Ron Toole Seriously Hurt

lhoover

• Baller

Ballers, we need your thoughts and prayers for our good friend and ski buddy in Houston, Ron Toole. His left arm was devestated by the handle in a Sat morning set. Dave Cox was driving and felt the sudden jerk, looked in the mirror, and saw some "red stuff" flying away. It was about 50% of Ron's biceps, in addition to filleting his upper arm so badly the docs had to import leg veins.

He is doing remarkably well as of Sunday afternoon, has movement in his hand, and can move his arm from the shoulder with about 20% full range. He has a ton of rehab in the near future, in addition to multiple surgeries. Infection is a real problem for now.

I know we have had a recent discussion and been around the tree on handle guards. Ron was not using one. Could the guard have prevented this? Obviously, we will never know, but I bet a dollar Ron would love to have found out. Why not err on the side of safety and caution in an already incredibly demanding physical activity? Why not take out another variable if possible?

Please pray that his recovery will be as full as possible and he can rejoin the ski gang in any capacity. We already miss him.

• Baller

I have already ordered a handle guard to try. At 70yo+, Ron's a maniac. I've watched him ski a 3rd set on a day where he's skied 9 of the last 10 days. Surgery lasted over 7 hours, so this was definitely a devastating injury.

Dave Cox was still pretty shaken up when Jeff Greathouse and I skied with him yesterday afternoon.

• Baller

This accident brings up a few safety items, which I think most of us overlook. How many ski sites have the following:

1- Address of lake posted

2- Contact info for owners

3- addresses of local emergency rooms

In the case of Ron's accident, to get the address Dave had to go find one of the owners. Luckily, she was home and very close by, so it didn't lengthen his time to get treatment. But it was something that could effect treatment time in some accidents.

Also, something that Dave noted was that he had to go back to the dock to get his cell phone as he had not brought one in the boat. I've always viewed a cell phone as a convenience item in the boat, not as a safety item. My thought process has now changed on that.

• Baller

Ron is one of the best guys in our sport and an inspiration to all of us. He is in our thoughts and we hope he gets better quickly. I'm sure Cox was shook up. That stuff stays with you awhile from that side too.

Marc

• Baller
I will say we had to call 911 at the lake this week and none of us knew the address. We all knew the road but not the street number, the 911 operator was not helping either. I had to go back to an email that @OB sent with our address in it while watching a 18 year old bleed from his head. Wound up not needing the ambulance but still a scary experience.

• Baller

It is my understanding that Ron WAS using a handle guard. From a fellow skier:

Bad news! Ron Toole, a Conroe, TX M8 slalom skier whom I got to know at several tournaments over the last couple years, has had a very serious accident. It was in practice, and his wife told me he was using a handle guard. I believe it happened last Wednesday. He may get out of the hospital tomorrow, but will likely return. The handle apparently went clear to his arm pit. When the pull came on, it tore his skin, muscles, tendons and whatever else there is down to his wrist. His muscles were lying in the water beside him. He nearly lost his arm completely and probably nearly bled to death in the water. He was given 2 liters of blood and is still bleeding 5 days later. He may or may not recover motion in his arm. He hit a buoy. His plates came off his ski, but his feet stayed in the boots. Had he not had a coast guard approved vest, he might have drowned. He couldn't use his injured left arm and couldn't use his feet because of the plate binders. All he had was his right arm and his vest to keep him above water. His boat driver got help ASAP, and he was helicoptered to Hermann Memorial Hospital in Houston. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

• Baller

Joe, quite a few errors in the letter to you concerning Ron. I made an error in my post saying it was Saturday morn when the accident was on Friday morning. So, it has not been 5 days since the accident and Ron is not laying in the hospital bleeding. Otherwise, the severity of the accident is difficult to exaggerate, including a huge loss of blood.

There was no handle guard, unfortunately. I'm sure that guards, like seat belts, can contribute to an accident/death every million situations, but this was not one of them.

Will keep the ballers apprised of the latest, and keep Ron in your prayers.

• Baller

This is the email Ron's son sent out yesterday:

For those of you who have not heard, my father was in a waterskiing accident on Friday morning. He was skiing at Deegan’s Lake with David Cox.

He fell on his third attempt at ’35 off. On his way to three ball, he was running a little late, and was trying to stretch it around 3 ball, but the tip of his ski hit the buoy. This threw his upper body forward. He remembers the ski hitting his arm, but I think that his arm much have gone through the handle also, probably up to his arm pit. When the rope came tight, the grip of the handle was bend into a “V” shape around his arm (I have not seen the handle yet, but those that have say it is amazing!). As the handle slid down his arm, it did some major damage. The deltoid, and pectorals muscles were stretched and dislocated, the entire bicept muscle was torn away, along with major portions of the tricept. There was obvious major arterial & vascular damage. The skin was torn off his arm from his shoulder to his mid forearm. Amazingly there were no broken bones, or major structural damage below the elbow. The team of surgeons at Herman were able to relocate the shoulder muscles, repair most of the tricept, do vascular grafts from his leg for that missing from the bicept region (30CM!), and unroll and reattach the skin on his arm. He is without a bicept muscle now.

After the fall, Dave rushed back over to him, and pulled him by his life jacket on the platform of the boat. My dad feels fairly certain that the USCG life vest he wares saved his life. His ski separated, but his feet were bound together by his boot system. He obviously could not use his left arm, and was barely able to keep his head above water with his right arm. Once Dave got him stable up on the platform, he realized the severity of the injury. He beached the boat and ran to Katie Deegan to get her to call for help. She did, and amazingly the EMT got there within just a few minutes. They assessed him to be lifeflighted due to the major amount of blood loss, and the hope to get him to good surgeons to save his left arm. They landed the helicopter there at the lake, and got him to STICU (Shock Trauma Intensive Care Unit), Herman Memorial in the Medical Center. He underwent about 8 hours of surgery.

He is currently in recovery at Herman now is a regular room (don’t have the room number yet)

They have his arm in a large wrap, with a splint immobilizing the elbow joint. He is doing amazingly well! When I was with him yesterday afternoon, he was able to stand up and walk around without assistance, and even ate a full meal of hospital food (Now that is amazing!!! Guess when you are hungry, you can do amazing things!) He is in really good spirits, but a little tired for obvious reasons. He says he has accepted that his skiing career is probably over, but I keep telling him that there is always toe holds in trick skiing for him!!!

The doctors have said many times that they cannot believe that this was a 72 year old man they were working on. They said his body was in better shape than most 40 year olds they work on! They also said that there will probably be more surgeries down the road to improve mobility of the elbow joint. If his recovery continues well, he could go home early this week (Tuesday – Wednesday!) Yesterday afternoon, he was able to move all of his fingers, (about 50% range of motion). His index finger has the least mobility, but is moving. His shoulder is also moving well, he is able to pick up his entire left arm unassisted, and move it about 20% range of motion.

I will try to keep everyone updated as I get new information. Please feel free to forward this information on to anyone in the skiing community you think might be interested. Someone also suggested posting it on Skifly, but I am not a member. Please feel free to do this if you have access.

I would like to also ask that everyone please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

• Baller
One thing Dave Cox commented on was the speed at which the EMT's arrived. Deegan's, like a lot of ski lakes, is kind of in the middle of nowhere. About 10-12 minutes from any of a few towns. He said the EMT's arrived within 5 minutes of the call going to 911 and life flight had arrived within 20 minutes. Thank goodness we live near a huge metro area with arguably the best concentration of medical facilities in the world and Ron could be in surgery within an hour or so of the injury.

• Baller

Thoughts and prayer's to Ron and his family. I don't know why I haven't moved sooner to get an arm guard but I won't ski again until I get at least a duck tape version.......everyone should.

My arm went through the handle back when I was 14 or so. It only went through up to my elbow and luckily it was only major bruising but it can happen to anyone.

• Baller
Ballers, here is an update from the eldest son of Ron. He did not have a good Sunday night, spiking a temp of 103. As of 1PM (that's 1300 for OB) he was still at 101. The infection possibilities are still the biggest problem. He is not receiving any calls or visitors so continue to remember him in your prayers.

• Baller

Does it make sense for tourney days to have the local ambulance service know what is going on where as part of the protocol for hosting a tourney? They don't need to be present but need to be able to find it.

This also rehashes a prior thread...I take care of multi-victim high impact trauma in the ER but have to jump through hoops to be the safety guy at a tournament...kinda crazy. We should have backboards and c-spine immobilization available (in a variety of sizes for c-spine) at all tourneys.

• Baller
6balls, I totally agree! I've been a safety guy for years. In the years I've been involved, I've been trained/refreshed with in an adequate time frame by qualified trainers but my training is no where near the level it should be for this type of a situation. I only hope that if put in this type of situation I do the right thing! Personally I would feel a whole lot safer if someone whos trained for and been in an emergency situation were on site and able to participate in a life threatening situation.

• Baller

Really saying some prayers for Ron, it would not have stopped this incident, but just a reminder to everybody, check your gear before you ski, we do participate in a sport which can be very dangerous, here we have a Guy who has skied for many years, must of skied hundreds if not a thousand plus sets, and has very serious injuries, I truly wish him well, it,s going to take a while.

This sport is thrilling and exhilarating, but cruel at times

I have seen several injuries, even lost a best friend to a water ski accident, If not for yourself, use a handle guard for your family and friends, make sure you check your gear and water/course conditions before you get in the water.

Praying for Ron and stay positive!

• Baller
Ski smart, too. We're never perfectly safe but sometimes pays to re-think how you approach a mad scramble (maybe give up) and whether or not you take a big slack hit vs. throwing the handle far away. I'm far from perfect, but getting better at letting a pass go.

• Baller
It is a strange sport sometimes. I give up the handle anytime I'm in trouble, and never let it get near my upper body. That being said, last year at a tournament I was rounding 3 ball at 38 off. Turned the ski and the rope was basically in my lap (not sure if it was a driver thing or what, never had that happen before). In any event, somehow the handle and rope ended up getting between my feet and when the slack came out the handle ripped out between my knees and bruised the hell out of my leg (along with a nice rope burn). I considered myself extremely lucky, but have no idea how that incident even happened.

• Baller

Ballers, I have some encouraging news on Ron as of midday Tuesday, from his eldest son, Greg:

Fever down to 98.8

White cell count normal

No external visible sign of infection

IV antibiotics complete

Able to get up & move around the room on his own.

Able to move his shoulder 30 deg in all directions.

Mobility of his hand & wrist continue to improve, & the swelling is definitely decreasing.

He is on almost no pain meds, & says he feels really good.

Due to size of injury, & exposure to fresh water (tons of bacteria), risk of infection is primary concern now. Still have quite a bit of blood pooling in the tricep region w/ most of the wound still seeping blood.

Doctor said that if the bleeding does not stop in the next day or so, they will take him back into surgery to investigate.

He would not even guess on a release time frame. Thank you all again for all of your thoughts & Prayers!

• Baller

@ral--I just got a replacement Arm Guard from TW, as my 4 year old one was cracked due to too many impacts with the ski tip. He had it to me within a week. Email is twcues at gci.net. Everyone should immediately get handle protection if they don't already have it. All upside, no downside...

My thoughts and prayers go out to Ron, and I wish him a full and speedy recovery. Although I don't know him personally, we are all connected in some way by this crazy sport.

Terrible news I hate to hear of serious injuries on the water my best wishes go out to Ron for a speedy recovery. I still want to know if it was a bubble buoy or traditional that he hit? Lots of talk of handle guards that could have possibly prevented the injury what about the buoy?

I also have some concerns with using a handle guard because I have got my hand through the handle before and have been able to get it out. My concern with the handle guard is if by chance my hand gets in between the guard and the handle the chances of it coming out are slim. These may be totally unfounded concerns because I have never used one so I don't really know.

• Baller

I just got me a handle guard from FM. I've very pleased with it. I think my hand would come out just as easily as not having one there. But the main reason I got one is to prevent my head from getting caught in the handle.

Garn

• Baller

Ballers, I have some encouraging news from Sylvia, Ron's lovely wife. Can't confirm his going home at mid afternoon, but here is the mid morn report:

Hi everyone.....Ron will be allowed to come home today until we return to the clinic at Herman next week for evaluations. The doctor told me yesterday that he will have several more surgeries when he has healed enough. He is in good spirits and ready to leave the hospital.....

He doesn't have much pain, but we are now doing easy arm rotation therapy...they taught me how to do it, yesterday. After we did a few movements, the bleeding increased, but the doctor says that is fine...keep moving it. Home health will be called to come over once a week to change the big bandage. I can take care of the small surrounding areas.

This will be a new adventure for both of us and I ask all of you to be very patient with us as we learn a new way to do everyday tasks. Thanks to all of you for the great outpouring of concern, love, prayers and encouragement. We need it all!!!!!!!

I will try to keep as many as possible in the loop.....if you know others...please, contact anyone. I don't have the e-mails for all his ski buddies so feel free to notify them.

Keep the prayers coming. I know God has a good plan for our future as we stand in faith. Love to all.

Sylvia