Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Who Remembers When Bob LaPoint Jumped?

MBD3

Am I the only one who remembers when Bob LaPoint was one of the best jumpers in the world. He was so fun to watch

and even tougher to ski against. Here is a shot I took of here many moons ago.

049b7af1897ca65321a12e7fe68b61.png

• Baller
Cool pic. I remember him taking a couple of brutal out the fronts towards the end of his jumping career. Story was he bruised his heart on one where he took a ski to the chest. Ow. I saw one of these falls at Bell Acqua Lake 1. Early '80s.

• Baller

I believe he might have taken Nationals at Tivloi Gardens in Michigan, maybe 1978 or 1979. I think @Ham Wallace was there jumping as well, I just remember his name for some reason.

The big deal watching back then was Ricky McCormick doing a flip on two trick skis.

I think I had just run the slalom course for the first time that summer and me and a friend went to watch Nationals, and that was our first exposure to tournaments.

That was still back in the day that Wayne Grimdich still owned the record at 180'. Most of our jump skis were 72" to 74". Lucky Lowe, Bob LaPoint , and Ricky McCormick flirted with that record for several years. Lucky actually came the closest at the Masters popping off one that was 178'.

• Baller
I recall in March of '79 sitting next to Bob (part of a big group of skiers) in the video lounge of the Aspen State Teachers College (great name for a bar, eh?), where they showed sports videos and they showed the shot of his fall where he bruised his heart, then again in slow mo, and again. Great reaction from the crowd and no one in the crowd who wasn't part of our group had a clue he was sitting right there. He just leaned over and said, "Anyone who would do that must be nuts."

• Baller
@jimbrake , @Nando that fall was at Groveland in '77, I used that fall to end a film I produced for MasterCraft on their pro skiers. The Hall of Fame should have a copy of it, as do I.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
both bob lapoint and brother kris suffered serious injuries from jumping with kirs's bothering him for many years after. but if the story i was told is accurate brad lapoint may have gotten the most serious jumping injury of all of them. any one who knows that story will know what i'm talking about and the rest of you may not even know there *was* a brad lapoint.

• Baller

With his weight and speed, Bob would be the one to find the "Mystery Screw" at one of the Tour

sites. The local skiers would insist every year that they'd found & fixed it, but they hadn't. We

finally found it, not right at the waterline, but 2-3 feet up.

• Members
Look at Bobs arms. the dude had some guns. I pulled him through 38 off with a 240 hp 1 to 1. on a 1500 foot lake. In 1979 or 1980. lol that was scary. I also instructed Bob how to ride a dirt bike. The deal was, I would teach him how to ride, he would teach me how to ski. Well, he was a good student, and was ripping it on a dirt bike in no time. He was not a good teacher, as I never did get any good at slalom skiing. lol. lot's of good memories riding with B

• Baller

Gary Warren can confirm, but I think that Bob was the final jump distance record holder at the old

Marine World park in Redwood City. 178' @ 5 1/2 ft? When the tournament re-started at the

new park in Vallejo, they had more room. Didn't need whip-type approach. Went to 6' ramp.

• Baller
mmosley889, yup pretty sure it was your film. mwetskier- looks like BLP is wearing the famous Turbo shorts. They (or one of their shorties) were what everyone had to have for about a year when I first started. No enemas with them, but no padding either.

• Baller

Back in 1979,I was lucky enough to ski with Kris & Bob LaPoint, Cathy Marlow and Deena Brush(Now Mapple) with there Maha Master Craft at Berkeley aquatic. Got to keep time. Bobs spray was hitting the back of the boat at 38' ran it like 3 times. That's when the record was 4 at 38 for years. They were testing the yellow MAHA. Funny part about it was Cathy Marlow was skiing on Kris's ski and getting into 32 off she wore double socks. Bob and Deena also took some jump sets. Pretty cool when your seventeen and watching your idol. Also Deena was driving Bob and what ever time he ask for 15.9,16.0 he got who needs zero off.

• Baller_
Had the Turbo shorts. Blue jean cut offs were also effective, popular and much easier to acquire. Boy, you didn't want to jump without something with a tight weave covering your backside. Some folks spend the day at the spa getting no more cleaned out than could happen in one inopportune landing.

Lpskier

• Baller

I remember many of those events at Berkeley Aquatic park. Seeing the pros of the day such as Deena Brush Bob and Chris La Point ski was pretty cool. If I am not mistaken the reason Bob quite jumping was because of a bad crash that bruised his heart. A cardiac contusion.

@dumbass don,t know if you remember, the coors lite tour used Master craft with a 200 HP outboard that was just as responsive as todays boat and that was also hand driving. Now what could of he done with todays skis you are right who knows. would of been great to see.

You guys are old. The difference between you and me is I never got good. But I remember watching the LaPoints break the record after record, Syderhoud muscling through keeping pace, and one of my favorites was Jimmy McCormick on his tricks. Those were the days, my friends. Now I can't find any friends who will still waterski with me. "Take my grandkids," they all say.

• Administrators
@Nando I was there. I couldn't have been more than 15 feet from the man her when she did that interview. Not really sure why I remember it since I was only 9 years old at the time

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

The "Jump The Shark" double was John Steinbush, a good mens jumper at the time.

Now, back to BLP: I believe that he set the jump record at the Old Marine World in

Redwood City, CA. With whip-style jumping at 5 1/2 feet. Was a milestone event at

its time in the 70s and 80s. Wicked short venue for jumping; only about 1050 feet long.