Managing a limited resource

webbdawg99

• Baller

This goes out to those of you out there skiing in a club on private water. How does your club manage use of the club boat and site for its members?

There are 2 different issues that my club is facing regarding this topic. First, some skiers travel a long distance to come practice at the site. For this reason, they want to avoid crowded times on the water to reduce the total time invested.....especially late in the season when the sun sets much earlier. During the late season, its not unusual to have members drive 2 hours round trip only to show up at the lake and get just one set before the sun goes down. Obviously, this is less than ideal for anyone wanting to ski and get better. Second, we have members that don't have steady ski partners and are looking to get a pull at the site. These members sometimes drive down to the site, only to sit there for hours in the hopes that someone will show up to pull them. Very often, they go home frustrated and dry.

So as you can see, we have two very different points of view on the subject. One group wants to avoid the lake when occupied by other members, and the other group wants to be there when there are other members present.

We've had lots of very intense discussions on how to resolve this issue and have yet to find the answer. So what is working for you and your club?

I dont know how big the lake is. Is it a real natural lake or a ski lake? if its a ski lake with only room for a course then i assume everyone already hustles to get their set done. If its a natural lake run more boats and people should free ski. Those on the course should be a little tolerant of some waves.

Parsons girlfriend saw our club free skiing by the course while others were waiting for the course. I said once the major wake passes its not too bad. Yes there are some bumps and its too bad but its a business and everyone wants to ski too.

Remove the balls on the course. That way less people fall and people wont get angry about missing a buoy. Yes you want to get better at the course but the question i ask myself is do i want to ski through a couple waves or do i want to wait in line whe everyone gets the best possible run. Ill ski through some rough water everytime i hate waiting more than 10min. Perhaps the club could drop the price 15% to make up for the lack of a course rougher water and less higher volume.

...raise the price. 1900 unlimited skiing behind a skiboat less the cost of gas? raise your price and give a good reason why. I paid 1800 cash to ski 100 times behind a 150 horse suzuki and i get 4 passes not 6 raise your price and dig another lake.

• Baller

OB,

You are a cheapski. $1,900 annual, current boat, unlimited? That is a crazy good deal.

To the question, best answer is the best compromise is the solution where all parties are equally unhappy. Some want their private lake, only for them when they are able to show up. Some what a social gathering with like minded skiers. Some just need someone who knows to boat goes down the middle to drive. Very divergent needs.

Where I used to ski it was first come first serve, be ready when your up and over twice the price of yours. They had gas there (big tank, non-road use) and everyone had to buy tickets for gas, dont remember exact price but very reasonable. One ticket per set. All in all seemed to work out well. But a very good group. People exchanged numbers and fell in with people in similar schedules for driving and so forth. Big kids.

There were people now and again who felt thier issue was more important than someone else. They had to drive far, they have kids, they have a short window from work. Everyone should accomodate thier issue. Point is everyone has something important to them, so that if they could ski and flee on a whim thier life would be better. But its choices we all make in life. Don't work so much, or get a different job, move close to or on a lake, the family schedule so not only all kids stuff w/no adult stuff. I drive far (2hrs), work too much so only ski weekends. Tried to ski during the week but didnt like the trade-offs (less work so less $, less time with wife), my choice.

Its your sandbox. From what's on BOS seems a bit of your heart and soul. YOU work hard to make it the best experience it can be. And they BITCH. F'm, they can find somewhere else to ski or follow your (seemingly) very reasonable and equitable rules. Or move, or work less, or.... thier choice. First come, first serve like you have it is the best solution I have seen for a club situation. Scheduling has lots of issues, more maintenance and significantly less flexibility.

You put the ski site together, make it go, limited help from whiny, demanding membership and put together a new Pro/AM tournament. Guys like you will keep the sport alive. Youve erned having your sandbox your way.

Didn't mean to have a rant, but hey, just about to leave work. Really wanted to ski today but wont, worked instead and heading home to the wife. My choice, nobody needs to (or should) get out of my way so I can snag a set.

• Baller

Actually, Taelan has a great solution. Except that you don't need to dig another lake, just put in a breakwater. Unless your club is a custom built man made lake, I bet you could cordon off 150' of width with a breakwater and have a better slalom site plus an area for tricks, wakeboarding and family skiing.

Every site I have skied at has a mix of skiers. I hate sites where the stopwatch goes on for exactly 15 minutes when I am tricking. Maybe too many of the people bagging on Taelan are the same people who hassle me for going a couple minutes over tricking. There is more to life than slalom buoy count. And I refuse to lurk only if I'm not totally slalom centric.

I do hate tubing however... Ride a kneeboard instead! Or double kneeboard. Or slalom if you must.

Eric

PS @Taelan I did dig another lake. Can't keep it busy enough. It's for sale.

@OB your club sounds awesome. I can't imagine how nice it would be to have a club with a boat and also have hours with a driver. That sounds like the perfect setup. I've often thought my club (BYOB) could use a simple facebook page on days when I wanted to go out but not sure anybody else would be out there- a simple informal shout out "anybody going to be out at the club after work" "hey I'm headed to the club would be glad to give pulls" or whatever. Fortunately I've found another guy to ski with who shares my level of addiction.

Eleeski id be happy to pay a 20% premium to ski at a club you own and props to you for being a man and digging another lake. Id love to buy it but im afraid i dont teach enough students. Maybe that girl met last week who thinks about skiing all day has some rich parents and a desire to live in the states.

Ob under normal circumstances id apologize to you but its not necessary. I read webbdawgs original post and then immediately commented. Congratulations on hosting a tournament but i dont feel there is a need for me to keep track of who skis where or what their club setup is. Such information us useless to me and disgarded since i find it exceedeingly unlikely i will visit any of them . And after taking a shower in your haterade find it impossible for me to ever ski in the atlanta area.

The way i framed the original issue was do you want to ski a course or wait in line? I choose ski.

• Baller
since i find it exceedeingly unlikely i will visit any of them after taking a shower in your haterade find it impossible for me to ever ski in the atlanta area.

@ Taelan28...Burning bridges is usually a bad idea, except when trying to achieve certain strategic objectives in a land war. You never know when you might need a pull in the ATL one day! That said, here is my impression having lurked on this board long before I got a handle and began posting. @OB is probably not the type of dude who is offended by things posted on an internet forum...he is not waiting for you to apologize. Additionally, his passion for the sport and desire to share with others is so great that if you were to make the trek from the ROK to Atlanta one day, I'm sure he'd offer you a pull. I bet a bunch of guys down there would love to meet you.

@Taelan28 I think the problem is that you try to answer a question when you have no clue on the answer. When someone asks a question they're looking for an answer from someone with experience, not some random thought from someone that has no clue about what they are talking about. Also, you don't think before you type, you have insulted many ballers multiple times. I think there is a good reason you have 188 dislikes and 10 off topics. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think your posts annoy a large number of the active members on this site.

Id like to do thr course more. My time is plentiful enough but my resources are limited. I cant justify spending 20% of my annual income to be frustrated so i focus more on free skiing. Waiting for hours just to run the course is your priority and since its your club and lake then keep it that way. Yes things are different here. People are less athletically inclined so no one except the people who own the club can do better than 22 off. Ive never been to a club in the us and i dont think i want to.

Bry had a solid answer. He put into words a lot of what i assumed was in my original recommendations.

• Baller

@OB Despite the efforts of judges in the south and SCR, tricking is not dead. Internationally it is a premiere event. And I am sincerely bitter that NONE of the pro tournament sponsors in the USA had tricks during the time I was in Open tricks. Did you offer tricks?

Note that I am a senior trick judge. I have enough cameras and experience to run tricks. Anyone is welcome to contact me if you need help offering tricks. Standing offer!

Taelan's comment was a suggestion based on his lake and could be made to work. The first post did not identify OB's site (the site is not a custom dug site @ 1620'? - that's not optimal and certainly not surveyable from the portion of the video that I did watch). Taelan's passion is for skiing, it hasn't developed into tunnel vision focus on buoy count. I respect his passion even if it doesn't fall into my specific experiences. The hostility aimed at his green perspective is discouraging - we need to develop and encourage skiers.

Regarding the original question, the club will die if the site becomes too exclusive. It is better to have skiers hungry for more skiing than skiing too many rides in a lonely lake. That's the experience of losing almost all of my members speaking.

I guess that means I disagree with @Taelan28?

Eric

I think the problem is that you try to answer a question when you have no clue on the answer. When someone asks a question they're looking for an answer from someone with experience, not some random thought from someone that has no clue about what they are talking about.

@travnews Webbdawg said this

This goes out to those of you out there skiing in a club on private water. How does your club manage use of the club boat and site for its members?
and this

So what is working for you and your club?
And I have a membership at a ski club as well as visited several others. Therefore qualifying me to answer the question. Is this really the "think before you type" stuff you're talking about? Keep throwing stones dude. I've said it at least three times before, I know what I say and I mean it.

Eleeski was right that I gave the answer based on my experience and I answered the question accordingly. There have been no references in my posts to anyones idea being stupid and I'd wager that there have never been. Alas he said the idea was stupid and gave some decent reasons why. Where he crossed the line refering to me as a drug user as an explanation for my answers--a personal attack. I know what I say and I know what I mean. Most of the time I dont need to rewrite it and and sometimes I do (see the marcus brown topic). Othertimes its taken out of context and blown up into something stupid (See topic on AM skis).

But I ALWAYS get hated on. Sure I see why you people think I deserve it, but the relentless belittling, devaluation and disregarding of what I say is unexcusable. "Oh you're young yet" "Oh you dont know what you're talking about" "You're smoking crack" "Admitting you dont know what you're talking about is the best thing you could have said"

I pass on taking advice from Nick Parsons for very selfless reasons that were clearly stated and you guys still question my intelligence, like there's something wrong with me not valuing a pro skier's advice, and putting the Koreans' desire to get tips and personal coaching before mine Whats going on here?

Can someone please tell me what happened with this post that it gets disliked five times and blocked?

Remove the balls on the course. That way less people fall and people wont get angry about missing a buoy. Yes you want to get better at the course but the question i ask myself is do i want to ski through a couple waves or do i want to wait in line whe everyone gets the best possible run. Ill ski through some rough water everytime i hate waiting more than 10min. Perhaps the club could drop the price 15% to make up for the lack of a course rougher water and less higher volume.

@OB

I hope my direct points with you weren't taken as hatred

You mean these direct points at me?

If you think it takes digging another lake or even one lake to be a man, you truly have your priorities in the wrong place.

Are you still high????

You don't have much experience. How old are you? Hundred of hours in 10 different clubs and you are still out of touch and or smokin' some good stuff over there in the land of not quite right. I lived there, I know....

Yes you obviously know.

What kind of crack are you smokin???? You don't know squat about this sport...go to lurker status as @travnews suggested.

you're so far behind the "I get it game" you should just quit now. No buoys, no skiing

...you do understand how ridiculous those answers are don't you?

You made a lot of points that cleared up the situation and made it more apparent to me, but then you attach these things to the end and they are exceedingly acidic, abrasive and insulting. When I further explained what my local and financial situation was (at my club like WebbDawg originally asked) you understood, and again all these attacks are completely unecessary. Also, when you seed those personal attacks and use the word "you" attention is drawn away from your points and toward the unpleasant language.

Onside is trying to keep a cool head and mediate but honestly man, you couldnt fly me over to Atlanta to give me a free pull. I wouldnt accept. You're not the kind guy I'd want to be around and Im sure the feeling is mutual.

I saw this on youtube last night. David Letterman makes an outrageous statement about the bounty scandal. Rome wants to call him stupid, but he holds back. I suggest you watch it and go buy youself a copy of "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie and read the first chapter and only the first chapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwfm77fOdI

• Baller

@OB what is your guest policy? I was a member of a lake with a similar setup. I would ski in the early morning when no one was out there. I would bring my friend, who was not an official member, so I would have a driver.

@thager there's a part of me that misses TW LOL!

Based on the initial post the problem was that not everyone was skiing and those that didnt just wanted to get on the water. I also assumed that those in charge have already made the club as efficient as possible with the one boat one course set up. My suggestions were based on the assumption that people valued being on the water more than being on a course or nothing. Presuming ob and travnews were intelligent and could understand the thought process i lightely touched on these assumptions with "do you want to ski or wait in line" ob wpuld rather wait in line a few hours for his turn. I dont have the patience. Again my suggestions were based on what i have seen at the ski clubs in korea how webbdawg posed the question and that obs club was already being run as efficiently as possible with one boat and one course.

I guess thats the irony of all this. I assumed ob was smart from the begining

and he assumes im stupid without looking into why my suggestions the way they are Dude if i ever see that cat by some cataclysmic change i will happily hang up my ski and do something else with my time.

When i say dig another lake its because i figure else you gonna do? youre already as efficient as possible and no one wants to remove buoys.

Further im aware that members might be angry if there were no buoys. To which i respond that almost everysingle change facebook has made over the last 6 years specifically the news feed were met with raging hostility but after altwo weeks people settled down and 4 weeks later people couldnt live without the feature. Again i assume most people espwcially ones who travel an hour would rather free ski than not ski at all.

Finally i was able to put down my crack pipe for a few minutes to spell it out for you guys

then they need to provide information. I look it as a raw production issue. How many people can physically ski on that lake in 1 hours time. Its not a matter of scheduling its a matter of speed and how fast that boat can go back and forth 6 times and change out the skiers. What else am i missin? do i need to know the state bird and water temperature at 6 oclock as well as the trees surrpunding the lake? hes got one boat already going as efficiently as possible and too many people that wqnt to ski. If there is something im missing here spell it out for me otherwise i believe i have all the knowledge i need to offer a solution. But not the one the awner wants to select which is fine.

Youre off topic. How does your ski club manage the use of its boat and site for its members. Remember the issue is that not everyone is getting a chance to ski on the course. Its not about hpw passionately the members feel about running buoys. Its about everyone running buoys (according to ob) or people just getting in the water (my interpretation based on the initial post). That needs to sink in then you can think about your answers. Remember now stay on topic.

• Baller_

I think the bottom line to the delima at hand is how to better communicate with the members to facilitate everyone's skiing needs better. Social media may be the answer, try and get a daily pipeline of information such as who what and when linked up with Social media such as facebook, twitter or linked- in or all of the above. I Talked to Michael McCormick over the weekend on a very similar situation and he is pursuing the social media route to better fill the gaps at both the cable lakes and the ski lake.

Eric needs real professional help for his denial complex! Eric Tricks are Dead! ;)

• Baller
How about setting up a webcam at the dock. That way anyone can log on and see the level of activity, and the weather conditions. That won't necessarily help the people who are 2 hours away, as conditions may change in that timeframe, but people who are closer can monitor the activity and run down for a set when conditions are right.

• Baller
I'd suggest a multi-device program/app like cozi which will allow people to set, cancel, and evaluate who will be at the lake when. It's simple to use and the "schedule" provides great information in a simple way and is almost easier to use by smartphone rather than needing a computer. Allows someone to check the line at the dock (or lack thereof) when hopping in the car to head to the lake. We don't have the need for it at our lake but I adopted it when on vacation with like 12 of our family and it was simple to track where everyone was, when meeting back up, locations, etc. Nuclear family has now adopted and run all family activities through it given its simplicity. Highly recommended.

• Baller
@OB Its not that we are trying to avoid other members. The frustration is knowing that if we'd come the night before, or 2 hours earlier, or 2 hours later, we could've skiied just as much in half the time. I'm a tournament skier and am constantly trying to chase those orange balls. However, it is not my life, although I wish it could be. Until I can figure out a way for skiing to pay my mortgage, it will never be my life. The whole idea is to be courteous of EVERYONE's time. As we all know, time is the most limited resource we have.

• Baller

Waterskiing is far more than running buoys, and I think the biggest disconnect or divide in this sport, and its biggest detriment has been the advent of private sites.

Ya, I am a member at a private site now, but for 20+ years I was 100% a public water skier (with a slalom course for maybe 1/2 that) & my shift is largly because I no longer have the ability to manage a boat & the closest place to go skiing is a private lake.

Marcus Brown had a great blog about freeskiing earlier this year, if anyone hasn't read it, do.

Buoy chasers need to get their heads out of their Arses IMO, as MOST of the waterskiers out there have rarely if ever run the course. This sport will be dead if we continue to progress to more a more elitest state. Some of its inevitable with government intervention, population growth and fuel prices, which to me means we have to do more to "socialize" our sport.

If you want time to yourself, when nobody's around dig or buy your own lake, to me those are the skiers nobody should pander to; anti-social and self-centred skiers will only hurt our sport. JMO

• Baller

It is always a delma at any lake. We have added a few members at our lake this year and have heard a few suggestions about setting up a Google system to let people know when you are going to be there so to avoid crowded times. People will always show up on their schedule. The last few years Sat/Sun afternoon is crowded because everyone shows up at 1:00 - 3:00 in the afternoon. These are the people that are worried about adding new members to cover costs. During the week nights are mostly uncrowded. This past Tuesday evening my wife and I were out, no one else there and glass flat water. I have told multiple people that we always ski Tues/Thurs evenings at about 5:00 to dark and others are welcome to call us about a pull. Hardly anyone takes us up on it.

I have found there are people that will figure it out and change there schedule to fit their needs and there are people that will complain when it doesn't work for their schedule, but never change. It is always tough to please everyone, so just make it fair and let people decide what works best for them.

Kevin

• Baller_

@ob- I had a fixed time slot for years (Tues. afternoons) and it worked well as long as our group was involved and available. But over time our core group diminished, and we've moved to the "open" type of lake policy which is a lot more flexible for everyone. I've just learned to not head for the lake if I'm in a "hurry" to ski, because those times (like late afternoon/sunset) can be busy and nobody wants to be around a grumpy skier.....

@eleeski - I'll be glad to help with next year's "Atlanta Pro-Am Trickfest".......

• Baller
@Killer You are absolutely right. Waterskiing is far more than running buoys for 99% of the waterskiing universe. I skied on public water for my entire life until just a few years ago. I pay a premium to have access to a place where we don't have to fight with the general public for good conditions. As @OB has mentioned before, once you start chasing buoys, you either get hooked or you don't. But having an "elite" group of skiers is anything but a detriment to our sport. As a matter of fact, its this group of people that put on all the tournaments, spend all the money, support the grassroots campaigns, establish sites like ballofspray, etc etc. Without this group that is so passionate about skiing, it would hardly exist at all. This post was never about the general public that can't run the course. This is about a PRIVATE CLUB where people pay a premium for pristine conditions and tournament-ready boats. Maybe you should go ahead and hop on a wakeboard. I hear all the cool kids are doing it.

• Baller

@webdawg, you missed the point entirely and you firing off ignorant comments like me picking up wakeboarding help nobody in this sport, yourself included. You have become no better than our friend Taelan in this regard.

That is the same elitist attitude that has/is making tournament skiing a niche activity, enjoyed by a limited few & that is decreasin in numbers exponentially yer over year.

If you enjoy skiing at a nice site youd rehink your persoective and goals in waterskiing. The averag age at my club is likely inthe 50s. Im 32 and other than a handful of kids who come with their parents Im the youngest member.. Do the math on that. Im sure there are tou ger clubs out there but the aging demographic of skiing is a universal fact.

The more hidden and private skiing is, the harder it becomes to ski.

Most of the pros in Florida ski on public lakes, including many of the ski schools...

• Baller
Most of the pros in Florida ski on public lake because there are HUNDREDS of lakes in Florida. Where I'm from, there are TWO main public lakes that are quickly accessible. Therefore, traffic on those lakes is not even close to the same as traffic on Florida lakes. As a matter of fact, last time I checked, Lake Lanier (one of the 2 lakes I'm referring to) is the busiest lake in the WORLD! The only way to get quality ski time at a place like that is either when the sun comes up or when the sun goes down. This post was about managing a private site. All you did was tell us buoy chasers to get our heads out of our arses. Thanks for the added value to the conversation.

• Baller

@Webdawg. I posted quite clearly originally that I am a member of a club; I AM a buoy chaser & My avatar is of me rounding a buoy...

I never mentioned anyone or any club in my post did I? You need to back up, no reason to get offended, what I state is simply the cold hard truth.

I am referring to managing a club, and its my opinion that anything that contributes to a more elite, private, anti-social atmosphere should be avoided at ALL costs.

Edit: in reference to Wakeboarding, theres a hell of a lot most skiers need to recognize and embrace about wakeboarding. Te biggest reason its popular is because its social...

• Baller

There are a couple (2) of interesting views in this thread. I would love to ski on a public lake as long as I didn't have to tolerate the general public. hhuuummm

I have been to Lake Lanier 1 time in my life..I don't think I've ever seen so many boats in one spot.

• Baller
I'll politely disagree. The reason why its popular is because its a lot easier to learn and its spectator friendly....and sure there's a social aspect to it as well. It seemed that you were lumping all tournament type skiers into an elitest group that is anti-social and discourages the growth of our sport. You just couldn't be more off base. Nothing excites me more than being out on the public water and seeing someone skiing. I've invested countless hours teaching novices to ski. Not only am I a member of Waterski Atlanta, I'm also a member of the Atlanta Waterski Club....the oldest club in the country that's still on public water. We hold grassroots tournaments, an open night for ANYONE to come get a pull behind our mastercraft, shephard spinal "learn to ski" clinics, junior development days, the list goes on and on. I spend several hours every week during the summer helping teach people to ski. The BIGGEST proponents of our sport are the ones that are the most passionate about it. I'm sure there are a few bad apples out there that are only concerned about their own buoy count.....but you cast quite a broad net that I don't believe to be very accurate. What are you and your club doing to help grow the sport?

• Baller

@webdawg I'm starting to think what I'm saying is becoming overly redundant now, like I'm walking on egg shells.. oh well, at least I got some people's attention... I'm sure there are many here that think skiing is fine because they can ski whenever they want on some amazing water, but the reality for the sport is the exact opposite. Did you read MB's post about freeskiing yet? I know he's been on this board today and to me, he has by far the best perspective on waterskiing than anyone. pretty qualified guy yes? http://marcusbrown.net/free-skier-trash

from your original post:

"One group wants to avoid the lake when occupied by other members, and the other group wants to be there when there are other members present."

the most astonishing thing to me, and I've seen it at ski schools many times before is where an unknown person shows up and ends up walking away because A) nobody talked with them & B) the regular skiers were too self-absorbed to help the newbie get out there.

Maybe I was taking sides on the 2 different groups you mention, obvious which side I took, and the reason is to try and grow the sport. This isn't about what YOU'VE done or what I'VE done, its about what WE can do. Hence my collective "buoy chasers", which I hope after my last post is more clear I'm a part of.

you wanted people's opinions on how to handle the ski club problem, and my opinion is be more open minded, social and accepting of people that just want to ski. It might mean somebody has to wait an extra 1/2 hour, and if they get in a tizzy because of it I'd rather see that person who drove so far hoping someone would be ablet o pull them, ski, then letting the selfish member(s) who don't like people to ski all by themselves..

I'm not going to dignify your question about what I do for the sport because its becoming personal, and that was NOT my intention at all. I'm sure I offended some people, but they are the people that are in skiing regardless of what I say, and maybe they need a little dose of reality/a wake up call... no pun intended.

we can argue about wakeboarding, I disagree in the broad sense that its easier; skiing is easier in many respects, its different, its cool and its social. Funny because skiing is all those too... different, cool and social. somehow we get away from the cool and social part which to me is the biggest problem. wakeboarding is 1 disipline of towed watersports, and really has carried the sport of waterskiing for the last while, even though it was the death of skiing as well; ironic. if wakeboarding goes down now, we all go down.

@shaneH, I hope the above post answered your question..

• Baller
@killer - No, it didn't answer anything. It's a reply about a topic that wasn't even presented. As you stated, the original topic was "One group wants to avoid the lake when occupied by other members, and the other group wants to be there when there are other members present." Yet, you're replying and chastising people about something else entirely.

• Baller

@shaneh so what is the "something else" I'm chastising people about?

did I not add a reponse to the question? you can disagree with it, as I'm sure many do, btut I'd rather hear your reasoning than trying to belittle me and my posts.

• Administrators

Everyone!

Take a deep breath and slow down. This site is a success because I simply do not allow users to get angry with each other. The point is to share good info and help each other. If you can not do that I can give you a URL to another site.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can