Set up help on '08 D3 Nomad RCX 68", also length question.

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Hi folks! Newbie Steve here. I posted an intro here: http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/5552/newbie-intro

I have skied nearly my whole life, and am getting back into more focused skiing after only occasionally skiing the last several years due to young kids. I purchased a decent used '08 D3 Nomad RCX 68" after loving my brother's 68" 2006. I am coming off a 66" Duvall that I have had since my wife gave it to me as an engagement gift a long time ago. Before that, I was on a 65" Kidder Redline. The Duvall helped me get more ski in the water and smoothed me out a bunch. Also, I studied the LaPoint/Suyderhoud tape from the mid 90's a lot. It has been my biggest influence. Based on weight, I could ski either the 67 or 68. I have the stock set up info from D3, but have to get the proper equipment to measure so I can make sure how things are set up.

Right now, as compared to my brother's ski, I feel slightly back on the ski. (update, no longer the case, got the binding dialed in. I also did the bets I could to get the fin and wing back to stock, using a metric ruler and some paper wing guides) I believe my brother raise the front of the fin a skoche. I may try that, or move the fin forward slightly. I may pull the wing off too for now until I can get a tool to check the angle, etc.

Also, I wonder about this length for me. I liked my brother's white top in this length, but am 185 plus or minus in weight right now. Not sure if I should really be on a 67".

Thanks!

• Baller
welcome, it's difficult to say without a dial caliper, and a wing angle gauge set. if it were me. i would maybe stick to moving the bindings up or back maybe 1 hole. once you get your tools the is a ton of info on fin adjustments. there are a ton of ski video's on you tube...maybe start with terry winter..good luck

• Baller
I could not find a dial caliper locally so will need to order one online, and will see about some wing gauges too. i spent time yesterday setting everything to stock the best I could with a detailed ruler and adapting some paper wing angle gauges I found on the Goode site. Not perfect, but I think the ski is closer to stock than it was, and is pretty close. I found that the binding was slightly forward, and that the fin was slightly deep and close to the tail as compared to stock. I also set the wing at 7 degrees as per the stock recs on the D3 site. We'll see how that all feels in an hour or two, get the proper tools coming, and go from there!

• Baller

Well, frustrating session with not much learned. High wind (could almost have done a waterstart on a non floating windsurfer), and a fair amount of boat traffic. Hard to tell much in those conditions. Upwind, ski obviously slowed down and came around quickly and down wind I had to work to not get slack on my offside. But hard to tell much today. Oh well. Next time. Hopefully it will give me a chance to get things measured again with calipers then try again.

• Baller

Bump and Update. The ski is feeling a bit better, as I get used to skiing more again. When I am using better form, it is starting to perform. It still feels a bit long as compared to my brother's white top one which is the same size, but I think he raised the tip of the fin a bit. I am going to ski some more, focusing on the stuff in @Than's article, then consider adjusting the fin. I also may see my brother soon, and may bring my ski to compare settings.

QUESTION: I am about 185 or a little less now, so wonder if a 67" might ultimately be my ski. What do you guys think?