When & how to teach youngsters a 1-handed turn

Murrski

• Baller
My 9-year old is starting to run the course (including gates) at long line and slow speed. I'm in no hurry to start teaching him 1-handed turns but he sees me do it so he wants to do it. What are your thoughts on when and how to teach kids a 1-handed turn?

• Baller

my son is currently running -15 @ 30 and I'm in no real hurry to get him off his two handed technique...

figured he's got to make it thru 34 before I start pushing hard; and fwiw, when I have problems in spring with my own 34/22 the first thing I do is limit my handle release and keep the elbows tight

• Baller
April Coble said to move kids to the one hander when slack starts being a problem. She taught my son to go to one hand by basically telling him to put his outside hand on his hip. He was running into 30 mph on occasion when he started doing the one turns.

• Baller

In retrospect, I think I might have chosen to start one hands turns a little sooner. When I "needed" them (because I was shortening the rope), it was an awkward transition that took a lot of time on open water. Of course, I also didn't have anyone coaching me who knew how to do a one-handed turn properly...

I guess my thought has been to not be in a "hurry" to introduce it, but also not to purposely hold off on it, especially if a kid/pupil wants to do it. But I haven't actually had a chance to put that theory to work yet!

• Baller
My daughter learned one hand turns when her top pass was 26mph and it was 50/50. I never would have thought to have her do it but, a coach did. She had it mastered in 2 days and never looked back. You never know what will hang up a kid. I have to try very hard not to let my preconceptions of difficulty show. I could analyze to death falling off a log. Kids don't analyze and think up a 100 reasons why something is difficult; they just do it.

• Baller
I obviously didn't start my daughter soon enough because she caught on right away and she was able to make passes she didn't have a chance to make before. She said "Dad, why didn't you make me do this a long time ago?" I didn't have a good answer. I've also taught others as well and if you have them wait 'til 34 MPH they could develop a bunch of bad habits and not progress as quickly.

I'm with Eddie! I took a couple sets with Matt Rini and saw his 7 year old daughter tearing it up with the one handed gate. Came back home and showed my 9 year old daughter the video and she had the hang of it the first day she tried it.

I think you just wait until they look like they are showing confidence on the water and make the introduction of new technique.

• Baller

One of our college coaches is a big believer in teaching with 2 hands. His thinking is the 2 hands improve the pull. You will not make the course without a reasonable pull. His kids do quite well.

Of course, when they come ski with me the first thing I have them try is a 1 handed turn. They pick it up very quickly and often get practice PBs with me. I think that the 1 handed turn improves the turn dynamics. I introduce that once a skier starts actually getting around buoys.

There are many right ways to coach. As long as the kids are excited about skiing you are doing it right.

Switching the kids to no hands on the handle is the real goal. Toe tricks rock!

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski makes a good point. Maybe what makes the most sense is 2 hands until you get your basic leverage position down, so that you don't have to be confused by anything else. Then add the 1-handed turn once the body position looks decent?

Seems to make sense. Maybe I'll use my daughters as test subjects :).