Where should I spend my time in practice?

webbdawg99

• Baller

I'm having an internal struggle on how much time to spend focusing on particular line lenghts.....

Here's the scenario: I ski 2 sets, 2-3 times per week....4-6 sets per week total. My goal for this year was to get my ranking average into 38 off. I decided to spend more time practicing 35 this year than I did last year. It has paid off as I have run 35 in my last 2 tournaments. However, when I get to 38, its almost like I'm just taking a stab at it. I've only cut to 38 2 or 3 times this year in practice.

My typical first set is 2 passes at 28, 2 passes at 32, and 2 passes at 35. My second set I make a tournament round. 28, 32, 35, 38, back to work at 35.

I'm very consistent at 28 and 32. I'm currently running 35 about 60% of the time.

I want to spend more time on 38 now, but don't want to neglect or overlook my other passes.

Any suggestions and or advice on what my sets should look like to better prepare myself this year?

• Baller

Well, the bad news is that -38 is dramatically harder than -35, so that sense of "just taking a stab at it" may persist until you get better at -35. However, I feel I get a lot of value out of trying -38s -- and every so often I manage to run one!

One of my favorites is a set like this:

As soon as I run -35, move up to -38.

Try -38 about twice. (If run it, try -39!)

Go BACK to -35.

Repeat entire cycle until tired.

This makes sure I get the "reward" and the important learning experience of working at -38, but also a decent number of -35 attempts. Also, I'm amazed how the "going back a pass" method makes a pass feel easier and can teach you something about how you should approach it when you encounter it in the "normal" progression, too.

Because of that last bit, when I'm skiing well I'll trying a -39 or two, just for the "going back feeling" at -38.

• Baller

One very good skier in MN has said to go straight out at 32 off. Ski very few 28's with the idea that you will only be dealing with 6 feet difference in rope between 32 and 38.

I did this last time out running 3 sets, no 28's. Took a shot at 38 at the end of set 3 and got 4. Thought I was running it which was the problem...great first 3 balls, gotta quit thinking.

I'm going to toy with this idea for a while. So far 35's good...I've missed only two so far this year but as Than says 38 is a bugger.