How do you ski 34 MPH like 36?

SM

I skied a bunch of set in the last couple of days and was skiing really tired this morning. Normally I wouldn't ski this tired but the conditions and location were to good to pass up. I was skiing way under my normal ball count and even running 28 off was a lot of work. We sped the boat up to 36 and it was much easier, basically less effort and more gliding. My question is, is there a ski setup adjustment you can make that makes your ski behave like it does at 36 MPH for 34 MPH?

• Baller_
an S2 would do the trick. Ok that's not an adjustment. I gave the ventral wing a shot on a 9800sl that seemed slow. Completely changed the ski. Way easier. Also rode it with no wing. Also very suprising. Vast improvement. Did not think the no wing thing would work but it did.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what happens. I'm going to take a day or two off first, I woke up feeling like I was hit by a bus. Great weekend at Pangaea, NY.

I tried skiing wingless and found that I didn't end up in a stacked position at the end of the turn, especially my on side turn. I also didn't really notice a difference in resistance under my ski. Another thing I noticed was that I was skiing straight to the balls on my off-side pull, like if I didn't have enough tip in my setup. I tried 6 passes at 28 off and was always chasing it. I put the wing back on and started skiing "normal" again. Getting back to the original question, would running less total fin area give me more of the 36 mph feel? I'm guessing that it would let the ski ride higher in the water.

Thanks.

Thanks, @jackski, if I add any depth, my onside turn gets big and round.

I'm sorta in line with Rich's thinking.

The general setup of the ski is good, I'm just trying to get it to be a little faster/lighter feeling. I can't move the DFT any further forward so I was thinking I would take out 3 thou depth and 10 thou length, to preserve the overall relationship. Does this make sense?

• Baller
At 36 you pull less, and let the boat do more of the work. You dont need to do any fin adjusting at all. If you feel like you cant lose your speed at the ball give your wing more angle. Dont overthink 36, I start at 34 22 which gives me a good warm up go into 36 22 another warm up pass, then 28 and 32. Trust the speed that you feel at 36 and dont fight it.

@livetoski. I think you misunderstood my question. At 28 off I find 36 mph easier to ski than at 34 mph ( for the reasons you described), and I was wondering if there was anything you could do to your setup to give you that same feeling at 34 mph.