PP or Carb issues?

rodltg2

• Baller

I have a mechanical version of SGPP installed in my boat. I am having issues with the throttle to return all the way back to idle. I installed the return spring as suggested my perfect pass, but I had to set it really tight so that it would retrun back to idle. It worked okay but the driver has to keep pressure on the throttle lever or it will return. But now after more use, its giving me probelms again. After a pass, it will only return back to about 1500 rpms which is a problem. Ive been popping the engine hatch open and returning it by hand, but thats a PIA of course. If I keep tightening the spring, I will barely be able to push the throttle forward. So is there something else I can try? Maybe lube the mechanism?

Here is a pic of my engine, pre PP installed. I will have to get a pic with it installed later.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/IMAG0535.jpg

Sounds a bit like the cable is binding. Is the carby free when the cables disconnected?

Also on the topic of adding extra springs, it's always worth the extra effort to set them up so the pull in

opposite directions from opposite sides of the throttle shaft.

This will avoid un-necessary load & binding of the throttle shaft in the housing.

• Baller
I had a similar problem. I solved mine by adjusting the connection between PP and the end of the throttle cable so it pushes back on the thottle cable quite a bit which holds the carb closed. This can be done with the long brass nut on the PP cable or the adjuster with the two 10mm nuts.

• Baller_
Nice engine, looks great. Do you like the SGPP in combo with the Weber/Carter carb? Check all of the cable joints for wear, at both ends as the pin joints can wear out and bind.

Rod, make sure that your throttle cable is perfectly level at the point where the servo cable connects to it. If it isn't level, it will bind when you come off the throttle and will hang the revs at 1,200--1,500 rpm. I ran into this problem on my old boat after swapping the intake manifold for a taller one. A bracket to adjust the height of the throttle cable solved the issue.

• Baller_
Another thought, make sure the cable is not pulling the throttle plate open at the throttle idle position and requiring a lot of spring force to overcome the pull at the idle setting. To check, remove the throttle cable and check the idle position. To correct lengthen or unscrew the throttle cable attachement joint which will then put more closing force on the throttle plates at the idle setting.