Invasive Species

rodltg2

• Baller

This weekend I decided to beat the heat and leave Sacramento and head up to Tahoe. I didn't think my boat would fair so well on Lake Tahoe so I chose to go to Donner Lake. ( I was still a bit nervous though!). They had watercraft inpsections going on for the Quagga Mussels and other invasive species. Of coursed passed with flying colors, but it got me wondering. Have these things gotten into any ski lakes? I imagine that would really suck!

Anyhow, here are some pics of the family. Boat does have other uses than a slalom tractor! Btw it handled the big lake chop well. Found a nice little cove to relax in .

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/IMG_0528.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/IMG_0530.jpg

• Baller

Milfoil (an invasive plant for those blessed to not know!) is our big invasive species problem.

We have a lot of trouble managing it because we ski on a state park that is right near a town well, and there are a ton of different political interests along with, quite frankly, a good supply of wackos.

• Baller
Texas Parks and Wildlife sent out a notice with boat registrations this year warning of Zebra Mussels in Lake Texoma. Lot's of public lakes around Houston have hydrila. Seems only a mater of time before one ski lake gets infested, then the promo boats will do the rest.

• Baller

I think that some of the sites in the Midwest have Zebra Mussels.

Went back to my childhood lake after about 15 years and it was infested with zebra mussels. Very sad. No way to walk in the water barefoot now without getting your feet sliced up. Its like walking on razors.

• Baller
The biggest invasive species problem we have in Idaho is the jet skiers. Fortunately our fish and game department is considering a daily bag limit of 3 as the primary means of control, and they are even weighing the merits of lead shot vs steel shot. (Aggressive, pro-active management is about the only way to address an invasive species.)

we have zebra mussels in our ski lake and in most reservoirs around here- they're not too much of a problem but you do have to watch your feet a little on the beech and you have to watch your hands on the PVC pipes when you pull up the course. They make the water very clear which the fishermen don't like.

• Baller

Any time you go from a lake infested with zebra or weeds, you should run a mixture of bleach and water through your engine. Wash the trailer good and remove any weeds hanging from it.

We basically only let clean private lake boats in our lake, as do the other lake owners in our area. Easier to keep out than get rid of them later.

we had some milfoil issues a few years back. we keep a pretty close eye on outside boats now. our sister site has a policy of flushing and washing down all boats before letting them in regardless of how clean they look.