Wierd Browser Behavoir with Forum - Refreshing and Jumping

ToddL

• Baller
Anyone else seeing this problem? I'm running Firefox 12. When viewing a post in the forum, the message seems to repeatedly "refresh" or repaint on the screen. Also, if I am scrolled down a good ways, it will jump back up to a specific point near the top of the page. It seems to jump to a level where the left margin ends... you know... where the donate buttons are. Maybe this is an undocumented feature of Hortons? Just kidding. But seriously, is anyone else seeing something similar?

• Baller_
I took a bunch of stuff off my computers desktop that totaled around 4 megs of memory. This inturn spead up my computer and lessened the "refeshing" in the forums with vids considerably. It still does it but it's far better then it was. No idea if that helps.

• Baller
I have the problem also, but I have it on other sites as well. It all started when I upgraded to firefox 12. That seems to be the common denominator, it must be a firefox problem, not a BOS one.

• Baller
I'm using Firefox and the "new post" indicator that had a yellow highlight doesn't seem to be working any more. It used to be you could see what threads were updated. Now they seem to be in chronological order from the time they were posted but there isn't anything to indicate if I have already read the thread.

• Baller
Firefox is the best browser. It has built in spell check. It it open source. Its not run by the monolith Micro$oft. It has far less quirks on MOST websites.. I love BOS.. and I love FF.. I just want them to play together nicely.

• Baller_
So just out of curiosity, if there is a high percentage of users, lurkers on this site using FF why wouldn't it be better marketing/advertising wise to make sure the site functions for all of the most popar web browsers??

• Administrators

FF = 14% of traffic. As I understand the issue it is a firefox function. It does not like the iframe. If someone wants to crank our 10+ thousand dollars I can totally redesign the site.

Or you can use Chrome.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I'm a lot more likely to stop using a site that doesn't support my browser than to switch browsers.

It looks like the the new post feature is working with FireFox again. Someone must have put 10 grand in the tip jar.

@Horton

Was on another site and figured out the FireFox problem, at least for me. Issue is that my PC is a ~17" screen (can't see all of the BOS menu bar) and the iMac is like 24" (no problem - can see everything).

If you're having the same problem and can't see all the menu items on the right hand side bar using Firefox, try this:

Go to - View -> Zoom and make sure that "Zoom Text Only" is unchecked. Then hit "Ctrl -" until you've zoomed out enough that everything fits on your screen. Voila!

Not sure if this solves the skipping problem but at least you'll be able to see everything now.

Might be even be useful to know for anyone using a smaller screen regardless of browser.

So in conclusion, Firefox is still the best browser and obviously it does work with BOS (you just need to know how to make it work on smaller screens).

@Horton

For me, it was definitely a zoom issue.

This is what the site looks like in the default zoom view: screencast.com/t/oDbbZY8XOW

This is what it looks like zoomed out (text gets smaller): screencast.com/t/wGbZIDWva4

Now I just need to tell my wife I need a new, larger monitor so I can view BOS in it's full size. That'll go over well! Kind of reminds me of this song: