Tooth fin

eleeski

• Baller

Actually Brent, I am trying to solve a severe deficiency in the ski. This might be a reasonable tuning item. Maybe I don't have to build a new ski for the season. It was actually Bill Barrett's idea (or was he messing with me?).

Eric

• Baller_
I had one of those skies. It was a little gold fin about 2" long and was out of the bottom of the ski about 1/4" under the rear boot. Idea behind it was more holding power or holding angle through the wakes. The ski also had an hour glass shape infront of the boot to engage more tip in the turn. It did, and I remember many OTF on that ski. I think it was called the " vengeance ". It also had a metal plate that could be slid forward to stiffen or back to soften the tip flex. It had a rod system incoperated into the fin box that ran into the ski somehow that allowed flex adjusting of the tail of the ski. It was like the R&D guys threw every pissable idea into one ski. Talk about your adjusment nightmare. Adjusting tip and tail flex and the fin. That was just to much.

• Baller

The tooth fin got bent on the swim step. Plus it didn't seem to work at 32 off despite being an asset at 22 and 28. Additionally, it was weird and hard to control.

Listened to DW. The best hydrofoil idea I could easily come up with was a pan head phillips screw with the head 3mm off the base of the ski. That didn't work - at all. No good video - the ski just sucked.

So I rounded off the tail and took off all the accessories and went skiing. It's time to improve my style.

Eric

• Baller_

Eric, I was actually thinking more of the fin you used but rotated 90 degrees so the "fin" was parallel to travel not perpendicular.

Your test is interesting, I assume simply too much water disturbance.

• Baller
@ Wish, I think the ski you're talking about is an Obrien G4. My neighbor has one and has taken some really weird nasty falls on it. Always entertaining except for the hospital trip for a collapsed lung. Ouch!!

• Baller_
@thager yep, there was 2 kinds. Siege and Vengeance. Vengeance (I owned) had the crazy up front hour glass figure shape. Can you say OTF!! Ok, a run down of what could be adjusted on that ski. Tip flex-slide plate forward or backward. Tail flex-crank rod (stuck in fin box and ran to a forward plate) with an alan wrench. Tail flex again- remove one or both parallel skinny plates. Fin adjustment. Wing adjustment. Mini fin under the boots- remove or keep. Now that is a tweakers nightmare!!!7f65b91828769bc236469b1fc2d1f3.jpg

• Baller_
I like the saying above the skis. After many OTF and a trip to the emergency room (do to all the fine tuning errors) you may be the one making the tuna sandwiches for the rest of your buddies while you recover from various injuries. @eleeski Where you part of the O'Brien R&D back then???

• Baller

@Wish, if the ski was heavy, no way did I have anything to do with it. Ultralight skis rock! I did ski that ski a couple of times - but it didn't work for me. It was the Obrien competitor (same vintage) that I sliced down half of the ski and wedged a 2X4 in the front to make it wider.

The R&D is sidelined for a while. Back is shot. Not from skiing but lifting the steel I was welding. Maybe it was the ski. Or the jump set I took a week ago - yeah, I'll blame the jumping!

Eric