Best open bow boat for skiing

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

I am a long time skier, and have skied for years behind outboards. Originally a puget sound thing. Then it was just what I had. Looking to upgrade. Has to be somewhat family friendly, and have an open bow. Also has to be used and a decent value. I would prefer not to have a tug boat though. What open bows have good slalom wakes? I might even consider a used outboard mastercraft, just because I am use to the handling of an outboard, and because I am on and off beaches where we ski. The wake should be more for skiing though we will do some wake boarding. No wakesetter boats for me. Also, no I/Os. I have not been a fan of Nautique wakes in the past.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance :-)

Your really opening a can of worms here......Any of the following boats are great. Mastercraft 197, Nautique 200, Malibu TXi or LXi. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Check out the tab at the top of the page for the Promo boats that are for sale. Great deals on a slightly used boat.

• Baller

I was behind a Nautique in the 90's but I don't recall the year of the boat. But you are correct that I have not been behind more recent Nautiques. My favorite comp boat wake I skied behind was a 90's Malibu euro F1. I liked some Mastercraft wakes. My brother's early 00's Tige' wake is ok.

Sounds like the Malibus are pretty popular here! How old is that LXi/TXi boats line?

• Baller
Of course I am biased since I own one, but the '99 - '04 Malibu Sunsetter LXI is a great overall boat with an excellent slalom wake. The wake may be a touch big, as this is a big boat at 21 feet 8 inches long and 93.5 inches beam, but it is really soft....especially at the longer line lengths. Very family friendly...it can easily hold 8 people for a full day on the lake. With the wedge and a bit of weight in the center ski locker they also can be a decent wakeboarding boat. They can be had for the upper teens to low twenties.

@sunvalleylaw A Mailibu Response LX (different than the LXi) may be an option for you. Only caveat is that it's a step-over open bow, not a walk through. Great wakes.

Be sure to check out the ski-it-again link at the top of this page.

• Baller_
Many people feel the 03-06 LXi Malibu is a great boat, it is a walk through design with a 93" beam. The newer ones are very good, but not a barefooters choice. The LX is also well respected, walk over OB and a 90" beam. All have excellent slalom wakes. I would try before I buy to make sure you are happy because they are all different.

@sunvalleylaw Drive down to Burley and take a Moomba Outback for a test drive, not a bad boat and it's significantly less in price. I'm sure they would let you ski behind one if you were interested. They also carry malibus and can get any of their used inventory from their boise store (IdahoWaterSports) also.

• Baller

Ok, modifying my query. I have looked at a couple boats while up at the lake this weekend, and we as a family are actually considering a purchase as a goal. That said, our budget is going to be more in the range of a 90's boat. Realistically, mid 90's. So I am looking at a SNOB, a MC (but I am not sure about a 205, was there a 190 OB model?) or similar era Malibu. Thoughts?

Saw a nice '94 SNOB across from where we ate tonight. Went up and looked, not for sale, but still. (drool).

@travnews, thanks. I will give those guys a call.

Hours can be very misleading. I have bought TWO responses with low hours for their age, one had 250 and was 15 years old and had a bad trans. (The trans cooler was full of impeller bits, shocker) The one we bought last year, 99, I think has around 300, and we had several smaller issues with it. On the contrary, the 06 was a club boat and had 750 hours and that thing hasnt missed a day yet. So, my thoughts are the higher or normal hour range for the boat, the more likely it saw adequate service, and the more it saw regular use, the more bugs got worked out. I always think I am buying a hull, motors are easy to replace and they are "reasonably" priced. I might pass on a boat with 2000 hours but anywhere from 500-1200 and assuming the boat looks a feels like it has been cared for, I would be comfortable with.

@sunvalleylaw, the early 205s were pretty close in hull design to that era of 190. The later generation of 205 was a bit more of a departure from the 190. In 1999, you could get a Sportstar OB (later redubbed the 195), which was a 95--97 ProStar 190 with a bow cut out.

• Baller

Here a a couple local ones for sale: http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/3126920635.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/3042462592.html

I personally think I would choose the red one with a lot fewer hours.

I just need to know I would like that wake. I like a smaller, firmer, flatter wake rather than humpier and soft. The wake I liked best back in the day was the old 1991 closed bow Malibu euro f3. The SNOBs intrigue me a bit.

I really wish this very local boat was an open bow. http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/boa/3075555598.html

• Baller

Ha ha!! This is funny. We're both running our posts and looking for almost the same thing. My wife actually might be willing to budge on the walk-thru vs. step-over thing. The clear consensus seems to be that a post 1997 SNOB is great, but have you heard anything good or bad about the 91-97 SNOB? There is a 94 for sale down here in Utah, but I'm just not familiar with the wake to know where it lies in relation to the response/echelon lx and the 205. We also have a couple of centurions for sale down here in Utah, but I can't find any info anywhere on how good those slalom wakes are.

• Baller

@escmanaze, HaHa! Yeah, that is what I thought. I may end up shopping down in your neck of the woods. Some deals come up in Boise, (I am near Sun Valley), but I bet there are more boats in your market. But I am just in the research stage right now. Have to still get the dough pulled together. Probably a purchase sometime in the next year.

About the SNOB, I guess I was thinking that as long as you 93 and forward, you were good. The hull was good for wakes all through the 90s, according to some above, but in 93, they started using fiberglass stringers instead of wood.

I know a lot love the late 90's SNOBs, but they are still out of my price range, and I am still not sure of the difference. I also still need to understand the difference between the Malibu open bows. I like the idea of a step-over with underneath.

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw and @escamanaze if you rule out walk thru b/c you want the full observers seat you are really down to the two best options; SN 196 open bow and Response LX which are really no compromise ski boats that happen to have open bows. If you want the walk thru the MC 205 vs. the Echelon LX. Echelon LX better pure ski boat but smaller and lower freeboard. All are nice boats relatively low prices these days...lots of boat for the money if you find good examples.

• Baller

Thanks for the input 6balls, I'm going to quiz you a bit more because you're speaking to the exact comparisons that are racing through my mind every minute.

If I can't get my wife to compromise on walk-thru, and she continues on insisting on being able to walk thru, then it sounds pretty simple that the echelon is better than the 92-95 PS205.

However, lets talk SNOB vs. RLX, just in case I really can get her to compromise. I think the SNOB especially would help me get her to compromise because the passengers up front don't have to face forward like they do in the RLX.

The response was introduced in 95 with the SV23 hull. Later it went to the SV23 diamond hull. That apparently was an improvement, but most people think it's not one that I'll really notice. Right?

The SNOB was introduced in 91? Later, in 97 was the Total surface control hull on the SNOB. Some people act like a 91-96 SNOB is vastly inferior to the 97-02 SNOB because the later one has TSC. What do you say? Is it a big enough difference to spend some money on? Or is the 91-96 SNOB just a teeny step down?

• Baller_

my 2 cents.

SNOB 97 and up..none better and way better then previous models

SNOB open bow is small and shallow. Maybe not so safe for little ones riding. Interior is a bit more cramped as they moved the windshield back for the open bow to fit.

Boo open bow makes more sense in sitting forward. And I think if kids go up front it is much safer. Their are also grab rails....I think. Interior size does not suffer.

I bet with the full observers seat (easily fits an adult and a couple kids), you will find most of what ends up in the bow is coolers and ski gear.

• Baller

One last question if you'll let me but you a little more (thanks again by the way for all your help already. 95 RLX and 95 SNOB are your two options for skiing the course tomorrow...which one do you take?

This probably won't happen, because if she concedes on step-over, I'll probably just be patient and wait for a 97+. Nevertheless, there is a 94 SNOB for sale locally, so I have to ask as he may reduce his price enough for this to become a relevant question. There is also a 96 RLX available locally, so if I lack patience, this may matter.

Thanks tons again guys.

• Baller_
Boo better then SNOB for skiing pre 97. After 97 SNOB. Depends on what engines. Multiport is the way to go if you live in cooler climates. And if you do live where the season "ends" be patient. Better deals to be had in fall vs spring.

• Baller
I have a 2007 open bow Mastercraft 197. I hate it! I would never buy another open bow boat of any kind or type. Unless I'm driving it always gets swamped. It's absolutely useless for family/wally type sking/tubing etc. I got talked into it based on resale value - BS!

• Baller_

The Diamond Hull change is not that significant, it is subltly softer, but a prop can make as much or more of a difference. The SV23 hull is the significant element that vaulted Malibu to match the other two in the industry. The Malibu RLX is a great ski boat, as is the LXi which is slightly wider. I don't think you can go wrong there. Personally, I would limit myself to the boats that each mfg designates as a tournament puller, thus leaving out models such as the 205/Sunsetter, why would you settle for a lesser wake if that is a priority?

In your case, if the significant other is the driver, I would choose the one she likes to drive the most . . . best formula to optimize your ski time.

@scuppers you must have some bad drivers taking your boat out. I have a 92 Prostar 205 and have only dunked the nose once, there were 4 girls up front and it was crappy water on a public lake. Everyone in my family has driven my boat and haven't had any dunking problems

• Baller
@itch2ski - Yea possibly - also their maybe a big difference in the hull from a 197 to a 205. I don't know which but I'm still a "no go" on open bows. Plus I'm never comfortable crusing along with someone's kids up in the front. (don't have any of my own)

• Baller
Never had an issue with my 197. I put my two kids and the dog in the front, when we go out for a cruise. Any skiboat will swamp if you dont get the nose up through rollers. My neighbor who has owned Nautiques for 25 years put water over the windshield of his 196 because he wasn't paying attention last week. Same for my buddy and his response LX. If you need a pure "tugboat" on a private lake, go closed bow, but I like to keep my wife and kids happy so I went with the open bow.......it's great.

• Baller_
@skihart Now that you say that, I did take a ton of water over the windshield of my closed bow SupraComp on a big river from the wake of a cabin cruiser. First time using a dropped nose boat. I swear the water just hung there before it came down on my unaware wife and me. Bad thing was the water temp was about 50. She was not happy. Lesson learned.....the hard way.

• Baller

The 197s are much lower in the front than the 92-95 205s. Not really comparable. I ski regularly behind both. I've had water come over the Windshield on a closed bow more than once though. One the open bows the water kinda runs down in to the bilge. In the closed bow it comes over the windshield and soaks anyone in the driver or observer seats pretty good. I used to do it on purpose to in my old MC 190 just to mess with my friends.

One of my ski partners has a 94 Prostar 205, it has a nice wake. They have some spray issue but not that big of deal unless you regularly ski at shorter line lengths. I ski into 28off and it doesn't bother me.

The MC 197 doesn't have much of an open bow. We use it more for storage than anything when skiing.