Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Crossover boat

vegar

• Baller
So.. We got a small waterski/wakeboard club. About 120 members. No one competes in high level tournaments. The problem: we can only afford 1 boat and got 50/50 water skiers/wakeboarders.. Today the water skiers are pretty happy since we got a 2010 ski nautique 200 closed bow. But wakeboarders dont jump of joy (haha?) so can it be done? I there a boat for us out there and which do you recommend? Price is also high priority.. Any thoughts are welcome.

• Baller

A Mastercraft X7 might do the trick. It is basically a PS 197 with a tower and ballast built in. It won't have the same wake as a true wakeboard boat but if the wakeboarders aren't tournament level wakeboarders it should do fine and the ski wakes are good. They tend to be pricey though.

The Malibu Response LXI with a wedge and a tower would be a good combo boat also. They tend to be a little less expensive than the MC.

• Baller

@MS i know. But as stated it's not possible. And I'm all for it @Horton. It's a pretty easy target when moving so slow as they do.

@Chef23 we are looking into the Malibu. Anyone with experience from the Sport Nautique 200? Rumors say its the only crossover that actually can be used in higher level slalom competitions?

• Baller

Stay away from any vdrive for the skiers sake.. Im sure the sport 200 is a decent ski boat but its still a vdrive!

X7 would make the wakeboarders happier and imo simply because its marketed as a wake boat, yet still a 3 event ski boat.

• Baller
I skied a sport nautique 200 last year in the slalom course. It is not a competition ski boat. It is probably a good compromise for a dad who wants to ski recreationally with kids who like to wakeboard on public waters. The wake is wide and pretty hard compared to what is out there. My opinion only. Speed was 34 and 36 15 off and 22 off did not go any shorter.

• Baller
The newer lxi Malibu response. I ski behind one some. It has a nice slalom wake. Drop the wedge down it has pretty big wake. I've been told the newer ones have a little bigger wake than older one.

• Baller
I haven't wakeboarded in years, but I've been told the new wakeboard boats throw such a big wake that it has become intimidating for most kids. I think the X7 or the TXi would be the best bet for everyone - including the majority of wakeboarders. I ski behind a TXi and I will confirm Scot's take on it. It rocks! I'm at the dreaded 22' off and I never think about the wake.

• Baller
Malibu TXi or LXi with a wedge and tower. Come up with an easy option (such as a fat seat) to put extra weight in the boat for the boarders and everyone should be happy.

• Baller
DO NOT GET A V-drive!! I have a Malibu with a wedge and when it is down the wake is huge! I have even been able to surf it. It is truly the best of both worlds great slalom wakes and good enough boarder wakes (for most except maybe the high level knuckle dragers!)

"Do Better..."

• Baller
While many Vdrives are completely "unslalomable" A sunscape VTX or wakesetter VTX on the diamond hull is acceptable. I used to routinely ski a 2004 sunscape LSV which is a foot longer and heavier than the vtx and ran it into 32. Was not ideal obviously but the VTX skis even better. If the mix is right in terms of wakeboarders and skiers, I wouldn't write it completely off.

• Baller
I skied the 200 v last year. I skied into 35 at 34 mph. Wakes were very skiable but not same quality as a tournament specific boat. The biggest downside was the drivability. If your pulling skiers through a course you will struggle to keep the boat in a straight line.

• Baller
The 200v needs about 40-50 pounds added to the bow, then it's tracking and wake are much better. I drove a skier through 39 1/2 off with it and it was fine. Without the tower of course. He said it felt about like a MC197. For me, at 22 off the wake firmness was about equal to a MC197. But that's a lot harder than our 200OB. Everything is a trade off. At 32 off it seemed fine to me.