Alternative to buying a new boat

clakeny

We have an 07 ski nautique with about 1625 hour on it. The hole shot is starting to get pretty weak. We did a compression test on it in the middle of last year and everything checked out ok. We are looking at alternatives to buying a new boat. We have talked about trying to do some sort of repair to it or maybe even replacing the engine. I figured that I would post on here to see if someone had some thought on this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Baller_
5-6 owners sounds like a club to me. ZO, and in good shape and everyones happy with it's skiability..... I'd fix it. If it has any issues, you would have to fix them anyway if your going to sell it. Not to many ways around that unless it's not that noticeable of an issue.

• Baller_

$3500.00 plus shipping gets you a brand spanking new long block 5.7 Chevy. provided all your intake and maranized PCM parts are good we can swap it out for $500.00 I get the core motor! One year warranty.

A new pair if jump skis and a new slalom ski costs that much!

• Baller_
@clakeny. I take back what I said earlier. You should sell that boat to me. Sounds like it's going to be way to much of a pain and expense. I'll take that nightmare off your hands. What???? To late??

• Baller_

If you were to come in my shop with a truly wore out small block I would not re-build it for these reasons. Here in Panama city we do not have the availability of having a crank even balanced, we can have a motor bored but not align bored, I do have a great head re-builder. having to send out motor blocks and cranks for service if needed runs up the overall cost of the build. yea some of us can build for ourselves a small block for around $2,500 or less but....... warrantying for more than 90 days is a tough one. Another $1000.00 and you get a brand new one!

Shane is right though has the motor been put on diacom, leak down, and compression check. how is the fuel pressure? keep in mind that is not cheap either as most dealerships will charge at least $100 per hour to run these diagnostics.

Jody - that sounds like a solid deal for a new long block. Here in MI, we are lousy with motor shops, so rebuilds are cheap. Of course, you still have your same block with other potential issues and you don't have a warranty, like you said. So, a great option.

Can you add modern electronics to an older block and head combo?

• Baller

if its got good compression and otherwise runs well, I would doubt its the motor. as has been stated the engines are good for 2500+ hrs of hard use, if maintained well. could be a bad lifter or valve sticking.

you are also generally going to go through a tranny before the engine, especially a club boat that has 2 speeds and lots of use.

so it could be any number of things not related to the motor. have the drive line checked from the prop up to the tranny. hose leaks, including the exhaust, throttle cable, etc.

richarddoane is on the money. I would start with the injectors. with the fuels today they could be trash. One thing people don't talk about much are valve springs, if they are week it can cost big H.P.

Have a leak down test run on the engine. It should be very cheep to run some tests Leak down , compression

fuel pressure valve spring seat and open pressure. If you do this you will know if a rebuild is needed or just some small amount of tune up work . I would not spend the money for a new boat if you are happy with yours!

• Baller_
Many good comments, but certainly perform a leak down test if the simple things like injector cleaning, filters don't do the trick. A leak test in combination with a properly done compression test will tell you if the hard parts are okay (rings, pistons, valves).

• Baller

If your engine is truly getting weak, get a lower pitch prop. You will run a few more RPMs and cut the top speed but the boat will feel like new for a couple more years. The cost is probably less than a thorough tune up.

The current prop is quite likely not to spec - see if you can borrow a different prop to test. 1600 hours is not that high for an engine - especially with good compression. But my props never last that long.

A cheap plugs and wires tune up might fix things. But you probably don't wait till the rats eat the wires and the spark plug's electrodes erode to nothing (like my boats - which still have good hole shots).

Or you could get a new MC and have a great trick wake too.

Eric