Mastercraft's New Star

rodltg2

• Baller

Yeah, I know this is a waterski forum, but I had to share MC's newest creation . This boat is crazy looking to say the least. I don't know if anyone here has followed what has been going on with this boat, but its has turned into quite a debacle!

This is MC's next genration Xstar. It made its debut at surf expo as the next greatest thing, and industry changer if you will. It then disappeared and no one heard or saw the boat for awhile. Apparently it needed some refinements before the productions models were available. It then re appreared and made its tournament debut last week up against the new Nautique G23. The Nautique got great reviews , while the new star was not well recieved. Anyhow, just thought I would share this as it is crazy looking !

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/MB20boats20golf201180.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/MB20boats20golf201176.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/MB20boats20golf201177.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/MB20boats20golf201172.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/MB20boats20golf201167.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/MB20boats20golf201156.jpg

• Baller
The crease is Mastercraft's new styling cue that all new designs will carry. It started with the new X30. When we pulled the wrap off of the first X30 around the end of december I wasn't too crazy about it. It's growing on me, though. I think the darker colors tend to look better with it. Charles has an X30 on the lot that is one of the sickest boats I've ever seen. As far as the X star goes, it was not slated for start of production until April(for june delivery) even though the prototype was being shown in December. Only one prototype existed, which is why it wasn't available much. That one boat was being shipped all over the country. They then pulled it back in to finish production details so they could begin spraying molds in late april.

• Baller
One cool thing about the XStar s that rear seat with the aluminum grab handle. It converts from a front facing seat, to a rear facing seat, to a complete bed just by picking up on the handle and sliding the seatback to a different position. The X30 got that too. Pretty trick and versatile.

• Baller
Check out their video released yesterday of team rider Harley Clifford doing a wake to wake double tantrum (actual backflip, not a trick backflip). That had only been done previously off of a double up by less than a handful of riders.

• Baller
If you could add that "bat boat" bat tail to the MC...I might buy another one....OK maybe not. If they ever cross the interior design of a SN200 and the exterior of the new MC design....I may just puke!!

• Baller

Do those up in camo and Uncle Sam has an instant flotilla of PT boats.

Where's McHale when you need him? Looks like Ensign Parkers running the show now. Like I said "Fuggly"! Probably cheaper to buy a battleship!

• Baller
The lime green is one off. Or I believe that's still the plan. I think when we looked a month or so ago, an orange color was the only interior color you could get. You won't see many of these. Unlike the previous X-Star hull which had multiple molds. This one only has one mold. Which means a max run of about 30-35 a year like they do with the X55.

• Baller
I certainly hope the new Prostar doesn't share these design cues. I also find it odd that they're only using one mold, in anticipation of low sales. Our local CC dealer said there's a backlog of over 80 G23's, and that was a few weeks ago. What the heck is up in TN?!

• Baller

Scott, there's nothing up. It's not that they anticipate low sales. But MC has 13 models. CC only has 5 distinct models. So CC will sell more of the same model, although MC will sell more overall. Plus, they're not targeting the Xstar to the same audience. The G23 is targeted more towards the MC X35 and not the XStar. MC has numerous molds for the X35 because that is the bread and butter model for them, like CC expects the G23 to be. The Xstar is still a relatively low freeboard flatter deadrise hull while the G23 is a deeper boat for bigger lakes.

Also, CC is selling slots. There are not necessarily 80 G23's sold. There are 80 slots sold to dealers for production throughout the year. Big distinction there. Goes back to what CC considers a sold boat and what MC considers a sold boat. Essentially, CC considers an order to be a sold boat whether it's a stock order for a dealer lot or a customer order.

• Baller
CC considers a boat sold when it leaves the factory because it becomes a dealer problem. MC considers a boat sold when it leaves the dealer. That is one way the numbers a re skewed when CC says they sold 80 boats all they really did was sell 80 slots to dealers.

• Baller
The new xstar probably took priority and they didnt get it right the first time around. I'm only to assume the new prostar is going to be the same type of deal. I can't wait to see what happens with the new prostar. Sit back and watch the show!

• Baller
I saw a 10 year old chevy impala today...the one's that look like they were made of wax, got a little too warm and parts of the car got droopy. The x-star above came to my mind. If it is a design element on the new prostar, I hope it works better...not that I will be able to afford one anyway, but I do favor attractive lines.

• Baller

@ShaneH

I was going to comment on the 200 setting the bar too high, but I didn't want to come across as a smart butt. CC seems to be dominating this era of tow boats. I know I savor every pull I get behind my brother's 200. That boat is amazing in so many respects... MC has their hands full to top it.

• Baller
@swc5150 - Honestly, MC will tell you exactly that. They will tell you that CC knocked one out of the park as far as skiability goes with the 200. Also with consistency from boat to boat. That's why they don't want to rush a new boat out until it's 100% ready to do the same. I have heard mention that there might be some small changes to the 197 hull package for '13 based on what they've learned with the new boat R&D. Regardless of the status of a new boat, if you improve your current boat due to that R&D it's a good thing.

• Baller

I remember the complaints a couple years ago comparing the CC 200 to the 196. Fuel burn, huge size and a mediocre trick wake is not really "knocking one out of the park". Technically the Centurion may be a better boat. Malibus ski great - despite their size. And Mastercraft has arguably the best trick wake to make it maybe the best overall boat.

The only thing worse than a black boat (I know because I have an interest in a black 08 MC) is a black boat with a lime green interior. But I don't go much for appearances. I'd be happy repainting it primer white.

Eric

• Baller_
IMO a big knock out of the park snapshot in time was the early-mid 90's with the PS190 / Malibu Echelon / CC 196 boats and all the adoring comments on those boats on this forum seems to support that. I feel there was more of a lull in development during the wakeboard craze and now some resources are aimed back at the slalom market. Not sure I would agree that the new ones have knocked it out of the park, improved, yes.