Malibu Monsoon Chirping

MrB

Since I put the boat in the water in early spring, when I go into gear it makes a chirping sound. Also when in neutral, if I attempt to spin the prop by hand it is extremely stiff. Any ideas?

• Baller_

Sounds like the strut bushings, are they the black rubber ones or the white vesconite ones? Are you spinning the prop while boat is in water or out, if out and you have rubber bushings that might be normal as when dry they tend to bind. The new chirping noise adn the fact you notice something would lead me to believe something is amiss.

Check shaft to engine alignment, bent shaft have you hit anything recently? Did you run the shaft dry, that will toast the bushings.

• Baller
But with a really stiff prop, and it only happens in gear. That to me wouldn't point to an impeller, unless the problem is two-fold? I suppose it's easy enough to open the motor box and take a listen by the impeller housing.

• Baller
I have been in the marine business since 1979 and seen on a number of occasions where the rubber in the strut bearings will swell tightening the propeller shaft to he point it cannot be moved by hand. Since you hear it going in gear I would bet it is the shaft starting to turn with its lubricating water squeezed out. Once it starts rotating water works its way back in and the noise ceases. I have yet to have anyone explain why this happens. If itsn't causing you any grief I am not sure I would worry about it unless it continues to swell and tighten.

It chirps all the time now when i put in gear, I did put a new impeller in this spring, no noise coming from there. @Bill Gladding , it is not causing grief but it is not normal for my boat. Is there anything I could do or replace? Should I take it in for repair? Where is the strut bushing? Can I check shaft alignment or I need a mechanic? By the way, I have not hit anything in a long long time.