Best practices, Tips on Inserts Repair

ToddL

• Baller
I have a D3 RCX where the front two inserts came out when I unscrewed the binding bolts. I know many folks work on lots of skis. Do you have tips or methods to best reinstall inserts?

• Baller

If the ski is not too stripped out and you can salvage the old insert, it is easy. Hold the insert with vise grips and unscrew the stuck screw. It's OK to put some minor damage to the outside threads - actually it helps them stay bonded to the ski. Make sure a fair amount of threads are OK.

But if you can't get the stuck screw out or completely strip the outer threads or the inner threads are ruined you will need new inserts. Also if the ski is heavily damaged in the insert area you will need an oversize insert. You probably have 8-32 screws and the old insert is probably about 1/4 inch outside diameter. There seem to be two styles of inserts, different by the diameter of the insert for the same screw size. Get the smaller diameter if the ski is OK. Get the larger diameter if the insert ripped out of the ski. Ace hardware seems to carry only the oversize ones - but you might get lucky. If not, Woodworking parts sells them over the internet. I use brass inserts so don't stress if you can only find brass even if the old ones are stainless. The ski companies or a good ski shop should also sell them.

Once the insert is on hand, prep the ski. Make sure it is completely dry! I blow compressed air into the hole and warm it with a heat gun (be very careful with the heat gun!). Usually the threads in the ski are OK and you are ready to bond the new or salvaged insert in.

In the rare event the threads in the ski are buggered up and you are using the oversize insert, drill the ski with a drill that is the size of the body of the insert (not the threads). Don't go too small. Find a lag screw that is a similar size and thread the ski with that. Now you can bond in the oversize insert.

To bond in the insert, use JB weld. Get a 1" long phillips head 8-32 screw and nut. Screw on the nut first then the insert. Screw the insert in so all the threads are filled with the screw. Run the nut down and tighten it against the insert firmly as a jam nut. Put JB weld down the hole and coat the outside of the insert as well. Screw the insert down the hole. If it is tight and the phillips slips, you will have to drive the insert with the jam nut. Drive it all the way in until the nut is against the ski. Let the epoxy dry overnight.

After the JB weld dries, back the screw out. Make sure that you hold the jam nut with a wrench or pliers while you back the screw all the way out. The nut will probably be bonded to the ski so screw the screw back in just to the depth of the nut and break the nut free.

Finally, put anti-sieze on the mounting screws (all of them) and the inserts will unscrew properly in the future.

It's actually quite easy. You really have no reason to upgrade to that new ski you are coveting - but we won't tell if you need the excuse.

Eric

What Eric writes is exactly right. Only other thing I do is put a release agent on the jam nut, and screw- The JB Weld will not bond very well to them then, and it is easier to get them apart, and off/out of the ski. Lots of stuff works as a release agent- even Chapstick in a pinch, but I prefer stuff that wont 'migrate' to and contaiminate the surfaces I want bonded.