HO Syndicate S2 Review

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/S2.jpg

The 2012 S2 is the second ski from the HO Syndicate product line in the “Speed” or S range. The S2 was shaped by a five time world champion , Bob LaPoint, with input from his brother, Kris LaPoint, as well as the HO Syndicate pro team.

Every high end ski can be described as performing better when the skier does all the right things. Some skis challenge the skier to be very technical, and some skis allow the easier to do all the right things. The S2 forgives sloppy skiing, but more importantly, the S2 makes it easier to do the right things.

From the Second Wake to the ball

The S2 maintains angle off the second wake and draws a path wide of and in front of the ball as consistently as any ski ever made. As with any ski, staying connected to the boat on the way out to the ball line will result in additional width, but if you struggle with this skill, the S2 will still get you surprisingly wide.

More than any ski that I can recall, the S2 rides with a constant attitude on the water. Forward and backward weight shifts by the skier seem to be muted. To say this another way, the S2 is extremely stable in the pre-turn. This attribute makes it easier for the skier to think about what he/she is doing.

From the ball to the Second wake

Unless pushed with excessive aggression, the S2 will exit the ball with the tip down and head across course without any fuss. Should the skier apply extra lean on the way to the wakes, the S2 will deliver a surprising burst of speed.

Off Side Turn

The S2 is not radical or dramatic at Off Side turn, but you can depend on it. Just about every time you turn your Off Side, you will exit in control and with ample angle. Dependable may not sound sexy, but if you want a new personal best, you want a ski that turns your Off Side dependably.

With stock settings, the S2 never feels like the tail is sliding. Instead, the whole ski carves back toward the centerline. The result is a turn that ends further inside the ball line and allows for the skier to put the power down right behind the boat.http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/S2-2.jpghttp://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/S2-2-2.jpg

On Side Turn

As much or more than any other ski on the market, the On Side turns on the S2 are nearly symmetrical to the Off Side. The ski’s longitudinal stability means that the ski naturally rides with the tip down allowing for a carving On Side turn. The ski can be forced to make abrupt changes in direction, but if the skier is patient, the S2 will draw a tight arc out of On Side and will carry speed back to the center line.

Quirks and Notes

I rode the ski with the DFT back further than stock for a while. On Side turns were sharper, but the whole skiing experience was not as smooth. My final fin numbers were roughly stock but I skied best with the bindings at 29 3/8” for the 67.5” ski.

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/stories/S2-8.jpg

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_

Was surprised to see boots back from stock that far. Granted mine is the 66.5 but forward of stock seemed better. I may be to far but I went with what several other suggested and it worked. Did try back from stock and all was not good, bad in fact. What made back better for you vs stock or forward?

I totally agree with the review. I am becoming a calmer skier because of the S2. To not crank turns and relying on the ski to carve back to the wake, has not been easy for me. I've been the driver of the skies I've been on in the past. Relying and trusting the design of this ski to do most of the work that far off the ball has been a slow trust. To me the potential is unreal. When it does happen it's fantastic. I'm a ball off my typical practice score (way less skiing then last yr or yr before) but totally feel like I've just tapped what it can do. I'll add that my back has never been better, from the pull-up out of the water (wider is better) to the lack of hits off the ball. That alone was worth the price tag.

• Administrators

@JAS a little on some skis but not as much as the S2.

I suspect that the stock # a little far forward and so I am just a little back of how I would spec stock.

(yes - I know that BLP and KLP have forgotten more that I will ever know. No disrespect!)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I've been on a 66.25" S2 since November 2011, and initially set up just forward of stock binding position. Ski was great, and took me to new practice and tournament PB's (1@ 28off). After a conversation with Karina at the Australian Open (in which she said that HO's tend to work a little better with bindings back), I moved my binding back one hole and again I set more PB's.(4 @ 28off) I have been contemplating moving forward again, once I start skiing in September to see if it makes any difference, but I do know with my technique & at my level the ski works well at 29 3/8" with a reflex & toe loop.

• Baller
@Horton How do you think it compares to some of the other skis youve been on recently? Ie A2 & Vice/strada? I just bought the vice you demod off Ron... On an A1 currently and love/hate it not sure In a strong enough skier for it but its helped me improve quite a bit...

• Administrators

@Stevie Boy

I think I ski a higher average score on the S2. It is easier to ski on. Maybe if I was technically better or more fit I might go to the A2. My single high score on the A2 last year was higher but my average was lower.

Drop a dime in the can

Mr. Horton, I'm confessing to lurking for some time but finally signed up today. Great site!

Currently on an 08 Prophecy but feel like I get (excessively?) punished when I'm less than technically sound (happens a lot). Run 22'off with regularity at 34mph and have seen 5 at 28' (with higher aspirations for sure). I love the high performance of the Prophecy when I'm good, and would like to keep that performance, but would like something a lot more forgiving. Would you call the S2 a good choice with that idea in mind and at my level?

Many thanks!

• Administrators
Yes for sure. I love that old Prophecy your are on but in the long run it might be time to put it on the wall. It is a fun ski but it is a radical design and is very hard to ski smooth on. The S2 is the other end of the spectrum.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I've been hit again with the honeymoon effect. Sad thing is we tried this ski out for 4 weeks before we bought it. Stock settings didn't work. Shallowed up the depth to try to get the ski to turn, as well as moving dft to .750 from .730. Tried all depths from 2.475 to 2.51. Moved the bindings as far forward and back as can be. Looks like I have a skier who just can't turn a ski period. However, she can turn the crap out of an old Jobe. But consistency is a concern with the Jobe. I am beginning to believe that maybe the S2 may be above her level. She has tried a Senate C which didn't work too well either. Any thoughts?

• Baller_
@skimech. I found the S2 to be different enough from a traditional shaped ski that it requires a different mindset to ski on it. If she is a crank the ski kind of skier, I think the S2 simply doesn't do as well with that. It's a carver. I can't crank on it at the turn with my back foot like all the other skies I rode. What JTH said. Back to stock with the fin but I would add boots 1/8-1/4 forward of stock. and think about skiing calm and let it do all the work from the release to the hookup. I don't think the ski is much above anyones level.

• Baller
I've been on an S2 for about 3 weeks and will probably switch from my Strada. Horton is right about being calm on the ski. Try smooth patient turns. In my opinion the S2 hates being cranked into and off the ball. I've had some of the best sets of my life on this ski probably because the S2 is so easy to get wide.

• Baller
Here's to hoping you are right Horton. The only thing I can conclude is that every ski we have demoed or tested has been late fall or early spring with much cooler water temps, we are now getting some 100 degree days so the water is heating up fast so the water must be getting slower changing the way the ski rides. That being said, I am going to have to figure a better setup for the warmer water.

• Baller
In G2 she was able to run a couple at 32 off/32mph. She grew alot this winter and was skiing her 34mph/15 off passes when she was demoing the S2. After I bought it, she has been struggling with 32mph/15off. She ran 2 and 4 at 34mph/15off in tourny this pass weekend. I am going to start another thread about ski design. Hopefully, alot of the ballers will because it looks like I don't know shi...... about skis.

• Administrators
At that size and skiing level it is really hard. I would again say go to stock and work on her skiing. Unless the ski is the wrong size, at 32 mph / 28 off fin setting and ski design are not crazy critical. All if the top skis today are not super far apart. Has she skied on other current high end skis? ... Yea lets take this to another thread.

Drop a dime in the can

Hey all. I am Looking for a new stick. I put a set of enzo's on my V and didnt like them at all and had a fit and tossed my ski up on the platform in discuss. My ski buddy, wouldnt let me on the boat and instead threw his 2011 prophecy in the water and told me to suck it up. I did, and fell in deep like with the prophecy. Granted there is one on the boat already, and consider I am a moderately aggressive freerider with some course time in my immediate future, the S2/A2 are considerations, any other suggestions? Great thread!

• Baller_
So far I have taken 3 sets on the S2 after not skiing for over a week due to a pulled calf. I must say the ski feels real stable and was very easy to pick up and ski on. 1st set I ran right down the line without any issues and it felt like I have been on the ski for awhile. The carry out off the 2nd wake is awesome. I am set up at stock with the wing at 8. The ski felt slow yesterday but today it felt a bit quicker. Its probably due to not skiing. My first thought was that it felt like the Mid that I skied on last summer. So far it feels stable, smooth and good carry off the wakes to the ball. Wish was here skiing today and he says I may want to move the binding forward. I will try that on my next set. It is one of those skis that you can hop on and ski with a good stable feeling.

• Administrators

One last thing. HO calls the one I rode a 67.5. It is really a full 68. at 190 it was almost too big. I would say skiers should round down when looking at an S2.

When I say "full 68" that is kind of BS. what I mean is it is what I would expect from a 68. As I have said a million times, ski length is only a number for marketing. If you had to take a way and inch or two from the tip of your ski it will still ski the same.... Width at the bindings and or front binding position means a lot more.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton interesting about ski size, width, etc, thanks! What is the difference in shape of the different sizes? miniscule or closer to that 1" size difference?

Also, did you feel the same way about the A2 as you do the S2?

• Baller
I'm currently demoing both a 66.5 and a 67.5 with H2Osmosis and at the Big Dawg I had an interesting conversation with Seth Stisher. Seth told me that in his opinion the skis were significantly different skis due to the increased width of the 67.5. I did an informal measurement and the 67.5 is about 3/16 wider than the 66.5. So far the 66.5 feels plenty large for someone that is 188 and 6' 2".

• Baller
I'm 230 and riding a 67.5 reflex w/ rtp. 60 degree water, binding 1/8 forward and fin stock. Skis great! I tried binding back but didn't work for me. Obviously many factors but skier size may significantly contribute

• Baller

I skied two sets on a 67.5 S2 this morning and skied within a 1/2 buoy of my practice PB in my first set. I liked the way it skis it seems to run as well as my 68.75" A1 andi think it turns sharper. I had a tendency to overturn it at 1 ball at my toughest pass. I am 6' and 210 pounds.

I like the ski and am going to ski two more sets on it tomorrow. I can't take the one I skied on with me so I can go home and ski a couple of sets on my A1 and make a decision.

• Baller
@MS. 3 sets already. Your wife told me yesterday you haven't even skied on it yet. When I walked on the plane yesterday I said, "been skiing lately." The look on her face was, "who's this creeper." But I don't forget the BOS'ers I work with or their wives. I'm really liking my S2.

• Baller
Wing? What's that? I have no idea. Actually, it's my buddy's ski, so I haven't touched the fin setting, but I've been skiing on it for a month. Just sold my other ski, so my new S2 will be here any day.