EXO Forms and Adapter Plate

Ajskier

• Baller

Hello All,

Sorry this is going to be a little long.

I hope everyone is doing well today. I had started a discussion earlier this year about hard-shell bindings and I finally decide which ones that I was going to get. I went with the HO's and so far, after two sets, I really like them. However, I do have a couple questions and I am hoping that you guys might be able to help me out.

Not sure if anyone else is using it or not, but I had to get the adapter plate because my ski has D3 inserts in it. I was wondering with the adapter plate, does anyone know what the purpose of the middle plastic plate is used for? On the HO adapter plate it is split into three different pieces. One holds the toe piece on, and uses the top two holes, the rear holds the heel piece in place using the rear two holes, and finally the middle plastic piece that has nothing mounted to it. I am not sure what the purpose is and if it does not really have a purpose, I would like to get rid of it and save a little weight.

Also, besides for trying a friends hard-shells a couple of times, this is the first time that I have had hard-shells. When I measured my rubber boots before I took them off my ski, I was at 29 1/4" from the tail of the ski on the front binding. When I got the exo's mounted up, my front boot was 30" from the tail. However, I feel like I am more tail heavy on the ski now then I was on my rubber boots. I am really trying to concentrate on being way up on my front foot, but it still seems that coming across the course that I am on the tail a lot. Should I try to move the boots forward more or is there something else that I should be trying? I don't have a ton of sets under my belt this year, so maybe it will get better as I start to ski more. Just wasn't sure if anyone else that has switched to the exo's has experience this problem.

Overall, I love the boots. They are very comfortable and I feel that ski is even more responsive then before. I will give a warning to anyone that is thinking about getting them and skis on a ski that is not drilled for HO bindings, you will have to make a modification to the rear plate because it is only drilled for skis with HO inserts. I had a friend that works in a machine shop, drill out the plate to fit D3 rear holes.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Have a good day,

AJ

• Baller
With the adapter plate in front and back, it is needed in the middle to keep the entire system on the same plane. Without the middle adapter plate, the rail may sit lower on the ski. Also, keep in mind that as you adjust your binding forward and back, you MAY need to adjust the spring tension on the back release. I have had them for two seasons and have no complaints. Feel great and they have always released when I felt that they needed to.

• Baller

@Ajskier, I would be a little concerned about drilling the rear plate for D3 hole pattern.

My reasoning is that the upward force exerted on the release unit will get leveraged in a bad way causing stress on the skis inserts.

However I have seen pictures at webshops on the adapter plate where these holes were factory drilled so who knows?

Tried my Exo Pros today for the first time also mounted with adapter plate and was very pleasantly surprised how well they skied.

I have never been able to get used to hardshell bindings (including hybrids like RS-1) but these feel like I´m going to finally learn how to ski in ´shells.

Not to mention how comfy they are, and the adaptor plate seem to work very well, not a single loose screw after two sets even though I thought the setup looked kinda dodgy.

Did not think that the Pros were overly stiff either, felt supportive yet comortably plush.

• Baller

@AJskier It may be that you are on the tail because you have the bindings so far forward. Remember that your back foot controls the onside turn so if your body has force itself to step on the tail of the ski to turn it there, you're going to be on the tail going cross course. Your body will naturally try and find the balance point. For giggles, move the bindings back and see what happens.