ski adjustment help

disland

• Baller

My son is on the A1 36 mph

He runs 35 off but not every time. Cant run 38.

On hardest passes only, he occasionally blows out the tail on the offside turn (1,3,5 RFF), usually 3 ball

Fin is mostly stock, Wiley front with RTP.

6.864 tips

.702 with slot caliper, stock is .770, its closer to stock (~.760) if I measure without the slot caliper

8 degree wing

He wants it to feel more solid on the offside turn so it wont slip or blow out.

What adjustment should I try first?

Any help is appreciated. I need to shoot some video but dont have any yet.

• Baller

Where is he with the bindings? A series skis really do not like the bindings at stock. Most everyone runs them back. A lot.

As far as the fin goes, he's got a ton extra tip over stock and a little less depth. You could try going to 2.508 depth and taking a .010 tip out to keep the fin ratio reasonably close to what he's got now. The A series skis typically have a good bit of tail slide so going to less depth may be inducing a bit more than necessary.

• Baller
I'd say it could. Those skis turn so horizontally with so much in the water that they plow when the bindings are forward. Check where he's at. Not sure why HO says to put them where they did. Badal told me recently the more they've moved the bindings back in testing, the better the skis have gotton. He's 1 1/4" back from stock on his 67.5.

• Baller

@shaneH

more info, It's the 66.25" ski, stock is 6.840 so its close

Binders are at 29.5" which is stock. The ski is really working so I am thinking I will add some depth and see how that works before I go for a binder change

• Baller
@ShaneH I just went and looked at my son's ski and he is at 29.5" on a Reflex from the back of the plastic. It is going to take some work for me to move him back given where his boot is set up on the ski. He has a tournament on Sunday I am not sure I am going to move it before then because I don't think I will have the time to move it then get him a practice set.

• Baller
@disland I am super late to the party, haven't been on my laptop in a few days. I would need to see video before doing anything. I would be happy to help you out by looking at a video of an entire set, or at least a walk up the line. But without video I would add depth. That will keep the ski from sliding and skipping out. I had to run 2.515 on my A1 to keep the tail in the water, and it still would slide/kick out at 39.5. My issue was more body position into and out of the ball, once I fixed that I never had a fear of it kicking out on my on-side. Let me know if you need anything else, I would be happy to help.

• Baller
@ShaneH I moved my son's bindings back so that the front is 29 1/8 and didn't say anything to him. He went out and ran 34 15 off for the first time and got 1 @ 22 off. I told him after and he said the ski felt faster and turned better. Thanks for the advice it looks like it made a difference.