I keep hitting the skier buoys with my knee or shin...need help.

WBLskier

• Baller
I have an issue with this periodically, but lately I have been hitting pretty much every skier buoy with my knee or shin as I go by. I am skiing 34 and 36 mph 28,32 and 35 off. Seems to happen at both speeds and all lengths. It doesn’t seem to throw me off that much, but I am just waiting for a time where I hit it wrong. Is this a problem? If so, how do I go about fixing it?

• Baller

by being at this spot the line is at least 4.5 to 5 feet inside the buoy line, exactly where you want it on all line lengths if you want to be as efficent as possible. Efficient is good!

• Baller
I love the sting of a bouy on my legs or hip. Never actually been cut by one until last eveing. Felt it feel kind of sharp and thought, "that thing just cut me". Sure enough small cut when I got done w/ the set. Full set of bouys in works to replace the ones there now. Wondering if sun damage left one a little sharp. Oh well, hurt so good as they say.

• Baller
To present a slightly different view, I am not happy if I'm hitting buoys at -28 and -32, because this tells me I am not pulling as strong as I want to for -38. Yes, I am technically being inefficient, but my psychology is such that if I run -28 "efficiently" then I won't be able to get into the aggressive mindframe I need to run -38 efficiently.

• Baller
The pull from the skier doesn't change as the line gets shorter, however you resist more. If I pull harder I end up pulling long or losing angle off the 2nd wake as the line getsshorter because I can't hold the angle generated. In fact because its easier to generate speed as the line gets shorter its easy to be overly agressive at 28 & 32, at 38 & 39 if Im agressive I generate excess speed from too much angle that I can't hold after the 2nd wake. Since I'm not 6'2" and extrodinarly strong like AM I try to be in a resist mode all the time, thinking just resist and be more patient as the line gets shorter. If I start agressive at 28 or 32 it feels great, but my performance will suffer at the shorter lines Different for us all. As a smaller person I have found what works best for me. I want to think edge change at the 1st wake so it happens at the 2nd wake. I always try to ski as easy as I can, the trick at 38 & 39 is just take the angle you are given, which is more just because the line is shorter, and resist. Like Wayne G says good hockey players skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it is. In slalom we need to stay a step ahead all the time.

• Baller

@Rich -- agree completely on the aggressiveness. I'm 6 ft tall and 195lbs and stronger than most skiers. All I ever want to do is resist, not pull. If I pull, the ski digs in, the line stretches, and by the second wake I get pulled up fast to the inside edge and am fast and narrow. If I just resist the line and think about holding my angle, I keep the handle with me longer, stay on the outside edge longer, and get wider with less speed and less load at all line lengths. I think the combination of faster skis and ZO means that the skier can let the boat do a lot of work for them.

As for hitting balls, I ski a portable course (permanently installed) in a public lake. I don't inflate my buoys very full, but they still float high. I smack those somewhat regularly. When I ski a permanent course with the buoys pulled down, I never hit them.

• Baller

@WBLskier, besides the Goode buoy recommendation, the following are similar problems that most skiers would be happy to have

1) Hitting always the inside of the right gate buoy.

2) Hitting always the inside elbow against your body when changing edge

3) Hitting always your hip with the handle before hooking up at the buoy