A2 size?

• Baller

A few weeks ago I skied on my ski partners 66.5 A2. I’d only skied a handful of times the past 9 months and didn’t expect much out of the set, I just wanted some time on the water.

After 2 passes my feet were killing me from bindings that were too tight and I almost bailed on the remainder of the set. I had a borrowed ski, borrowed gloves, borrowed vest, borrowed rope and borrowed handle. I just wasn’t feeling it.

But I stuck with it and now it’s going to cost me. :-) That ski was phenomenal! I ended up skiing into 35 off and within 2 buoys of a PB. So now it’s time to ditch my old A1 and move on up to an A2.

My question is what size. I usually weigh 185-190 during the ski season so I’m right on the cusp of a 66.5 or a 67.5. I can get a great deal on a 66.5. Should I go for it or would the 67.5 be better? Are the A2's sizing up or down?

• Baller
My son at 145 lbs is riding a 66.5 though not at short line. It seems like the 67.5 would be a good fit. I am on an A1 as well and wondering if a new ski wouldn't hurt. I definitely don't think the ski is holding me back right now though.

• Baller

As a not terribly strong fellow, I usually prefer a slightly shorter ski if I'm near a boundary. I tend to guess that someone who is more powerful will prefer the additional behind-boat angle of a larger ski (again, if weight is near a boundary).

To be clear, I made this up. It seems to work for me and sort of make sense, but I can't recall anybody else ever saying it's the way to make a decision.

• Baller
I tried a 66.5 and a 67.5. I'm 180 and will never be lighter. 66.5 rocked right out of the box. Just fun to ride. If I were just going to ski 32's all the time and just enjoy riding the ski, it would be it. However, those skis like to turn in and at 35 it kinda dies out at the buoy line for me. The 67.5 I had just felt nothing like the 66.5. I assumed that it would be the ticket but, to me, just felt like a totally different ski. It did maintain its width though. Our water will hit the 90's and I knew that the 66.5 was going to sink in it. The S2 is mighty interesting. I tried one and sent it back. Am going to try another one. That ski gets WIDE. Finlayson coined the phrase "Wide is the new early" and the S2 fits that. Just need to find one that turns the way I want. As I am sure that you know, skis are like snowflakes; no two ski the same. There is a reason every top skier you know tries a lot of different skis to find a "good" one. Also, the skis that are sent out for "review" aren't from the bottom of the pile.

• Baller
I would go with a 67.5 bigger is always better. It will carry speed better and be more forgiving. You are riding at about the same weight I am and I like the 67.5, I would even opt for a bigger one if they made it. Let me know how it goes. Make sure to put the bindings back from stock, it will make the ski way better.

• Baller

@LakeOneSkier in the April issue of Water Ski magazine there is an interview with Bob Lapoint where he says "if you are debating between two ski lengths I would always recommend going with the bigger ski."

Since Bob Lapoint designed the ski it seems like it might make some sense to try the 67.5".