2012 Connelly Prophecy - any luck & numbers?

skibug

• Baller

Hard case skier if not hard core.

'12 67" Prophecy

Reflex FB ~29-29.125"/ Wiley RB 17" (1" space rear toes/ front heel)

D-2.53/L-6.818/DFT-0.738/mini-wing-9.

Arguably the fin #'s seem atypical but they work.

The ski rolls on edge real well out of the turn & keeps on moving with tip down. For me it tends to finish the offside turn a bit hard if not patient in the reach. When patient in the reach very early passes ensue.

Under my feet it sees limited 12m action but will be the one I stick with to keep hacking away at blue. I've stunk up 2 tournaments on it but such attributable to dire need of revamping the gates (no more 1 hand crap).

I suspect the lifting "V's" under the sweet spot help with maintaining speed through the turn and with greater surface friction fore & aft of these 3 V's the ski has a tendency to balance better over the sweet spot, but who really knows?

It's a great ski!

• Baller

@Gloersen, thanks a bunch for the feedback, also, how much do you weigh if I may ask. I am assuming I should be on the 68" since I am 200 Lbs.

Those numbers are quite atypical, did you arrive there on your own or did you have help with a good starting point. They are quite a bit off from the published "factory stock" numbers and closed to what JB was suggesting.

Is it difficult to slow it down in the preturn?

• Baller_
I am on a 68 at 182 lbs. At present I am on the same binding and fin settings as were on my last Prophecy. I'll be skiing a lot this weekend, so maybe I'll make some changes. Once I am dialed in and comfortable, I'll post my numbers. I love the ski.

Lpskier

• Baller

@skibug,

I'm 180 on the 67", the water is still low 80's but don't anticipate the ski feeling sluggish when the high 80's is reached.

Not sure where to find published stock fin #'s. If I recall, out of the box it was 2.516/6.860/0.77/W9. After seeing a post by JB, thought wtf & gave them a try; onside smoother, width better, & offside curiously came around better (deep & short was expecting otherwise) which had been good at "stock". I'll add setting the fin is cumbersome with the "Viper" block; it's more like assviper!

Insofar as bleeding speed in the pre-turn, I'm not sure that I try to do this. If a good connection is executed it rolls onto its turning edge & carries out quite well in the pre-turn with a minimal change in speed at hook-up. If a good connection is not maintained and on the cutting edge too long then stomping on the front at the offside buoy and yielding a "back in it" turn is reasonably reproducible on this ski, so in that regard it "slows down" in the pre-turn, the tip stuffs rarely, most of that I attribute to set-up though, not the ski.

The new Connelly Prophecy!!! Rips.

The best ski ever!

Try short with the fin, back in the ski and deep!!!!

Feels like I'm fused to a laser beam trajectory and can drift on command!!! Sic!!

Numbers are relative to the waterski and the skier.....but just think of a skateboarder or surfer. They rock the casbah!!!! No bindings. They adapt!!!! I love tweaking my gear...and love adapting too.

I'm currently on a 66"Proph. stealths. Frt boot canted with nickels and rotated.25 in. Duck"toe out!" Rear boot15 5/8 canted with nickels and rotated .60in. Duck. Tongue!!! not loose, not tite, just SNUG! BLADE 6.82. 2.53 6.85 9winG !

JB

• Baller
@jamieb, thanks for the input. you nubmers were written as 6.82. 2.53 6.85...I get the 2.53 but one of the other two need to be the DFT; so is it .682 or .685....I am guessing it is the .685 but just wanted to be sure. Thanks again for the response and we look forward to your insight.

so Im testing one at the moment an I know they got whacked out numbers; windy as hell running very late for work - slap the bindings on and rush the set.

felt pretty good.... got out checked the foil - it was running negative (ie lifting the tail) school boy error I know. so tomorrow il crack out the cali`s, however has anyone actually got the factory settings for a 67?

current settings: .750DFT , 2.50 depth, 6.823 length

Used to be on an Elite, problem is I`m trying to compare and they are radically different.

feels very stable and calm compared to the Elite.... still trying to figure it out.

Everyone seems to have different settings.

If im honest I cant judge it yet, I have had 3 sets on it and two of them were with the above settings which I adapted from "factory" numbers that came from a very good source. I can normally assess things quite well but either my old ski was crazy wild or this is super smooth. I know out the back of the ball im moving to close of too quick, habit from my old ski that seem to snap turn. a couple of passes I stayed off the handle and was rewarded. I need to trust... going to move the fin forward for my next set.

• Baller

Went back to more conventional #'s. JB settings were cool when skiing stoked, but reproducing good results was waning. Feedback from another pro has me back at more conventional settings with more consistent results.

Might want to try ~.770-.775/2.5-2.505/6.835-6.845

This ski rips!

@Gloersen thanks , wanted to try today but 30 mph winds and rain isn`t really the best testing conditions..

having looked at allot of conventional settings mine do see similar the only difference being DFT, I seem to have mine slightly further back.

Im hoping the slight move forward will give me a slightly quicker offside, and drive the tip a bit more. if that fails il drop the tip a little.

other than that it is WAY more forgiving and consistent than my old elite.

• Baller

OK, rode the new ski (68") for 3 sets tonight....set it up using the some numbers close to (DAMN FIN BLOCKS WITH NO SET SCREWS!) what was posted above.

FB 29.750, 6.850, 2.508, .768, 8 degrees; went to 7 degrees on the 2nd & 3rd sets and that freed up the ski on the cast out. Offside turn felt great and the ski stayed down really nice and built progressive angle through the wakes....But....I felt the onside (2, 4) turn was slow and long. Some of it is definitely my poor position; but, I still want it to come around quicker. At the exit of the onside turn I get a little "catch"; just enough to cause the ski to hesitate. Not sure which way to go. I was thinking of taking out depth or pushing the fin forward.

Any suggestions?

• Baller

@Horton, thanks for the confirmation. That was the way I was leaning. Unfortunately, with these great non-set screw fin clamps you never get just one precision move, you tend to get all three. Now I am @ 6.850, 2.498, .769, 7°...see what happens tonight.

One more question for Horton. You mentioned that when you pushed the FB back to 29.125 the ski became hard to ride. What was the "hard" part; i.e. what did you feel? Unstable? Hard to turn? Slow? Fast? etc. I am just curious. Connelly doesn't give FB placement (or at least I can't find them); but the earlier versions of the prophecy seemed to have FB placements at 29.625 on the 68"; I am at 29.750.

Looks like I've ended up with the following

765    2.50        6.850 foil @ 9. - which seems to fall in line with the generall settings people are going with. My original settings were very stable but gave me huge arching turns. Needed to sharpen them up - think this is where il stay.

• Baller
@swerveit, if I stick with this ski, I will be designing or engineering a way to make this fin block positively adjustable in at least the tip and depth adjustments. With fixing two of the three freedom of movement adjustments; the third degree of freedom becomes much easier to deal with. I was able to do this on my elite. This fin block lends itself to some simpler options, I think. I looked at the D3 fin block mounting screw pattern vs this block and they do not line up. I know Fluid Motion makes and after market fin block as well; but, I am not sure if it would line up with the mounting pattern of this ski. I will post what I come up with.

• Administrators
as far as the binding settings... I think that is what you are asking. With the bindings too far back the ski is too lose in terms of roll. It wants to roll in too fast off the second wake and becomes a bucking bronco

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton, yes that is what I was asking about. I was just curious. The fin box is "workable" but it could be so much easier. I just don't understand why anyone would not incorporate a set screw fin box. We have $1000 plus skis, charge me a $100 more for a fully adjustable fin box with set screws.

Once ive found my settings it's set in stone for me.

So the fin box is really no biggy. @skibug, you see I thought the Elite box was the exact same

Level of useless, with the added bonus or serious corrosion! £1800 for a ski that the fin box has corroded onto the carbon!?? What ski have you come off and how would you compare??

• Baller

I was on a 2007 D3 Nomad RC; which I really love. It turns like nothing else I have been on and last year I rode about 6 different skis in search of something else to ride...just for the heck of it. I rode an elite for about a month and a half last year thinking it was the one and I came up with an add on adjuster so I could tweak it a little bit; but, alas the elite was not. I went back to my trusty D3. That ski turns no matter what you do; which can be good and bad.

I took out depth (2.498) and rode the prophecy for 3 sets tonight. The second set I moved the FB back .125"; it was not the right move. I just wanted to see what it would feel like; but, the ski just didn't initiate or finish the turn well. For the third set I pushed the FB to the original placement (29.75") and it felt much better. I also went from B3 to B2 on my 3rd set tonight to see if that would help and I think it did. I think, on B2, the ski finishes better which is what I think I need since it doesn't come around like the D3.

What I feel and like better than my D3 is the cast out, speed at the ball, the way the tip just stays down everywhere (without losing speed), and the way it just keeps building progressive angle through the wakes. I have to concentrate on more reach, standing tall at the ball, and counter rotating (which are all good things) with this ski; but, when I do...it really carves a nice turn and comes underneath me nicely. I only have 6 sets on it; by Sunday I should have a total of 15 sets on it and I think I will have a more solid opinion at that time.

1 buoy of pb, was easily on it... got puppy syndrome (over excited) and fell in... not even a crash or anything exciting, just a plop @ 5 ball.....

considering this is my first proper set with this ski set up to my liking im very impressed!

(off topic)

Here in the UK they get 10 in a YEAR!! and often get stuck with some , especially 66`s.... this should be a way more popular ski in my opinion.

My Prophecy demo just arrived. You guys have any more comments in the past few weeks?

@skibug, I was in Denver NC a week before the tournament at Little Mountain. I tried to get over to the lake anyway but schedule just didn't permit. Looks awesome though!

• Baller

Edit to my numbers:

6.838 (because i can't micro adjust the fin to 6.840)

I have tried running the binding back and the ski became harder and less predictable. I think you need to find the sweet spot for you and the length of the ski you are on. I am still really liking it. It is a keeper for me.

@dip, yes we are lucky to have access to such a great site with some really great skiers.