2012 Who are you guys?

Horton

• Administrators

I am John Horton aka "The BallOfHair". I started this site to talk slalom with few friends about 5 years ago.

3 1/2 years ago I got a little serious about BallOfSpray and now 25,000 skiers visit the site every month. Who are all these skiers?

I have been skiing for about 40 years- since age 3. I talk a big game but there are a lot of better skiers that read the site every day.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

I'm Tyler Reynolds been skiing since age 5 been in the course since 9 took 5 years off due to bad shoulder injuries and now at 26 am in my second year relearning the course.

I used to be good and now am much better at drinking your beer and gambling than at chasing balls.

I'm Brad Stephenson, 26 years old and just started skiing the course last year. I try and get out as much as possible and have felt improvements every time I go out. My PB thus far is only 1 at 34mph but hope to better that by the end of the year. This site as already allowed me to meet and ski with three other ballers, for that I thank you John!

Richelle = Skimom

Ghost Skier doesn't think that either Horton or I are funny!

I have something to do with Rules but trying to keep a low profile.

Hate mosquito's!!

I really liked being the "hot girlfriend" but now in W5 and not really feeling it :)

• Baller_
Richard Doane, 48, been hooked on the course now for 14+ years, had to learn to jump & trick so that I'd have a couple more rides during 3 event tournies, also had the good fortune to meet Eddie & Herb about 10 years ago and get to ski on Radar's best..... I'm not sure about Horton's sense of humor, but I know that he looks funny...

Taelan Baylor. Skiing since 12, consistently since last year and properly since April.

The Northland Chuck Stearns Shark wooden slalom ski in the garage has always had my ire. Seeing some guy on Balsam Lake wisconsin rip it up years ago put it in my head "That looks cool!" I've always been envious of people who lived on a lake, they get done with school or work and can take out the boat equally envious of the sweet looking runabout boat. Back home I only skied behind an 80 horse mercury on rare occasions as the thing was mostly for fishing.

Coming to Korea I got out of debt and in shape. $25 for 5 minutes of skiing sounded like the most offensive ripoff I've ever heard in my life, but I did it anyways. After skiing 100x last year I decided to put down money on gear, get in shape again, and learn how to ski properly with one hand. Skiing for me is a release of long held desires. Why cant I do it? Further its also an outlet for my physical power when Im in shape. Through water skiing I travel throughout Korea and visit ski clubs. Its better than seeing lame ass temples and museums. At the moment I try to get maximum enjoyment the money I put into skiing, sometimes that means chasing balls sometimes it means tearing it up.

Though the mention of me living in korea comes up a lot I try my best to not make comparisons between here and the states or make an opinion as to which place is better to live because I do not hold those beliefs and no one likes some asshat spouting garbage about where he is, and what he has, is so great.

I also like debating--not arguing. Getting all the facts and making points is as rewarding as making a full pass. Name calling, and labeling people is counterproductive. Watching kids screw up the most simple things on a daily basis, then seeing similar things in adults has made me realize that everyone makes the right decisions based on the information or perception of information they have, thus wrong decisions come from the information and perception of the information, not the person's judgement.

Robert Byrn here 35 yrs old from Indiana. Started skiing the course seriously a year ago. Worked all summer and fall last year to finally make a full pass at 28 mph 9/23/2011. Then I won a ski from Horton, bought a boat from another BOS member, and hit the water starting in March this year. I'm making passes at 30mph and I'm going to stick it here for a while, clean it up some, try to stay healthy, and make a push for more speed this fall. I'm not a naturally gifted skier but I love skiing as much as anyone.

• Baller
38 years old and possibly the most inconsistent skier on the water. I find inconsistency keeps me guessing and improves my swimming. Started skiing at age 7 and haven't ever stopped but never really got much better either. My college summer job for several years was teaching people how to ski on Lake Conroe north of Houston. I haven't had a job that good since. So far on the water, I've knocked three teeth out, torn my labrum, received stitches on three different occasions, and pulled about every muscle I didn't know I had. Cant wait to ski a set at 7am this morning

• Baller
Shane Hill- 42 yo telecommunications project manager living in Cypress, Tx. Started skiing in the mid 90s but never really took it seriously until I moved back to the Houston area in 2005. First tournament was in Sept of 06. Ran 2 at 15 off 32mph. Thankfully, my best friend and ski partner is a great coach and 41 off @ 36mph skier, as well as a Nautique and Mastercraft dealer(I can hook you up with any of 6 CC or MC promo's if you're in the market). My tournament pb is 5 @ 35 off and my practice pb is 3 @ 38. I plan on running 38 in practice this year at least once and to get 2-3 at 38 in a tournament this year. Don't listen to Horton, I'm really a nice guy.

• Baller
Scott Calderwood - 39 years old, grew up on a lake, and started skiing at age 5. I didn't get too hardcore into slalom until our family bought a MasterCraft when I was in 8th grade. The following year we bought a slalom course, and I've been trying to progress ever since. My pb is a full -35 pass @34mph, but I haven't even run a full pass at -32 in a while. I'm in dire need of coaching! I work in women's fashion marketing during the day, and am a part-time rock star at night, fronting the band Phoenix. Finding BOS was a godsend! I was losing faith that hardcore slalom guys still existed - turns out you were just hiding out here.

• Baller
Leon Leonard-- M6, but not for long as I recently turned 65. I started skiing the course 25 years ago and have never been very good, but luckily I have been able to pretty much maintain. Ran -35 one time in my life, with a tournament best of 3.5 at -35. Still able to get a few at -35 (AWSA average of 92.17) in tournaments and still want to get better. Live in KY and ski about 3 times a week at a private site where I live. Senior driver and senior judge. Recent highlight -- met "The Krista" at a tournament in Columbus, IN. (home site of Tynan and Nate)

• Baller

Nathaniel Bogan. Will be 41 in July. Been "part" of this BOS thing for quite a few years now and have learned a ton; hopefully shared some useful knowledge as well.

I am, first and foremost, a Math Geek. I have a Masters in Computer Engineering from MIT. I do low level algorithmic optimization for a living -- I'm the guy who can make it run twice as fast after everybody else has given up. I am very interested in Game Theory, strategy, analysis, and so forth. At one time I was a reasonably competitive Magic: The Gathering player, although I was known more for deck design than playing skill. These days I occasionally manage some Dungeons and Dragon Online, but very little during the ski season. (My icon is a DDO character -- a synthetic being called a Warforged.)

I also love bass fishing on the rare occasions I manage to make time for it.

I have two daughters, 11 and 7, who are mildly interested in water skiing but don't appear likely to be the next Regina...

I've been at this skiing thing since age 5, but didn't get into tournaments until my 20s. And by then I had a lot to UN-learn. My athletic ability is average, so I tend to seek highly technical sports -- in high school and college (division III baby!) I did decently in the high jump and triple jump.

My tournament best at 36 was 5 @ -35, and at 34 mph my practice and tournament best are both 1 @ -39. 2011 was a huge year for me, running the 102 buoy pass for the first time after 10 years of working on it.

• Baller

@skimom Admittedly I've never met you, but I feel confident you can keep the Hot Girlfriend monicker into W5!

And keep up the good work on the rules. I for one appreciate that our rulebook is thorough yet not overly long. That's not easy.

• Baller

Mark Timm 48 years old, skied tournaments here in Washington from the late 70s to early 90s.

Gave up water skiing for better than 15 years. After talking to some of my old friends that I skied with in the Boys Division (remember when it was just Boys and Jr. Boys) at the Western Regionals @ Ski Park a few years back. I decided to get back into skiing and haven't looked back. I am in the Sand and Gravel Business and my boss and I have turned two of the old gravel pits into ski lakes. Best job perk in the world access to two ski lakes.

Doug Roberts 46, I own a couple of businesses, www.vinaudit.com is my newest venture, you can pull the link if you need to, but thought I'd share. I also own two janitorial companies, one in san diego and one in Phoenix. I have been skiing since I was 7-8, started on two behind a 12 foot fishing boat with a 9.9 I was a very good skier through my teens but lost interest got married blah blah blah. I am now in kahoots with a group of skiers who get out weekly, sometimes twice weekly in the summer months. We are freeriders but did my first run at the buoys last week and we all had fun and are going back. I have 3 kids, 13 boy, 15 girl, 21 boy, the two younger have tried to wakeboard once each but are, unlike their father, risk averse. Love this site, looking forward to actually understanding the dynamics of skiing and becoming a proficient and maybe intermediate skier or better. This site is awesome and already appreciate all the info and feedback I have received!

• Baller

Mark Shaffer. I am 46 years old and ski in Mass on the same lake as Than. I skied the course as a kid but not in tournaments. From the age of 23 until 38 or so I didn't ski at all but played competitive golf. I got back into it when we bought the house I grew up in on the lake. We are fortunate enough to have a couple of courses on the lake I ski on.

I started skiing tournaments three years ago after a trip to Coble's ski school when April talked my son into it and we have met some great people. I missed last season after rupturing a disk in my back but am skiing again this year and in better shape than before the injury. My skiing continues to improve since my return and I have a tournament PB of 2@35 off set last weekend and a practice PB set on Wednesday of this week of 4@35 off. I dabble in tricks a little mostly to get wet at tournaments and have tricked 970 a couple of weeks ago. My goal is to qualify for Nationals someday but I am going to have to ramp things up to get there this year.

I have a 13 year old Boys 2 three event skier and a 14 year old daughter who skis but doesn't love (she loves to figure skate) it like my son and I do.

My 13 year old three events and has run 4@34 mph 15 off and is very close to running into 22 off, has a trick PB of 1,150 (he is better than me right now) and jumped 48 feet.

Ted boysen, 55 years young. I grew up on Bow Lake. Not the skiing lake, but the Bow Lake next to the Sea Tac airport. My father processed peat moss into top soil. I caught lots of catfish from my row boat. I started waterskiing at 10, and never really learned correctly. My wife and I live on Lake Stevens near Everett, Wash. We started waterskiing more often about 5 years ago, and started taking more lessons just this year. I just made it through the course about 6 weeks ago, I am still taking lessons at Bow Lake (the ski lake), and I just signed up for Hilltop lake. I enjoy reading the information from skiers on Ball of Spray. Thanks Horten, and everyone.

• Baller_

Jody Seal- 54 years old. Owner of Florida Inboards inc. in Panama city Florida also a technical consultant for Nautiques. Started skiing in 1964 first tournament in 1980. Senior Driver 3 event, Senior judge 3 event. Member of the Emerald coast boat and ski club, Member of shortline lakes ski club (SRB), Founding member and charter member of the Echo lake Ski Club (Montana). Tournament best 3 @ 12m, practice best 1@ 11m 55K. 5@13 58K (back in the day!)

Current boats 2012 Ski Nautique 200 cb 6 liter. 1992 Ski Nautique 5.7 Apex, 1982 American Skier Volante, 1977 Correct Craft Fish Nautique, 1969 Rayson Craft sprint boat, 1965 Rickshaw speed ski / sprint boat.

Raised two National champion kids and currently working on getting them through college.

• Baller
Rod Luppi-38. Started skiing at age 6 and soon started on a single. Began to hate it due to my parents huge open bow Century run about. Quickly gave it up when we bought a houseboat with some 550 jet skis. At age 17 my parents bought a 1990 Ski Brendella and I got back into it. Went to college at 18 and took the boat with me! However spent most the time drinking beer and tubing the girls. After college I really wanted to get back to skiing, sold the Brendella due to massive abuse and over 1500 hrs and bought and MB. Moved to sacramento area and finally joined a lake to give the course a crack. I love boats and have owned a bunch different ones. (1)MB, (4) Mastercrafts ,(1) Malibu (2) CC (1) Svfara and currenlty have a 1993 Californai Skier. PB was 2@32 but lack of skiing has resulted in much lower bouy count lately. Hoping to give my first tourny a whirl this year.

• Baller

JP Polsak, 45 years old. I started skiing behind an old Glaspar with a 75 Evinrude at our cabin on Lake Cushman when I was 7 or 8 and was about as big as a five-year-old. I had to wear shoes to fit into the Cut N' Jump's bindings, but I could stand up when they put the boat in gear.

I skied every day with a couple of pals during the summer of '83 and ventured into the course a couple of times, but never came close to running it. I never tried again until 2010 and have been completely obsessed ever since.

I sat out most of 2010 with a torn rotator cuff and then again last year I sat out most of the summer with a broken foot, but I have gotten a peak at 28' off this year and after another clinic with Jodi Fisher, I think I've got the clues to getting to that next color. Ballofspray has given me the vocabulary and knowledge to self-diagnose problems I'm having and the tools to fix 'em. It's pretty rad!

Thanks Horton and all the rest of you wing nuts!

JP

• Baller
John Brooks - 55 years old, first deep water start 10 years ago, first time in the course at age 46, first tournament age 48, now totally addicted and skiing 4 days a week thanks to my sponsor (aka – wife of 29 years). Some would ask why start slalom skiing at 45 years old, I would say, why not. Completely immersed in the sport as skier, driver, judge, scorer, safety director, soon to be TC and tournament director (maybe someday will find something I am good at and stick with it - ). Looking forward to this year as my first entry in Regional’s. Fully enjoy this site and thanks to Horton and contributors for all you do to make it entertaining….and informative.

• Baller
39 y.o. family doc through the blue and battling the purple pretty much every set. Ski the swamp with @cowtipperguy and both home site and New Germany with my brother @Razorskier1. Also ski two other spots regularly with, gasp, non-ballers.

• Baller

48 (almost 49) year old Iowa boy (in MN for last 20 years). Still remember being scared to death standing on the front of my old man's skis when I was 4-5 years old. Then remember being scared to even think about crossing the wake when I finally could get up on one ski (I just knew that darn thing would make me fall!). Spent my teens and 20s throwing big walls of water and breaking handles and ropes. Then @6balls showed me a course and I have spent 20 years trying to unlearn everything I knew about slalom! My oldest boy is 19 and has slalomed with me and my wife every morning at 6:30AM for the last bunch of years. Now that he's a college kid, he has also picked up trick and jump, where he's making fast progress. My younger two, 17 and 15, ski a little, but aren't really into it. Hat's off to all of them for putting up with me and my addiction!

You know, "Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm a Baller".

Bradley Beach. A buncha years ago joined hortons carbon fin forum, not knowing what I was getting myself into. There i learned too much for my own good about fin tweaking Transitioned over to BOS. Guess I'm an old school Baller.

33 yr old two eventer, (slalom and trick) originally from a Kansas city where I ski'd and learned a ton from the great Ez Ed. Spent 6 years in swmo skiing at lake Freddie and table rock lake. Now I live in San Antonio, Tx and ski at San Marcos river ranch with my two of my favorite ski partners Jeff and Tina Lindsey. I still have to ski bg boy speed, trying to get better at the green loop and possibly see some more blue this summer.

• Baller
@kstateskier, did you ski collegiate? I'm a bit older, but skied for Iowa and traveled to the Kansas tourney a few times on that square lake of theirs. Partied like crazy, skied ok, great memories.

• Baller

Hi! Steve Thompson here. 49 years old for a few more months! I have skied since I was 9, beginning in the Tacoma area, mostly on Puget Sound until we moved to the Sun Valley, Idaho area in 1998. I never skied in a competition, but did ski the course for training, and attempted to copy Bob LaPoint in his video with MIke Suyderhoud, along with adding some bend to the knees from watching Mapple on TV during the 80s and 90s when I skied most seriously.

From 98 until this year, I have only skied several times a year, with the focus being on my young family. Now that my kids are getting to boat driving age, I am trying to get into skiing a bit more again. I also posted an intro here: http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/5552/newbie-intro

After learning on my friends' Connelys, my gear history is pretty much in the Denny Kidder line beginning with my first Redline in 1980, through my venerable Duvall s900 that I used until the top peeled last year.

I am currently on a new to me D3 Nomad RCX that I just received a couple/few weeks ago. Just spent a good chunk of the last day rebuilding the binding with new parts and attempting to set the ski back to stock so I can experiment from there. Gonna have to get an 8 inch tool and some gauges, but I think I have it pretty close! Anyway, that's me!

Chris Goodhue, 16 years old, been skiing competitively sense i was probably 8, skiing sense 4 or 5, i live on a private tournament site owned by my parents, i am a 3 event skier, we live in massachusetts, i trick 2500, jump 110 and slalom into 32 off on a good day, i also love snow skiing and making videos of me and my friends doing stuff

check them out if you get a chance

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisGski3?feature=mhee

• Baller
Andrew Brisbourne, 35 y.o. from Shropshire, UK. Started on the sea in North Wales years ago behind a Shakespere with a Johnson 75. Got into the course 10 years ago at a nearby lake haven't stopped since, did my first competition last year hoping to do a few more. I'm a lurker on BOS but always checking it out. Any other Ballers in the UK ?

• Baller

28 year old x-ray tech in SE MN not far from @MS. Grew up on Lake Minnewawa in northern MN. Biggest regret is not skiing until I was 16, minus on day around age 10. Tried the course a few times, sucked big time, swore it off and went in pursuit of smooth morning and evening glass.

Now after a tip from a fellow BOS lurker and mountain snowmobiler I waste time on BOS. Skied once with MS this spring, then went under the knife for a torn hip labrum and some cleanup....no water time for me all year.

I keep thinking I want to try the course again and give it some time, but who knows. Watched a tourny at @MS lake and thought it looked fun, met @Thager and he seemed nice. So who knows maybe next year I will decide to spend my summer hating water skiing and learn the course.

And any lurking doctors in northern MN I am open to moving if you have a job.

• Baller
Carl Pugh 55 years old, the first time I saw a slalom course was at Horton Lakes about 25 years ago. My coach and driver was John and Dirt, I guess I should have listened better considering how those guys are skiing maybe I would be skiing better now.

• Baller

Greg Youens 46 from Austin Tx area. I'm do maintenance and repairs on Automated equipment. I grew up skiing at Lake Travis were my family had a lake house. First tried skiing when I was 7 and had some bad experiences, Hated it. Year later may family talked me into trying it again and I was hooked, I went from 2 skies to slalom within weeks. I never had any instructions and learned everything wrong and have been working every since to brake all those bad habits.

As a Freshman at University of Texas I met a guy on my dorm floor that was on the Ski team. I had made may parents take me to the Pro Tours when they come through Austin so I had always wanted to try the slalom course. I tried out for the team and didn't make it but went to Bennett's that spring, talked my dad into trading in the Sea Ray for a tournament ski boat. The next year I made the team and kept sking into the early 90s. I was a Mastercraft Promo member for several years, I got busy with life and sold the boat for a down payment on some land and just kinda unintentionally quit skiing.

Last year I was looking for something I'd stick with that be good exercise, I'd been missing skiing for years. I pulled out my old Obrien LaPoint water ski and headed out to a evening ski school ran by ToddL. A friend documented may 1st time back on the water after nearly a 20 year lay off. Kinda funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10nQqcOEn0Y&list=PL2D6928FAA2C5B171&index=4&feature=plpp_video

I meet some friend that ski, we've joined at Frameswitch ski lakes. I bought a Radar Strada from ski-it-again. I'm starting to run 22 off 34mph and making bad ill fated attempts at 28off. My goal is to run 28 off by the ending of the season. BOS and Youtube has been great for furthering my technique. There's so much more information out there than when I was skiing before. Its no wonder the up and coming kids are so good now.

• Baller
Geordie Kurtz 37 years old, live in Ariss, Ontario Canada. Work at out family owned trucking company. Started skiing at about the age of 8, about 5 times a year until the age of 16 when we bought the family cottage, started slalom skiing then, finally took some lessons and joined McClintocks Ski Club when I was 29 and have been working at breaking bad habits ever since. I am now a driver/coach at the club and am addicted to skiing. My dream now is too build and live onmy own private ski lake. (will be tough here with the laws in Onatrio)I am a BOS lurker and have learned a ton of the site and visit it pretty well every day. Thanks for all the great posts and to John for all the hard work you do, making this site what it is.

• Baller
Keith, 38 out in the blackstone valley of Massachusetts. I learned to ski back in high school when I would go visit my uncle in AZ for the summers. Lake Powell was a great place to learn. I have skied on an off since and now that I live down the road from a lake I am getting out about twice a week. My wife is getting into it and hopefully my 5 year old son will be soon as well. I have a 19' jet boat with a twin turbo 468 cubic inch chevy. It isn't a competition boat for pulling skiers, but I can get people out of the water pretty quick :)

• Baller
...a new definition of short-line spray. Cool video...what mph do you get up top? Back in the day we had a 17.5 ft Switzer outboard that would run mid 70's, and rode in a buddy's Baker tunnel hull with a modified Merc that would run 105.

Sunvalleylaw, are there any courses or jumps around Ketchum or Hailey? I have seen an abnormal number of inboards being towed through Hailey? just wondering what the skiing population in Idaho does for grins.

• Baller

@Oldskeer, are you in Hailey, or visiting the area? In any case, I agree there are a lot of comp boats in this area. There is a private ski lake south of Bellevue, and another private lake down near Shoshone on the way to Twin Falls. There is often a course or sometimes two in Magic Reservoir off of Highway 20. No other courses I am aware of.

The rest of the comp boats are used for open water or free skiing, wakeboarding, and often surfing up at Redfish Lake, Alturas Lake, and to a lesser extent, Petit Lake and Stanley lake up past Galena summit. Maybe someone puts in a temporary course up there sometimes, but I don't remember ever seeing one. The lakes are pretty deep, especially at the mountain ends where the glaciers carved them out. Due to the elevation, comp boats do a lot better job of pulling up there. My old outboard that pulled pretty well for a family boat at sea level, struggles quite a bit up at Redfish. It is a little better at Magic, which is over a 1000 feet lower in elevation.