Tournament 101

swc5150

• Baller
Could you guys give us potential tournament newbies a 101 on what to expect? You'll really have to dumb it down for us who've never attended one! Examples, what speeds/rope lengths do you start at? Are skiers seeded based on points / past performances? What are the age brackets? Can one just slalom ski, and skip trick and jump? What group do you need to be member of to compete, AWSA, or USA Waterski? Etc...

I suggest you hook up with a local skier as a mentor for this process. USA WS and AWSA has so many convoluted rules that you will end up bald trying to understand it before you ski in your first tournament. Contact the organizer of the tournament you are considering skiing in and ask for a few names of people who could guide you. You will enjoy your first tournament that way.

In general, you need to have a USA Waterski membership. Download the rule book so you know what division you are in, by age. Some tournaments also have an ability based division, so you are not skiing against a 39.5-off skier your first tournament. My state, MI, and Ohio have a great program. Your opening pass must be at least 16mph to count. Your opening pass should be one that you are confident it. Don't be disappointed if you fall on your first pass at the 1-ball. The stress and anxiety you will likely feel makes it tough until you get over the first pull.

You can enter any discipline. Most tournaments are slalom-only. So, do what you want to do.

One more time - get someone ahead of time to mentor you. You will have a much better time.

If you go to the INT first, you will be in company with a lot of beginners. It is a great way to get going and they are set up to make a beginner feel welcome. AWSA events are more localized, so you have an established local culture that may be different from one event to another.

Good luck and have fun. It is a great sport and there are a lot of skiers that will be very supportive of you. If in MI - contact me.

• Baller

1) Expect to meet a lot of cool people and HAVE FUN!

2) Expect to be unreasonably nervous, even though you "know" you don't really care what you run in your first tournament.

3) Expect to help -- your first assignment won't require any special skill though.

Start at something very easy for you, and make sure you've practiced that pass at home. In "Class C" AWSA tournaments, each age division has a minimum starting speed. If I recall correctly, Men II is 30 mph and Men III/IV/V are 28 mph, but they may have changed that. At my first tournament, I started at the minimum and ran a couple of passes -- and had a blast doing it!

Don't forget that everyone started where you are. Most of us remember our first tournament pretty well. Definitely tell people it's your first tournament -- they won't assume that just because they don't recognize you.

Logistics:

1) Bring your own handle (and of course ski, vest, gloves, etc.)

2) Most tournaments don't seed much or at all, but they'll post the running order so you know when you'll be going.

3) Age groupings don't matter a whole lot except for top speed. Men under 35, top speed is 36 mph. Most everybody else is 34 mph for top speed, although there are 32 mph divisions at the ends of the age ranges.

4) Ski whatever events you want.

5) You have to join USA Waterski, but can list your division as AWSA. (At least I think they still do it that way.)

• Baller

That could be a long explanation, it might be easier if you told us how old you are and what you typically ski.

Most tournaments are slalom only (I assume we're talking about AWSA tournaments, or are you talking about INT?)

Seeding usually based on past performance, if you don't have past performance, you'll probably end up first in your division. A running order is generally posted on site in several places.

Most skiers will have a general "target score" they're trying to achieve and will start somewhere around around 3 or 4 passes (speed increases or shortenings) prior to that "target score" they are shooting for. Most skiers I know are slalom only, but there are lots of trickers and jumpers as well.

If you're going to ski USAwaterski tournaments, you have to be a usawaterski active member.

• Baller
I'm 39, and have a PB of -35 @34mph. Now that is not in tournament conditions, with the added anxiety associated. I'm typically a deep -32 guy. After alpine ski racing for 20 years of my life, I always wanted to stay out of waterski competition, as I didn't want it to become work. Now that I'm older, I think it would be fun to have a little friendly competition, and hang out with other ballers, and learn from them. I don't have dellusional desires to run -41 someday, but wouldn't mind being pushed by others to improve either. I know we have a local tournament here in Chippewa Falls, WI, and MS's site isn't that far from me, so I think it would be fun to get involved.

Being 39 you would be in the Men's 3 division. Men's 2 goes from 25-34, Men's 3 from 35-44 and Men's 4 from 45-52 The max speed is 34mph. In AWSA/USAWS tournaments the minimum speed is 15.5 for all divisions.

How a tournament running order is constructed is up to the event organizer and I have seen many different ways to do it. Some seed within divisions, some seed everyone based on score, some do completely random order, some do some other sort of grouping based on drivers/judges/scorers needed. Typically the running order is posted before the event so you know when you will ski. The best way to figure this out is to contact the tournament director as each tournament could be different. -- Edited: The scores used to seed are typically pulled from the USA waterski ranking list which can be found at usawaterski.org. If you don't have have any scores you may be seeded as a zero score or the event organizer may ask you for your typical practice score and seed you that way.

AWSA is a grouping within USAWS so you just need to be a member of USAWS and you would select AWSA as your discipline or sport group.

As far as starting speed/line length I have seen it all over the board everything from 15.5 for W1 skiers on trick skis, 28off @ 30mph (for a M4 skier), 32off 34mph for a M2 skier going 36mph. Typical though is 15Off if less than max speed. If at max speed then whatever you are comfortable with. The idea is to select a line length and speed that you are comfortable running every time out no matter the conditions. I think most people tend to pick a line length that is 3-4 passes below their expected average score. So if you normally get into 32 you might start at 15off so that you would be skiing your 32 off as your 4th pass.

The other thing I can suggest is that tournaments can become very boring if you are just waiting around for your next time to ski. In the mean time ask questions of the officials and other skiers, as how you can help and become involved. It helps pass the time while you are waiting between rounds.

• Baller

Just about everyone you meet there will honestly wish you well and will be willing to bend over backwards to help you. Tell them it is your first tournament and let the boat driver know that as well. Skiers are superior human beings.

• Baller

Don't expect to ski your practice PB. My nerves kill me in tournaments and I've recently started participating simply to conquer my nerves. Maybe you'll not do as well as you'd hoped, however, lots of people will support your efforts. Tournaments can burn up an entire day sometimes. To pass the time throw yourself into helping at the tournament. Ask the Chief Judge for an application and start working on your Assistant Judge rating. They'll probably place you on the starting dock then move you to other areas. Good luck!

• Baller
When it comes time for your divison to ski you have more time than you think. Unless you're one of the first 3 off the dock in your division you have a little bit of time. This doesn't mean you shouldn't be ready because the people running the tourney will demand it but... if standing on the starting dock is going to turn you into a basket case before you ski, you can get your gear down there and ready, but you can stay away if you are down the list aways. 5 skiers is roughly a 1/2 hour if conditions are good and everyone is skiing their 3-4 passes. So, if your 8th off the dock out of 10 skiers in your divison, you have some time.

• Baller

Don't let your nerves get the better of you. I entered my first two tournaments in over a decade last year. I was able to run my average practice score 4@32 off 5 out of six rounds. Always start with a pass you know you can do in your sleep and keep going. It will help you get a feel for the boat, driver, and site. Borrowing from the movie Major League.. Give Jobu cigar and rum to take fear from skis...

• Baller

If running 32 off is a great pass for you...start at 15 and run it, then 22, then 28 and take your shot at 32 on your 4th pass. If you run it great take your poke at 35. If you have not run 15 in years and feel like you have a pretty legit chance at out the end gates at 32, start at 22 and then 28, 32 and take your poke at 35.

Don't let anyone discussing wind direction get in your head at the starting dock about starting length based on wind etc...just go out and do what you do. Think of it not as a tourney but a chance to ski 3 rounds behind a nice boat, a great driver, on a perfect surveyed course in (hopefully) great conditions.

Make yourself available to help out if you can...great way to meet great people.

• Baller

@Roger

Thanks for the heads up. That would've surprised me!

You've all given great advice!

@6balls

Good call on the -15's! I should start practicing them before entering a tourny. Being that we're not currently using speed control, having gone from an '08 to a '91 boat, that will also be a disadvantage. But oh well, I just want to do it for fun and to meet fellow ballers. I played a concert in front of 22,000 people once, and took a shot of Jose to calm the nerves. I definitely won't be able to go that route skiing:)

• Administrators
It is like our first day of school. Just go get it out of the way. You will make new friends and then the next day will be not so stressfull.... Unless like @MS you choke when ever I am on site.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@mrsms

I'm going to try to get over June 24th for the afternoon. I have a show that weekend, so I won't be able to compete, but I'd like to at least hang out for a few hours, and help out any way I can. Of course, I'll bring my ski just in case:)

• Baller
@swc5150- Dream big and go for it! My first tourney was in 07. Didn't know anyone there. Was hoping just to run my opener both rounds. 1st round went ok. Ran my opener (28), and ended up with 4 @ 35, which was a good practice score for me. My next round I scored 1.5 @ 38. That was after a re-ride at 32 from a goose in the course at 6 ball. Couldn't believe I tied my practice PB in my first ever tourney. Best part- I met a lot of great people. Worst part-its been all downhill from there:) (not really, just a few surgeries have gotten in the way:(