Handle guard with clinchers

Chef23

• Baller
Anybody using a handle guard with clinchers? I have a TW one but it is a little too close with the clinchers and after reading about the recent injury I am feeling like I need one. If anyone has any experience with clinchers and a handle guard I would appreciate their thoughts.

• Baller
Hey @chef23, I've been using them with Clinchers (now the ML version) pretty much since he started making them and no issues to date, don't even know it's there (I don't attach the center strap thingie). The ones TW made for me leave a little more room between guard and handle than usual but otherwise no changes. I need to contact him for a couple more, I assume he's still making them?

• Baller
I've been using the Power Vest Clincher style gloves with a FM handle guard without issue. I'm not sure of the difference between the FM ones and the style that Mr. Wayne manufactures. The FM version leaves you plenty of room. You don't even notice that it's there. Like Ed, I don't use the middle thingy, in fact I cut mine out.

• Baller
Just heard from TW, he's definitely still out there and still making HandleGuards. In fact he now holds the patent for the idea (a full utility patent, pat # 7959481). If anyone needs his contact info his e-mail it's twcues@gci.net. I'm ordering two more.

• Baller

@6balls, I have punched the handle at 36 MPH Over the front, and I KNOW my Fluid Motion Handle guard saved some sort of Arm Appendage from injury. I wear clinchers all the time or my day is not quite the same. I do not notice any obstruction and I never used the "middle thingy" as others have described it (pretty sure that's the technical term anyway) .

To answer your question regarding the chances of forcing your arm into the (much smaller) hole that any handle guard would present, I would venture a guess to say less of a chance? A lot less. I think a Needle is hard to thread, much more so at 36mph at 38 off. Change that to a Knitting needle with the same size string and I could imagine that I might be able to thread that by accident in a nasty over the front.

Nothing is foolproof. Please buy a handle guard/roll of duct tape. Anything. I've made the rest of my family start skiing with my handle guard. No one has even asked what the thing is much less had it obstruct their grip.