Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Boat value

WBLskier

• Baller
My neighbor is unloading an old 86 supra comp. that runs well and has 1 year old re-done upholstery for $1,000. I told a good friend of mine to buy it. He probably will. I don’t need it, but if my friend doesn’t buy it I am thinking about buying it just to re-sell it. NADA says it is worth $4k but that site usually seems low compared to what boats are selling for. Any thoughts on what it might realistically be worth?

• Baller_

I owned an 87 as well. If the gel is good, motor runs strong and the interior is done well,(hopefully without the rainbow trim) you should get more than 4K. I'd say closer to 6K. Put a chin up bar on it and get even more. As far as skiing goes, it's a fantastic shortline boat. Tracking and drive ability are way better than any 80s boat. The design speaks for itself and was decades ahead of it's time. Everyone eventually went to the down turned nose and dropped rear end after that boat came of the line. It took them a while but they all have lines from that closed bow and even the open bow. It was decades ahead of it's time in every respect. Most of the 1980s boats were seriously boring looking compared to it and that's what buyers will see in that price range... boring. Few new mine was almost 2 decades old when I was tooling around in it. If I came across that boat for 1K I would not hesitate, buy it and flip it.

Funny, I just came across my add when I was looking for a pic of a Supra. I believe I got what I was asking. Sold in 2004. I should take that add down. Was wondering why I was getting call as early as last year. Wish i could have afforded to keep it.

http://www.boatsville.com/boats/fl/sanford/supra/7739

I missed out on a 98 SN 196 OB a couple years ago with 600hrs for 6K. Just needed an interior. I would have flipped that boat for twice that.

• Baller_
It's worth that in parts. Things to check and keep up with. The pylon is held on to the wood stringers by lag screws not through bolts. Check them often and for sure before he uses it. Same with motor mounts. Wood floor will also be an issue. I didn't let the floor get soaking wet very often if ever. Eventually it will fail. I ended up (after 12 yrs and 1400 hrs) replacing it with a composit floor and it was well worth it. Really a solid boat if you keep up with general maintenance and with the extra dollars he saved he could have someone else do it. Post pictures of it here. Would love to see what a $1000 can get. If it wasn't a stolen boat already, he sure did steel it for that price.