S2 vs. A2

Skihack

• Baller
My impression after riding the a 66.5 S2 for 6 sets and a 66.5 A2 for most of last year, is that the S2 is equally as stable, if not more stable, and requires less effort. I'm 185# and 10# heavier than last year. I can't believe the speed and width I'm getting from the S2. I did try a 67.5 S2 for one set, but found the 66.5 is plenty big for my weight.

• Baller

I rode both last fall and they are different. The S2 is very easy to ski and forgiving. The A2 is a great ski too, but requires more effort to ski. I found that if I relaxed on the A2, I would end up in the water. Probably why the A2 is better suited for 36. I ski 34 mph.

Kevin

• Baller
@ Ed Johnson: Just to be clear I'm a 28 and 32 off skier. I can drill a 28 anytime but have to be holding my mouth just right to run a 32. I know everyone is gonna think I'm crazy but I really thought the A2 was faster across course, more stable, and has a bigger "sweet spot". I'm not a pretty skier (RF forward) but I was really out of position all the time on the S2. I tried every binding & fin combo. The A2 ended up at factory recommended settings to the thousandth Except DFT .740. Stradas at 29.5.

• Baller

I have skied 3 sets on a 66.5 A2, 4 sets on a 67.5 A2 and one set on a 66.5 S2. At 6' 180, the 67.5 just seemed like a lot of work. Really was not as fast to me as the 66.5 A2. The 67.5 is out of the running. The 66.5 A2 rocked right out the box with one exception: it kinda died/ turned in too soon the last few feet before the buoy. I am starting to tinker with it to help that/learn to ride it better. Even when it was clear that I went the wrong way with the fin/boots, it was still skiable and had some elements that let me know that I can make it work. Just a good riding ski.

My one set on the S2 was the worst first ride I have ever had on a ski. Set up dead on the stock numbers. Could barely run a pass. I tried 10 passes and although I did run a few, I could not run 2 in a row. All at 28. Strange unexpected results. One pass could not get the ski to turn. Next pass turns went 90 degrees. Never at any time did the ski feel free or fast. I had one pass where I had it going only to have the ski spin out on the tail at 5 ball. I was balanced on the ski I swear. I can run 32 on just about any ski first set. Ran 32 fist set on Goode, RS1 (ran 35 second set), A2, Monza etc.

There are most definitely some folks who are loving this ski. What in the hell I'm I doing wrong on this thing? After the wacko set described above, I started looking hard at the ski and remeasured everything. It looks like the fin may be off center in the ski and or the slot is off center and or the slot is wider at one end than the other. At the front of the slot, the fin is jam up against one side but, centered in the slot at the back. Is set up so critical that with stock numbers it can be that bad? Suggestions appreciated cause I need to change something on the ski and give it at least one more ride before deciding that it just hates me.

As to the original poster's question: yeah the S2 is nothing like the A2.

• Baller
@wish I'll try it. I did read your comments on the ski. The only passes I did run, I ran them standing very tall on the ski with virtually no knee bend and never let the handle leave my hips. I am a natural knee bender so that was funky for sure. Could that ski really go from worst to first just with some tweaking? If I did not have BOS providing feedback to the contrary, I'd box that thing up and send it back.

• Baller_
To me it's a ski that needs to be ridden and not pushed around. At first I was the driver of the ski (pushing the tail around or jumping on thr front) thinking things like.....ok I should be turning now....or it's not slowing down so I'll slow it down. This did not work and in my experience did work on skinner skies and even a goode mid. When things did go well the site line was totally different based on where the ski was in the course (really wide and ahead of me at the finish) making me think I wasn't in the right spot. It took a while to get used to trusting my settings and more important the ski. When I rode the CoafficiantXsl (liked that ski out of the box) it did get as wide but I could turn it when I wanted to. Skinner tail on that ski. The S2 requires non of this and when I pushed it around it didn't react like the other skies. Now that I trust it and more or less just ride it and resist the boat, it out performs most other skies I've tried. Patience is reworded IMHO. But even now when I get introuble I can push it with better results. If you ski, like I did by being the driver of the ski and pushing it around, it may not be the best at first. For me....maybe not the worst to first but close. I felt the potential right away in parts of a set, but it was a learning curve to dial it in. I'll add that my skiing has been sparse at best since I got the ski. My friend tried it and did not like it. He came off a older Goode that is a bit small IMO and to go from that kind of effort needed to ski that ski to this one I think was to big of a style change for him.

I've been on a Strada for 2 years and really like the ski. I've only skied 2 sets on the S-2 and 2 sets on the A-2.

That being said IMO the two are nothing alike.

The S-2 could be my next ski if forced to buy another ski. It's fast and carries speed thru the turns very nicely (like the Strada). It's also very forgiving and doesn't mind being jumped on the front of the ski if running late. It worked well for me.

The A-2 likes to 'shut-down' speed wise in the turns (esp on my off-side). That did not work for me. On a positive note I felt the A-2 'held' angle behind the boat like a rail. I spent 2 sets trying to ride the tail of the ski in the turns in hopes the ski would stay out in front of me.

I'm 5'10"/160#'s 34mph running deep 38 on a good day.

• Baller

My S2 rocks... Boots Fwd 1/8th but no more than 1/4" ...Try fin 6.750 Jaws or 6.820 tips, depth 2.50, and DFT .735 to .740, wing 6 -8 degrees max. Stock settings sucked for me.

I used the carbon Fin off my Sans Rival SR2, since it had a Fwd. Mini Ventral and a Large Rear ventral. The Fwd. Mini Ventral really helped my Goode Mid. Nano, the Sans SR2, and the S2. Keeps the tip down off the apex and makes all those skis very stable.

• Baller
Followed @wish's advice and moved the front boot only forward to 29.75. Transformed the ski. Still not where it ultimately needs to be for me but, literally went from barely able to run a pass to feeling pretty good. Gets wide. I am now willing to invest some time to see if I can get it dialed in.

• Baller
@wish Thanks so much for saving me time and trouble. Since this ski demands enough tip in the water, did you try the binding at 29.5 and move the fin to keep the front down? What else did you try that felt okay? To keep my normal spacing, 29.75 would put my rear boot at 18.0. Now it is 17.75.

• Baller_
@ktm300 My fin numbers are above and I run my wing currently @6 1/2 degrees. 3 progressive adjustments helped me. Went from stock boots setting and ended up at 29.75. Wing was at 8 and ended up at 6 1/2. Also progressively moved the fin back to current number above. I think you will find as you take sets with the new boot settings, it will start feeling better and better.

• Baller
This S2 has been the best first ride of all the skis ridden so far. Can't really say the ski is that fast but it seems to be really smooth in the transitions into and out of the turns and through the wakes. I am really like Horton in that I don't want to say to much at this point. But, I am indeed speechless, and the ski has my attention.

• Baller
I don't feel that the S2 is that fast as much as it is efficient. It barely slows down, and you keep a more even speed throughout the course. Since you keep a more even speed, you don't have that acceleration, deceleration feeling.

• Baller
Greg Badal told me recently the best way to set binding placement on their skis was that if you were falling back on the boat in your gate glide, move the bindings back. If you were consistently too fast at the turn in or turning into slack at your gate turn in then move the bindings forward.

• Baller
I need some advice. I've been demoing skis and I'm probably going to keep my S2 from H2Osmosis. The question is whether to buy a 67.5 or a 66.5. Normally I'd take the 67.5 however my ski partner tells me I might try the 66.5 since I'm still in the demo phase. According to HO the 67.5 is 180 plus while the 66.5 falls 150-190. I'm 6' 2" 190 and ski 32 off 50/50 and still beating on 35. I'm coming off a 67 silvertop Strada. Thoughts?