paths (or any path) since the water level was dropped. The low level made it a challenge to launch a boat. Finally there's a boat on the lift and we're just getting geared up since the lake was dropped over the winter. As a side note, with the little rain we're getting we wont get a full pool this summer (its actually dropping) so we're looking at a semi permanent situation.

• Baller

Man do I wish I could send you our water! We've been high and backwashy for nearly 2 years straight now. The only relief I remember was roughly the month of July last year.

But to the subject at hand, I'd for sure run some simulated boat paths in each spot before doing much more. Look for rollers (which may take as many as 5-6 passes to show up) and anything else that might be "interesting."

Skiing will normally be late in the afternoon. Thats why I'm even considering the main body. The course can be oriented due north in it. However, the land drops probably 70' down to the lake and the pines are tall, so the sun sets early in the finger.

Now that the water level is low, does that mean that there will be minimal boat traffic?

Its private and there are only two boats ever on the lake, the owner's boat and my boat. Since the water level is down and you can't retrieve a boat there is only one boat on the lake (only one lift).

The path in the pic is as deep as it will go with the water down 8'. With a full pool it could be moved back several hundred feet. But to your point, it still can be oriented a lot more east/west. I was out there yesterday and wouldn't you know the wind was from due north. But not being very far from the gulf, its usually from the south.