Best open bow boat for skiing

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

So I just had a discussion with an acquaintance who has an '03 or '05 (he was not sure which) Malibu Response LX (stepover, not walkthrough) that they are not using much. Though he does not have authority to offer, and I do not have authority to accept yet (we both would have to get the proposal through committee ;-0), we talked about partnering on the boat for the next two years, then us taking the boat over after his kids are gone, and they do not want a boat any more. They only go out 6 or 8 times a summer now. Maybe 25 hours a summer he says. It is a very nice looking malibu, though he did put a tower on it since his kids are nationally ranked snowboarders, and therefore, wakeboarders. No wedge.

It has been well maintained by him and the price could be very right. What do you guys think of the 03-05 stepover malibus?

This is all very preliminary, and it might not make it out of committee on one end or the other, but it could be a decent way to get into a good boat.

• Baller
My Bakersfield ski buddy's 97 SNOB is for sale on Ski It Again, SIA19616. He will be picking up a Malibu TXI promo boat from SLC, Utah in a few weeks. I'll bet he could deliver the SNOB to you. I've skied behind it a bunch and it's got a sweet wake, is in great shape, drives like its on rails and starts every time. Has stargazer with the Z-Box already. Offered at $13,490...Nuff said. Check it out

Get a cobalt!

That boat offers you amazing value. It's a stern drive so a the touch of a button(trim button) you can have the wake size however you want it.

Not sure what size your looking at or price range. But you can get a cobalt 226 which is 24ft with swim platform from 24-28. And those are '02-'06.

It's the best boat on the water. Whether you wanna ski, wakeboard or ride around in style. You can't go wrong with a cobalt!

• Baller
@tsouthar, for a recreational boat they are probably fine, but as a true ski boat comparing a cobalt to a nautique/malibu/mastercraft or other high end direct drive ski boat is like comparing apples and bowling balls. Very different mission for those two styles of boat.

• Baller

Well, the idea of sharing the '03 Bu LX made it out of committee on my end. I will contact the owner and see if he was truly serious, and ask him to submit it to committee on his end. Likely a next year's project other than maybe a test day or two at this point.

We are surrounded by forest fires up here, and the air quality has been very poor where we camp up at Redfish and the north lakes to ski, and where this family uses their boat. The authorities say they this fire (up near Stanley, ID, called the Halstead fire on the inciweb site), is going to burn until the snow flies or other wet and cold weather kills it.

If we get a break in the smoke, and we can get the families together, this time of year is usually a great time to get out there, into early Sept.

• Baller

@Ham Wallace, I am going to wander down and take a look at this boat today I think, and try to find out what motor it has, etc. I know it is a nice boat, but I don't know all the details. As i said, he was not sure what year it was. They got it in around 05-06, but he couldn't remember what year it was. he thought '05 and his wife thought '03.

Before skiing behind the '09 S/n 196 (also a nice wake), my favorite wake was a 90's Malibu closed bow, and I skied behind this boat before, and the wake is very nice. I hope this all works.

• Baller
If anyone is interested I have some friends with a 2003 Malibu response LX open bow. Near Dallas Tx. Probably get it for less than 20K. Its in great shape with trailer. Perfect pass. Less than 500 hours. PM me I'll give you Number.

• Baller

Re-awakening this old thread as the idea of replacing our old outboard has surfaced again. I was walking along the beach and saw this one which looks perfect for what I want. It is about a '00 I think. Any idea what a 00-03 LX costs?

kv7eyo42h20j.jpg

I love that style bimini top too. About what year did Malibu go to this style of LX?

Just for grins, here is another boat that was at the lake yesterday. I doubt I would go for one, and of course it is not an open bowve7mispkjss8.jpg

. But fun to look at. :)

• Baller_

They made that LX style beginning in 1998 (1999 was the first year with the trunk). They may still make it now. I have a 2009. The new LXR is essentially the same boat, but with a walkthrough instead of a step over open bow.

I would think a 2000 - 2003 LX would be in the $15K range, depending on options, trailer, hours, condition.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@gregy Thanks! Back in the hunt. We lost out on an early 00's RLX a couple years ago, when I started this thread, then just used our old outboard, until we just broke it yesterday. Pulled the tow bar out of the floor, due to rotting old wood, and broke the fiberglass it passed through. I don't think the part we broke was structural, but still. The old outboard motor is worth something, and maybe someone wants the boat for fishing. So, onwards and upwards. Looking at late 90's to early 00's Response LX's. Seems to be the best fit for us. Trying to keep it to around 12k or so.

• Baller
Welcome back. There's some deals out. I think the 99 and later Rlx is best. 98 doesn't bave the trunk but is the same hull. Look for fuel Injection. 92 - 95 prostar 205s are worth looking at, some have fuel injection.

• Baller

For Responses: 99 was the first year of what's still effectively in use from a running surface and deck perspective in the current Response LXR.

99-00 had the current shape and flat dash with knob switches.

99-01 had the drip tray under the driver. '01 got a much nicer (IMO) dash layout

02-0? the paint scheme(s) changed slightly, drip molded decals became standard for the "malibu" decal

03 they went to paddle wheel speed pickup and a stainless topper on the windscreen

Anything newer than that might be a bit out of the price range you're gunning for. I'd look for an '02 or '03 with the Monsoon, up-to-date PerfectPass, and the latest ECM firmware. The '02s tended to conk out when cold. The '03s implemented what's known around the Malibu forums as an "idle flair" which is annoying when tightening the line. Both were fixed with software updates.

• Baller
From a skiing and driving perspective, no. The 98 and the 99+ will perform pretty much identically. 98 will have simpler color schemes, no drip molded decals, more basic upholstery. 98 may also have airguide speedo instead of the Kysor Medallion servo-based gauges. Can't remember which year they introduced that setup.

• Baller
This also has some kind of old speed control feature called BTS which the owner says works sort of like perfect pass. Not a big issue for me, as we rarely have access to a course anyway. Well, maybe not. There is one out on Magic Res. again, and the Res. is full this year. But still, not a huge feature or detraction either way.

• Baller
One last thing. I cannot find the Owner/Seller's name here on the forum, but he has used it to teach lessons on Lake Sammamish, and is on the board of their local club, and has kept it up for that purpose. So looks somewhat promising. :)

• Baller
You can always add PP later, it is a plus though if you can find one with it. The 98 RLx was first year of the diamond hull which is the same hull as the 99+. 325 Monsoon is what I have and its been very dependable.

• Baller

Hey man long time no talk. I did end up buying that SNOB in bakersfield, and it has been great for me so far. I do generally still keep my eyes on that similar market just to always stay up to date on the general value of my boat, and just because I'm a fiend for looking at boats. That one up at Sammamish seems to fit best the description you are talking about as far as I can see in the general intermountain west area.

FWIW, If you do get a good inboard ski boat, such as that RLX, I would start saving my money the second I bought the boat to be able to put perfect pass on it. Even when I'm not in the course, it's a life saver, marriage saver, friend saver, you name it. It just makes every day on the lake better. A lot better.

• Baller

@escmanaze @gregy @UWSkier

Apparently the speed control system it has was known as BTS, and/or SL Cruise. I have not found much on it yet via google search. This is all I have found so far. If it works as described, it might be fine until it breaks, when I could get Perfect Pass or something.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.waterski/p33yFyOsEgw

And, good to talk to you guys again too. My middle son is really starting to like skiing and boating, and my daughter is loving her wakeboard, and may yet ski soon. And my wife has been having fun with it, so it is worth investing in a decent used boat. My back has been holding up decently for freesking, and working on modernizing and improving form. I will have to rebuild my bindings though. LOL! The wraps are ripped pretty badly. They are D3 stock type. I will probably just order replacement parts and rebuild them. My good old Nomad RCX still is working fine for me! Fun to be back at it, particularly as the reservoir near us has water this year, and there is a course I can start using when we are there. Cheers guys!

And @UWSkier , thanks for all your good info! It helps!

• Baller
That sounds awesome!! P.S. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with unksskis. My friend has a 96 PS 205. It's not a terrible wake, but it's not even close to as good as my 97 SNOB. I'm guessing a response LX will be a wake a lot closer to my boat than a 96-98 PS205.

• Baller
Based on my experiences over the years, behind nautiques, MC's and Bu's, and my brother's Tige, I like the Bu just fine. Not that I have not liked the new or near new Nautique wakes. There is a nice boat down at Black Butte Rance in out of shoshone that I love to ski behind. But, not finding those in my price range at the moment. Hopefully this one works out. If not, further shopping will ensue. :)

• Baller
Also, I talked at length with the owner today. He described to me every little nick and detail my brother can expect to find, his maintenance, and etc., and also described that BTS/SL Cruise system. He uses it almost constantly with his teaching and says it works just fine for him, keeping the speed within 0.1 of the setting, ie, if you set at 34.2, it might go to 34.3 or 34.1 but holds it pretty constant. Sounds like it was sort of a "betamax" thing. A decent system, but PP became the standard. Or something like that. ;). In any case, should work fine for my pretty much recreational purposes as you suggest, @escmanaze .

• Baller
Inspection by my brother and his boat ownership partner checked out. A couple minor cosmetic things, but not much for an 18 year old boat. Functionally seems in very good working order. The guy's garage tells the tale. A neat guy, that repairs everything as it comes up. So, hoping to put the deal together this week! Hopefully a new boat day on the way!

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw we ski regularly behind 98-02 year Response LXs and they are still strong and pull skiers in the course very well. It looks great and if it has been well maintained will be a very good boat for you.