Thinking about when things go well

crashman

guys- thanks for taking me under your wings and helping me with my slalom journey. In the last 2 weeks I've made a lot of progress thanks to many of your suggestions. The other night I bumped the speed up by a mph from my previous PB and ran the pass 4 more times. After all the fist pumping and excitement it occurred to me that when I screw up I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm doing wrong, but maybe I should be thinking "ok why did that pass go so well- how did I get from 4 to 5 so cleanly" instead of just being happy that it went well.

How much time do you advanced skiers spend thinking about what is going well with your skiing vs what is going wrong?

• Baller

Next to the top folks in our sport, I don't think I could call myself "advanced," but I have been at this for a long time, so I'll answer you question:

I spend a lot of time thinking about what I am doing well. The main reasons is: If I stop thinking about that, I'll lose it!

I want to constantly reinforce the things that are working.

As far as things I'm NOT doing the way I want, I try to keep the list real short: Typically one thing at the gate and one thing for the rest of the way. At the moment I happen to be on:

Gate: Make sure I completely finish my turn-in before loading the line so that I get the proper angle through the gate.

In course: Late release of the handle and then have the "extend and get back to the handle going the other way" be one continuous smooth movement.

Throughout the season I'll explore other aspects that feel like weaknesses, but I'll always think a lot about what I'm doing that IS working.