Newbie Intro

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Newbie here, Steve is my name. Living in Hailey, ID, near Sun Valley. Grew up skiing from Connelly wood hook, then Shortline days back in Tacoma. Lots of salt water skiing. Got my first Redline Slalom in '80. Skied a lot in the 90's on a newer 65" Redline then a 66" Duvall. Enjoyed me some course skiing, but not competitively, and spent most of my time pursuing more aggressive and focused freeskiing as though I was in a course, with a course pass or two thrown in during a run. Biggest influence was the Bob Lapoint/Suyderhoud video from the 90s. I watched and visualized the heck out of that tape.

After skiing only occasionally the last decade due to young kids, I am now getting back into it. Hopped on my brother's '06 '68 (Discovered a week or two ago his ski is really a 67") Nomad and loved it. Given my weight, I could ski either the 67 or 68, but since I felt so good on my brother's '68, was leaning that direction. Found me a '08 Nomad RCX that I just got, along with some serviceable D3 bindings. I have binding parts on the way to adjust the fit back down to a medium, and will be doing some work setting up the ski, binding and fin. I will start a thread on that so I can get some advice.

I hope to get a lot more runs in, and find a way to get back in the course a bit. There are a couple comp lakes in my area, and i have a loose invite to join some guys once in a while. I will be pursuing that for sure.

Anyway, thanks!

Sup newb, I was shredding on the south end of CDA at the same time you were working out in Tacoma. In San Diego now but still make it up to CDA every year. My story is pretty similar, fell of for a long while raising kids and doing the life thing, finally realizing skiing IS the life thing. : )

• Baller

@skinut, I ski magic res, sometimes Anderson, but my favorite over here in ID is Redfish Lake, particularly the inlet side against the mountains with the wind shadow. My favorite all time place to ski is still Horsehead Bay, Gig Harbor, WA followed by or maybe tied with, Hood River near Dabob Bay. I still love how a ski feels on the salt water. But Redfish before the afternoon winds come up and the lake gets busy is pretty sweet!

@SDNAH20KIER, Where were you skiing in CDA?

Thanks to the rest of you lot!

@sunvalleylaw We have a cabin on cottonwood bay on the southend of the lake. Its nice enough in the morning to ski in the bay however as we progressed we would run across the channnel and up the CDA river that dumps into the lake right next to Harrison and there are several lakes, blue, black, Anderson along the river that we would pull into and literally have to ourselves.