How about..."If money were no object" what ski/boot combo would you have?

SDNAH2OSKIER

I knew I would make myself crazy with this but for fun, would anyone ditch their current stick for something else that you would rather have but wont buy because $1200 is stupid money for a water ski????? Or $1200 +++ for hardshells or other boots??? +++ tax, shipping, bag........

I am just curious if all of these skis were say $500 what would you be riding?

• Baller
The season is short, life is short, and everything in this sport is pretty expensive. There are a lot of smart, dedicated folks putting a lot of time and thought and engineering into these skis every year. IMO money is not an object with regard to ski equipment if it makes what little ski time we have more fun/easy/rewarding. D3 Fusion should be on my doorstep Friday.

I probably would have gotten the new attack boot but i went with the animal because it was what i knew.

Any stick singular? id be like a girl with a closet full of skis. Id want a newer elite that new 33and whatever else i could put in my closet... Ive mentioned this before but skis here in korea are almost double the price. Carbon nano:$3000 A2 $2000. Sans rival or reflex are closer to $4000. Everyone go do youself a favor and buy a second ski because you can... Let the wife get some shoes too if it will make her shut up.

• Administrators

@SDNAH2OSKIER

I think you will find that most of the regular Ballers are on the ski they would ride if money was no object. If they think a Goode will get them another ball they will get the Goode. Or the HO or the Connelly or the D3 or the San Rival or the Razor or the Jobe or (New yet unseen) O'Brien or the not yet easy to get AM or whatever.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Im going to have to agree with Horton. I dont know ski prices that well, but the ones not named Reflex or Sans Rival tend to be similarly priced and within a few hundred dollars of eachother. I know I could have settled for a cheap and old Monza from SIA for a couple hundred but I was dead sit on an Elite, cost was a factor but every couple weeks I saw myself raising my price limit by a hundred bucks.

Agree with @horton 2011 strada tested the best for me so that's what I ski on... Although that may change with the new AM ski. As for boots I ski strada front with a Rtp because that's what I do the best with. Even tho I still get feelings of regret moving off wiliey hiwraps.

If money were no object I'd get boat, maybe two, and a truck to pull it. Then get my friends interested in doing it. I'd probably learn how to wakeboard some too. And yes like Jibster have a bunch of different high end skis.

I already spend money like its no object skiing. a quarter of my annual income has already gone to skiing. I have a member ship (100 pulls) and I still spend a good chunk of my time at other clubs. Worse yet, since Im in incredible physical condition my body can withstand skiing 12 passes a day, every day, so I take a rest because Im sick of skiing, not because I cant do it.

• Baller

At my weight I bought a 69 Strada 55 at the end of last season and although I liked it, heard good things about the 69.5 Strada, so I bought a 2011 close out.

But, if money was really no object, I guess I would buy a new SN and leave the stock prop on but just keep a 500 gallon gas tank along the lake and a 50 gallon oil barrel.

• Baller

Agree with @MS -- it is more about what skis I'd like to try. I'd take a Fusion, Strada, Sans Rival, and an AM in addition to my current Razor. Stick with the Strada front binding and RTP.

All I want is more buoys with less effort -- is that too much to ask???

I am with @MS, I think I may well just buy a Fusion, A2 and Prophecy and ditch the ones I dont use. I figure I'd spend $1500 on a new ski, I can probably buy 2 of them second hand for 650-750 each. After horse trading in and out of the ones I dont like I bet I wind up with a winner for around $1000. And if money really were no issue, I would be at the Malibu store at 10a sharpish. : )

• Baller

Do drug addicts stop buying if the price goes up? :-)

For those of us who have spent the last decade(s) trying to figure out how to add "just one more buoy," I think we're going to buy whatever ski we feel gives us the best chance. As it happens I am currently set up with a 9900sl and T-factor boots, a combination that I absolutely love.

My main barrier to switching is not the cost, but the time. I am not willing to give many of my precious practice sets to the evaluation of skis, so I usually try to wait until something comes along that almost everyone agrees is better, and then I can just buy it and make it work. I see some possibility that this could be the case with either the new AM ski or the Goode that Regina was riding, so I'm keeping my ears open (and my checkbook at the ready!)

I am on the ski now that is giving me the best course success. A 69" 2012 triumph with double wilys .6'3", 195 lbs. I have tried lots of skis, including some high end ones. I figure that there is value in knowledge though, and I have no regrets. I finally went with what works for me. Having a blast.

If money was no object, I would put out a reward to get my original Sixam back that was stolen out of my car. The replacement Sixam never performed as well. My Quattro is close but not like that first Sixam.

I agree with Ral, and would add that time is a more important variable than cost. I have such limited time to ski that I don't have enough time to try many skis. I've had a D3 sitting in my dining room for over a week now that I haven't had the time to try.

Than: absolutely. I free skied for many years, & only occasionally tried the course, and made only small progress. I decided to pay for lots of coaching & course time, and that is what works. I wish I did that years ago, but better late than never.

• Baller

It's not the ski, it's the skier!

If money were no object I'd be riding a superlight boron fiber ski custom tuned to my style (?!) with soft hardshells custom tuned to my feet. Hmmm, it hasn't helped.

Eric

@Dirt has it figured out

• Baller
@SDNAH2OSKIER To prove exactly that point to me about equipment vs coaching, an Elite skier got on my ski with my bindings and ran 39 1/2 off. First time on the ski, although he had the same hard shells on his ski(which was a different model entirely). It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

@horton you are right. It took me a high end ski to do what I used to do pre injury on a first run CDX. Coaching is always the most important as well as ski partners who actually ski and don't just drive and drink beer...

• Baller
I would try all of the skis out there, and the one that works out of the box the best for me is the one I would bring home. I have never tried hardshell bindings. I have the D3 Leverage bindings. They are as comfortable as a pair of hightop sneakers. I would stick with those or an equivalent.

• Baller
I would like to try the Quantum trick ski, and the D3 honeycomb trick ski. I would like to see a Wiley's trick binding where the heel and toe pieces are made of EVA Rubber(like the O'Brien Contact bindings).

If money were no object, I would start my own ski company and hire Andy Mapple, Dave Goode, Denny Kidder, and the LaPoint brothers as my ski designers. They would make me a hollow cored, resin transfer molded, dual rockered, dual locked, stepped bottom asymmetric unbreakable ultralight mid-mid-ride secret prototype R&D test ski built with nano carbon technology and real 3K twill weave carbon fiber graphics!