Nick Parsons is at my ski club

Taelan28

• Baller

He's a great guy, and Hortons right... He is the funniest man on tour.

Will is back state side i beleive, but he was over there.

Go take a coached set with him, it will be worth it. Have someone in the boat to video both your skiing and what he says so you don't forget and you have visuals of what he is talking about.

The whole day was good. Often times different ski clubs will have different preferences to skis, one in Jecheon prefers Elite, another in Chungju prefers HO. I thought this club was predominantly D3 but today I never seen so many GOODE skis before. Stacy mentioned how she was surprised how many high end skis there were yet few people could run a pass.

Nick got the rockstar treatment. They had a big banner for Nick, a translator, t-shirts, lunch, flowers--yes flowers, and a ton of photo ops and ski signings. His name was on Reflex and D3 skis alike. We loaded three boats full of people to watch him run a couple passes. Nick spent most of the day adjusting skis and giving personal tips to people on the course. I personally didnt get any lessons as his presence and knowledge was more valued by the koreans than me. Maybe I should have, oh well.

Credit to David Goode for setting this up. There are hundreds of ski clubs in Korea (albeit most of them are bottled up on one area) and Koreans like to spend their money on top quality products whether it be cameras, mountain bikes, motorcycles, or hiking gear, so it was wise to reward a store which has sold a lot of GOODE products with a GOODE representative. Everyone ate it up. One girl who started skiing last year and skis with two hands already had a Carbon Nano Twist with hard-shells.

Will Asher was in town and Im sure he got similar treatment.

Any major manufacturer sending someone to Korea for a week long tour is a good idea due to consumer habits here to buy high end stuff and nothing less. Will spending $2000 for a week long tour giving tips to 100 people result in $3000 in profit? Maybe, but thats not for me to calculate. Either way the people here loved to see a real pro.

• Baller
I personally didnt get any lessons as his presence and knowledge was more valued by the koreans than me. Maybe I should have, oh well.

You SHOULD HAVE! His knowledge SHOULD be valued by you just as much as the koreans!

Go out for a beer with him and just pick his brain very cool and funny guy!

Why is it so painful? This girl started skiing last year with a friend and loked it so much she continued. She also broke her ankle doing it last year and still got up to do it again. She said she feels alive whenever she skis thus she thinks about skiing all day every day. Fortunately she has a car and drives 50 minutes every morning to fulfill her desires. The kicker is that a carbon nano twist isnt $2000 here. Its actually $3000 and the bindings are similarly marked up. So although it may be painful to you that she gets all this highend equipment because it doeant fit her skill it actually fits her desire.

@MattP heres a third hand story for you. my high school photography teacher had a friend who went scuba diving. On a trip the friend saw Lars Ulrich of metallica when they were on hiatus. He poonted it out to another man THATS LARS ULRICH the other guy said go talk to him. He did and he made no mention of metallica or anything. They talked for hours on end about the dive. The Lars called the guy out. Come on you know who i am. He confessed then they started talking about music for hours on end. Inspirations notalgia comparisona etc etc. I butchered the story a little but the point is there.

Also the tips the driver have given me are plenty. I can also watch youtube videos and understand them. The koreans cant but they had a translator on hand. Besides they are the ones who bought Goode skis. Not me. Sure it would have been nice to get some pointers but like i said my driver givese enough good tips. He drives people 10 hrs a day and can tell what im doing just by looking in the mirror. Further ive already taken all the advice i could about my ski settings here. The bindings are where they need to be and the fin is in the same place as the last guy who ran 38 off with the ski.

• Baller

@Taelan28 yeah I know how that goes. I travel and hang out with pro skiers pretty often. I am no pro by any means but when we go out, we rarely if ever talk about skiing, thats like going out with friends from work and talking about work... I talked to Parsons about bread making, and brewing beer for a good while and just random stuff last time we were together. You don't have to talk skiing but trust me he (and other pros) will if you bring it up and it came up.

Its the same way with the pro athletes from our local teams here in ATL, local musicians and actors I have been fortunate to know and spend time with over the years. At the end of the day they are normal people just doing what they know how to do and trying to make a living at it.

I still would have fully used that opportunity to its fullest. When will another pro come to your club again??