SN200/oil consumption/zero off

Bill Gladding

• Baller
Based on what I am reading and seeing oil use is still a problem with the 200. I have an idea that may hold water. Is it possible the oil is being consumed by the fast turning engine having its throttle body snapped close during deceleration creating high vacuum drawing oil around the piston rings or valve guide seals or both? Kind of what I remeber seeing from behind a hot rod as they would chop the throttle to shift. Each shift you would see a little puff of smoke out the exhaust when the throttle body snapped shut. I don't own a vacuum gauge (yet) but it would be interesting to see how much vacuum spiked as the throttle modulated pulling a skier. This is not a criticism just an interesting thought. Previously engines were slower turning and servo modulated. Not quite as vigourous a process that goes on now with the heavier boat, faster turning engine and very reponsive throttle body. If so I would think the engine builders could provide a remedy although likely not a retrofit...

• Baller
I have a SN200 with close to 700 hours on it and it doesn't burn oil. I've had the boat for 1 1/2 years and put 300 of those hours on it. I switched to the Acme 422 prop to lower the rpms and use Royal Purple Synthetic. Not sure what the previous owner used, but he boat came with the original Acme 1468 prop and turned the high rpms described above.

• Baller
Shane, did the 200 at the Conroe tournament have the 422? I'm asking because my son said your boat felt stronger than mine, but I'm thinking they both have the same prop. The differences are likely in his head. I didn't notice any differences in the 2 boats.

• Baller_

Before we get a little out of sorts with this burning oil deal I thought I would share what I just found on a 09Air Nautique that was reported to burn oil also with 200 hours on the motor. The Boat came in today non running claims of burning a Qt every 10 hours. After running diagnostics and finding contaminated fuel. I pulled the flame arrest-or off and found it incredibly clogged up with black gradue/foreign material. examined the breather hose coming off the valve cover it was very wet with oil, also a very black butter fly on the throttle body with black soot. my experience tells me that because the flame arrestor was so clogged up the motor was getting its fresh air from inside the motor block via the breather hose also PCV and sucking oil in the process.

Some thing to look at before making claims of burning oil... Check and clean your flame arrestor.

The 2011 200 we sold last week had the 422 prop installed on day one and with the exception of tourneys it was never taken off. With the 422 the RPM's at 34 MPH were 3,900. From the first oil change at 25 hours and every 50 hours thereafter we used Amsoil synthetic and the 25,000 mile Amsoil filter and with 275 hours on it as of the sale date it had never burned any oil.

As for the fuel we have it delivered without ethanol so except for one out of town tourney it had never had ethanol used in it.

We are getting ready to order a 2013 200 and are wondering what percentage of 200's are burning oil if anyone has an idea. Thanks.

• Baller
It sure seems like something is out of sorts. Maybe figuring out how to let the engine breathe better is the solution. A bigger prop will sure slow down better so the throttle body may not be clamping down as hard when one is being used. This problem hit close to home recently and when the idea popped in my head I thought it might be a good one for discussion.

• Baller

Has anyone tested valve seals and compression? could be a batch of bad valve seals, or piston rings, etc.. Parts are parts, and you never know where they came from. I assmume there is no oil in the bilge, like a soft plug or something easy...

I guess you can try a white cheese cloth held against the exhaust and rev it a little to see if some black oil is deposited on it.